Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

In muy opinion, it worths the money too.

Removing the on/off effect, like cj3206 says, gives you a more satisfying experience when riding the bike.

Without the tuner, you allways notice the moment when the bike stops pushing, but with the tuner is a smoother sensation.

Appart of this, you can get 29km/h. It is not a big difference, but sometimes, particularly in flat terrain, when you go with more people, it can be the difference between going on the group or to be left behind.

I have find the tuner on sale on amazon and ebay, but I think the manufacturer website is https://www.volabike.com
They have batteries for ebikemotion X35 too with more capacity than the original range extender.

Anyone has bought some of them?
I just bought the speed dongle and range extender at Volabike. Just received them today (Belgium). Will test them once the snow is gone in the streets in Belgium ;-) and will give feedback. Price for speed dongle is much cheaper than the competitors, it is only 99€ shipping included so that' s only 20-22€ per extra speed km ;-). Once I' ve test driven it on my Orbea gain carbon I will give feedback.

I just bought the speed dongle and range extender at Volabike. Just received them today (Belgium). Will test them once the snow is gone in the streets in Belgium ;-) and will give feedback. Price for speed dongle is much cheaper than the competitors, it is only 99€ shipping included so that' s only 20-22€ per extra speed km ;-). Once I' ve test driven it on my Orbea gain carbon I will give feedback.
Just ordered one myself for my soon to arrive 2020 Orbea M20i. Anxiously awaiting your review.

Hi,
I read the entire thread... It's a long one...

I would like to understand how come that when the unlocking tool is installed, the delivered power between 25 and 29/30 decreases progressively.
I know that without the tool the ebikemotion electronics do this as it knows at what speed the bike goes and it just applies a curve to progressively decrease power when reaching the 25 km/h limit.

But with the tool installed I understood that the tool makes the electronics believe that the bike is going always at 15kmh. So should the electronics not apply a constant power which corresponds (in the curve) to this speed regardless of what the real speed is?

The only explaination for the progressively decreasing power with the tool installed that I can think of is that the motor anyway cannot deliver high power when it runs fast, and the faster it runs the lower the power it delivers. If this is so then we'll never have an unlocking tool which can support the bike at speeds higher than 29/30 kmh as the motor is not capable of that.

The reason the bikes sold in countries with higher speed limits could be the fact that the internal gearing in the hub motor is different. This would also mean by the way that these bikes have less motor torque as the gearing is 'longer'.

What do you guys and girls think?

Last edited:
I am also interested on feedback regarding the delimiter.

I am strongly hesitating between and Orbea Gain M30 (2020 Model) and a BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Road Two, which has a mid E6100 motor with 60 Nm and a 504kW battery. I tend towards the BMC due to the fact that it can be derestricted easily (software) over 32 km/h. I am afraid that the Orbea Gain, which I find better looking, wouldn't be powerful enough on the flats and might frustrate me. I am a triathlete that can easily reach the 25 km/h limit with my current muscular bikes. The bike would be used as a commuter only.

I am strongly hesitating between and Orbea Gain M30 (2020 Model) and a BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Road Two, which has a mid E6100 motor with 60 Nm and a 504kW battery. I tend towards the BMC due to the fact that it can be derestricted easily (software) over 32 km/h. I am afraid that the Orbea Gain, which I find better looking, wouldn't be powerful enough on the flats and might frustrate me. I am a triathlete that can easily reach the 25 km/h limit with my current muscular bikes. The bike would be used as a commuter only.
I have a Dyodo w/the ebikemotion x35 hub motor and I initially thought the motor wasn't strong enough but after riding it for the past few weeks, I've come to realize that any more 'power' and it defeats the purpose of why I got an eBike in the first place which was to reduce my exhaustion after a long ride and to use as a commuter bike to/from work so I wouldn't sweat like crazy. This bike does all that and more.

Any more power and it's not a 'bike' in my book; it's a moped/motorcycle with pedals. Now, this is just my use case. If had a disability in my legs, the more powerful motors may be better suited for me.

Just my two cents worth.

CJ

Here in the US our level one bikes are restricted to 32km/h (20mph) which makes things easier. Personally, I have an Orbea Gain on order that just arrived at the dealer I ordered from. They should be shipping to me next week. The BMC has some nice features, but it certainly looks more e-bikeish with the large battery pack. It weighs quite a bit more then the Gain too. Just my opinion.

I just did my first ride with the delimiter.

Very satisfied.

I was often being dropped by my group of riders (60 years mean age but in very good form). They got me on the very slight climb's (less than 3%). I can now follow them in much more circonstances. And as before, on steeper climbs I'm much much faster (but I stay with them in order not to frustrate anybody).

The difference between 25 and 29 is really a great deal. And please, be aware that the power delivered between 25 and 29 is far from being full power... Do not expect that. But it really helps!

By the way, for those who wonder, the indicated speed in the emotionbike app is normal from 0 to 16 kmh and over that speed it gets stuck at 17 kmh.

I think (explained in a previous post) that we'll never have a delimiter that will bring more than 29/30 kmh as the motor (in the 25 kmh limited version) is not capable of that...
But for me that's fine. Like that cycling remains a challenge

Here in the US our level one bikes are restricted to 32km/h (20mph) which makes things easier. Personally, I have an Orbea Gain on order that just arrived at the dealer I ordered from. They should be shipping to me next week. The BMC has some nice features, but it certainly looks more e-bikeish with the large battery pack. It weighs quite a bit more then the Gain too. Just my opinion.
Hey, so how long did it take for the dealer to get the bike?

Also, weight is important when the hub motor is off. My Dyodo feels like a pig with the motor off. I would have paid more for lighter handlebars, stems, and especially the wheelset: 27.5 lbs is pretty heavy but I guess I shouldn't complain. Maybe I should lose a few pounds off my stomach... lol...

It took just about 10 days from when they ordered the bike to receive it from Spain. I'm now waiting for them to unlock the X35 system and update software before they ship to me. I think the Gain is about the same weight as your Dyodo, so I'm not expecting it to feel as light as my Focus Paralane with no assist. I don't think these level one bikes will ever be less than about 25 lbs.

Mine is currently at ca. 24.2 lbs (10.98 kg) hoping for 23.6 - 23.8 lbs (10.7 - 10.8 kg) when redish rear wheel to 35mm tubular rim ... :)

Large.
Needless to say, stock build came at 11.55kg (25.46 lbs) w/o pedals.

Last edited:
I have many ligher components from previous classic road bike. The biggest saves are on the front wheel, incl. tire, tube/tubular and thru axle (286.2g) crankset (138.5g), cassette (74.6g), saddle (47.0 - 90.5g, depending if I choose more comfortable Prologo Scratch Nack or lighter San Marco Concor FX), chain (16g). Small saves are on longer bolts (titanium), bar tape and expected also in new Hope rotors (haven't received yet, but weight saving wasn't the reason to order). I also expect further saving in rear wheel rim, spokes and tire/tubular, if once redish it (planned).
Note: Current 24.2 is also w/o pedals.

Last edited:
I received the dongle from Australia this past Monday, it was easy to install, and I've done two rides since. Both rides were in cold and windy conditions so I consider these preliminary results. It was hard to tell at times if I reached the cutoff or if it was the wind.

Note that I'm in the US, riding a 2019 US-spec Gain M20i, with a 20 MPH cutoff (32 KMPH).

It appears I'm getting about 1 mph out of the dongle. And the assist just drops off at the point, there's no ramp-down. Looking at the eBikemotion app on my phone, the speed is always 10.4 mph, even when the bike is stopped.

My belief is that there is a failsafe parameter being sent from the hub motor to the controller that the dongle has not accommodated. Probably motor RPM. So the dongle tricks the controller into thinking that the speed is 10.4 mph, but once the motor RPM is exceeded, the controller cuts off the power.

I'm hoping to ride today and tomorrow, and will mount my phone to the handlebar so I can see more accurately where the assist drops off, via the app. And via my legs of course.

I received the dongle from Australia this past Monday, it was easy to install, and I've done two rides since. Both rides were in cold and windy conditions so I consider these preliminary results. It was hard to tell at times if I reached the cutoff or if it was the wind.

Note that I'm in the US, riding a 2019 US-spec Gain M20i, with a 20 MPH cutoff (32 KMPH).

It appears I'm getting about 1 mph out of the dongle. And the assist just drops off at the point, there's no ramp-down. Looking at the eBikemotion app on my phone, the speed is always 10.4 mph, even when the bike is stopped.

My belief is that there is a failsafe parameter being sent from the hub motor to the controller that the dongle has not accommodated. Probably motor RPM. So the dongle tricks the controller into thinking that the speed is 10.4 mph, but once the motor RPM is exceeded, the controller cuts off the power.

I'm hoping to ride today and tomorrow, and will mount my phone to the handlebar so I can see more accurately where the assist drops off, via the app. And via my legs of course.
Well, that's not the feedback I was hoping to hear. I was hoping these devices would yield a 2-3 MPH increase and a smoother cutoff. I have mine ordered from Volabike, but I'm pretty sure they both are the same design.

Back