Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

Karl, I have not really tested the range on my Pinarello. Most of my rides are 30-40 miles flat trail by the riverbed(LA concrete rivers, lol) Half of the ride I don't turn on the motor! I plan on using this bike exclusively on tougher hill rides my group does once a month, I will provide some feedbacks on the range perhaps on the next hill ride. Here is the reply from ebikemotion on their water bottle battery extender! ebikemotion battery status.jpg

Timmyvee - could you indicate what App version you have and whether its Android or iPhone? (If its Android and you happen to be rooted it would be great to get a copy of the app)!!

My several months old Android version (Ver 1.0.74.4322) seems to be similar to Karl's.

Also... i did stumble on this 2015 ebikemotion YouTube video
where in min 1:30 there IS a screen shot of the wheel size selection... just not sure thats in the current version

Last edited:
Hi! New to the forum but also looking to get to 20mph. I think the option for wheelsize is for a normal Bluetooth connected bike and not EBM compatible. I was looking into the app but it has an encrypted database so it is not possible to change motorassistance for example to 120% or 150%. Does anyone have a picture of the controller used in our bikes?

Michiel - what country are you in? North American bikes from Orbea, Bianchi, and Pinarello all seem to be configured for 20mph. I asked Ribble in the UK if they would configure their EBM X35 bikes destined for the US market for 20mph but they said no... even though the battery/motor/controls seem to be identical to the US Orbea specification AND the EBM Motion Dealer app seems to address the issue. NOTE: I think key to tweaking the EBM software to allow for more than 20mph is access (a sign in) to the Dealer App although there may be serial number validation to a manufacturer or EBM database in that step too.

Also on the Android Play store, EBM now has different apps for each motor type... Looks possible that the MTB version using the BionX (BCP3) RC3 system may have wheel size options, but that wont help us with the X35 system.

I am in Belgium. 20mph is 32kph and more suitable riding with my sons. :) I will have a look into the dealer app but like you suggested I think they link to a database. Still if someone has a picture of the controller we could maybe make some alterations on that part. I also saw that the hub is 48v compatible.

If you have not purchased a bike yet, I'd recommend looking to get one shipped from the USA... Getting a bike pre-configured for 32kph would be much better than trying to alter the hardware on the EBM setup which would void your warranty etc.

Two Orbea dealers I'd recommend you consider are WrenchScience https://www.wrenchscience.com/Support/InternationalOrders.aspx?stylecode=R and R&A Cycles https://www.racycles.com/ra/international-shipping-policies Both have very good reputations and have large online operations.

WrenchScience has a very good online fit proceess where you enter your height and arm and leg lengths etc. and then talk or email with the sales person to customize the bike setup (saddle, bar width, stem length and height etc...). I'm not sure if R&A works the same way.

Shipping will of course be expensive, but should be worth the cost to get a working 32kph bike... If you look at these options, I'd be interested to know if there is a price difference between the EU and USA for the Orbea or whatever brand you decide on.

Good luck! And keep in mind that these bikes are in high demand in the the USA so most sizes are back ordered at this moment.

I guess I'm greedy... said I wanted to have a 20 mph limit and now that I have it, I now want 25 :)
But, seriously, 20 mph works very well for me.
Question: I did a 40-mile ride with non-ebikes and I got a great workout... in fact, I was trashed at the end. I'm 70 yo with A Fib that probably cuts my power in about half (maybe 60-70% less power) from what I'm used to in racing and serious club riding. So the Bianchi Aria eRoad allowed me to ride with everyone else. I did give up maybe 25 yds. by the top of some medium climbs to a 16 yo racer and a 73 yo national champion. I'm wondering how others are doing on their group rides. I'm guessing anyone that has an ebike also has some issue keeping them from being able to ride to their full potential.

Tell you in the spring ;). Hills sb fine, but I'm worried about the accelerations and fast flats over 20 mph... still lots of opportunities to get dropped, but I'm hoping that the energy I save on hills (I live in a very hilly area) will translate into power to muscle through on the flats.

I'd really had hoped to load up my current 17.5lb road bike with extra weight to see how 26.5lbs felt last fall, but health issues prevented me from getting that done.

If you put a larger tire on, will that increase the speed? How does the system know the wheel factor of your tire?

It's probably set to count x amount of revolutions within a given time period at the hub motor. So a larger diameter tyre will cause the hub motor to register the same max x amount of revs as before, while the bigger tyre means you are getting more speed. It's like a record on a turntable (remember them?). The outer edge will be going at a faster rate of speed compared to the center. In physics speak, the linear velocity is higher at maximum diameter while the angular velocity remains the same.

Posiblemente sea una pregunta sin respuesta, pero lo intento: ¿crees que comprar un motor M1 HUB Drive en los Estados Unidos e instalarlo en un orbitador europeo funcionará a 20 mph?

Attachments

• ub1.jpg
    ub1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,837
[QUOTE = "tegnamo, post: 182900, miembro: 6189"] En algún momento habrá una mochila en línea que se puede comprar y que cambia la señal, por lo que parece que va más lento que 20 mph o lo que sea. Tal vez estos chicos ya lo tienen y no me di cuenta https://www.ebiketuning.com/ [/ QUOTE]
He preguntado E-Bike Tuning y adjunto respuesta: Unfortunately, there is no solution for ebikemotion so far.

Attachments

• 2019-02-19_13-35-55.jpg
    2019-02-19_13-35-55.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,336
The controller handles the speed limit and should be reprogrammed. I took the battery out and it is not so simple to get access to the controller without loosing my warranty. I think in time I will switch the rear hub and controller to a chinese aftermarket one. Probably hack the internal battery also.

Posiblemente sea una pregunta sin respuesta, pero lo intento: ¿crees que comprar un motor M1 HUB Drive en los Estados Unidos e instalarlo en un orbitador europeo funcionará a 20 mph?

Yes if you buy a whole bike with the X35 system installed in the USA. The EU and USA mechanical specifications are identical (as far as I can tell)... the difference is the programming in the speed controller.

Can you by an M1 with controller separately?

A different question would be can you buy a North American speed controller unit https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-light-smart-ebike-system/ and install it in a EU bike?

So my bike finally arrived! Only ridden it indoors on a trainer thus far (due to snow on the ground), so not much use of the power.... build quality appears great! But gotta say the App (Android version) is extremely disappointing. Not 100% sure that is not being impacted by seeing no GPS movement, but HR doesn't stay connected (when I've never had an issue with this HR device and the phone), Wheel RPMs are reported as Cadence, and the files do not seem to record power assistance or output. The GPX export (which was in more of a TCX format) showed 0 power even when I was testing assistance.

I recall reading in a review somewhere that the app would report power output AND level of assistance... I.E. you could see your own power input?? Now I cant find a mention of that.

Has anyone else had a better experience? - E

So my bike finally arrived! Only ridden it indoors on a trainer thus far (due to snow on the ground), so not much use of the power.... build quality appears great! But gotta say the App (Android version) is extremely disappointing. Not 100% sure that is not being impacted by seeing no GPS movement, but HR doesn't stay connected (when I've never had an issue with this HR device and the phone), Wheel RPMs are reported as Cadence, and the files do not seem to record power assistance or output. The GPX export (which was in more of a TCX format) showed 0 power even when I was testing assistance.

I recall reading in a review somewhere that the app would report power output AND level of assistance... I.E. you could see your own power input?? Now I cant find a mention of that.

Has anyone else had a better experience? - E
It only reports and records motor power, not rider power.

Attachments

• C3F8F0AF-291D-4E30-B092-A3B7E2D13173.png
    C3F8F0AF-291D-4E30-B092-A3B7E2D13173.png
    791.1 KB · Views: 970
Last edited:
It only reports and records motor assistance, not rider input.

Thanks for the feedback. That must be the iPhone version of the app... I saw images like that before on the ebikemotion website, but the chart I have (on the latest Android version) does not look anything like that.

Maybe it things will improve when I get outside! I'd like to track wattage input and thought this would so it for me vs getting power meter pedals or a PM crank arm.

Thanks for the feedback. That must be the iPhone version of the app... I saw images like that before on the ebikemotion website, but the chart I have (on the latest Android version) does not look anything like that.

Maybe it things will improve when I get outside! I'd like to track wattage input and thought this would so it for me vs getting power meter pedals or a PM crank arm.
It is an iPhone app. Power jumps all over the place (see the plot). I'd be curious to know how your's behaves. I just got a HR monitor chest strap but haven't tried it yet; hopefully tomorrow. Do you have significant motor rpm when you are pedaling in Level 0 and below the speed cut off?

Back