Ebike Chain Lubes

This thread reminds me of arguments on other forums I frequent. If your aren’t using brand X grease on your tractor, you aren’t doing it right. If you aren’t using brand X motor oil or brand X fuel additive etc. These arguments go on for ever. If you use a good product and use it often enough you are probably good to go.

Sometimes you just have to try.

Has anyone tried this one? If I was riding in snow and salt I may have given it a try. https://silca.cc/products/synergetic-wet-lube

Their wax is highly regarded hence this wet lube may also be good.
New member here! And generally a newbie to ebikes and bike maintenance.

I have not tried that specific lube, but I am currently using a different one from them that purports to be designed with ebikes in mind:

I landed on that after a lot of reading; seems to be working fine thus far as far as I can tell (only very few miles so far, but the chain is smooth and very quiet). I do plan to also try Chain-L after reading up on it on this forum and elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/Chain-L-High-Mileage-Bicycle-Chain-Lube/dp/B008TXAT4C. I already have a bottle; not sure whether I’ll actually be able to tell whether there’s any difference given my relative lack of knowledge at this stage, but I’m curious enough to want to do some experimentation.

This thread reminds me of arguments on other forums I frequent. If your aren’t using brand X grease on your tractor, you aren’t doing it right. If you aren’t using brand X motor oil or brand X fuel additive etc. These arguments go on for ever. If you use a good product and use it often enough you are probably good to go.
Holds true for most eBike reviews too. The one we bought is always the best choice. YAWN!

I have not tried that specific lube, but I am currently using a different one from them that purports to be designed with ebikes in mind:

I landed on that after a lot of reading; seems to be working fine thus far as far as I can tell (only very few miles so far, but the chain is smooth and very quiet). I do plan to also try Chain-L after reading up on it on this forum and elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/Chain-L-High-Mileage-Bicycle-Chain-Lube/dp/B008TXAT4C. I already have a bottle; not sure whether I’ll actually be able to tell whether there’s any difference given my relative lack of knowledge at this stage, but I’m curious enough to want to do some experimentation.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
$25/2oz...

Last edited by a moderator:
OMFG!

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 1.19.09 PM.png

That "ebike" specific one is probably thicker, maybe they traded a bit of efficiency for longevity but I wouldn't be surprised if it is no different than the regular one. I have also red good things about chainL.
How does it hold up? Is it good against salt? I am guessing it is not the cleanest lube out there since it is oil based but for winter commuting that should be ok.

the main thing about lube is how long does it last and how much mess does it make. How long does it last in the rain? the messier it is the longer it lasts but the more cleaning you have to do. so far I have not found a dry lube that can last more then one or so rain ride. even t-9 may last two at most.

I jumped the gun went ahead and did drivetrain preventive maintenance. I normally perform this on my bikes on last weekend of the month. Yeah tire sealant is getting refresh as well.
Wtf it's only 6pm here and I just returned from church a couple hours ago drinking Korean Church wine. My GF and her cronies are planning something for Easter.
Enough about my day.
Here's pics of my preferred tools for the job.
Magnificent 7.
At least you remembered the beer ...

I was at a motorcycle shop and they had some Bell brand chain lube, based on paraffin wax. Was reading the can and looked up at the counter guy and he shook his head no, said regular paraffin wax was the thing to use, the canned stuff was too thin and would end up on whatever was in it's path to perdition.

Currently I'm using Honda "Manual Transmission Fluid", which is a very low viscosity oil.
1/2 qt left over from when I had a 1988 Accord.
Working out well now that I only ride in fair weather.

Before that chainsaw bar oil, which is high viscosity and really sticky and water resistant.
Was useful when I commuted to work in all kinds of weather, but does catch a lot of dirt.

Before that I used Finish Line Cross Country. Tat was the last bike specific lube I bought (20+ years ago).
Similar to the bar oil, but much more expensive, so when the FL bottle ran out...

Long ago I tried wax+solvent lube, but that was too much work, re-applying after each ride in the rain etc.

In my experience the type/brand of lube is less important than cleaning the chain thoroughly periodically, and not letting it go dry.
I use the Park Tool gauge and replace chains when they reach 0.5%.
Mid-drive is hard on chains. I get about 1/3 mileage as when I ran a Currie USPD.

Last edited:
In my experience the type/brand of lube is less important than cleaning the chain thoroughly periodically, and not letting it go dry.
I use the Park Tool gauge and replace chains when they reach 0.5%.
Mid-drive is hard on chains. I get about 1/3 mileage as when I ran a Currie USPD.
Exactly!

3 rainy rides during the last 220 miles and my last waxed chain is still reasonably quiet, everything is clean. I can probably go further. So wax+ws2 mix is good for rain much better than any so called dry/clean lube I have ever used.

So far ws2 has been better than ptfe in terms of longevity however this may be a result of ws2 I am using being much finer than the ptfe I have.

I found a can of Dupont chain saver that is wax based. Using it on my motorcycle chain for the rollers though the chain is sealed. I still like the straight paraffin on the bicycle chain. The canned stuff seems to be too runny and the virgin oil/paraffin mix 'stays' better.

Back