Ebike Chain Lubes

All this information and $19.99 will get you a new chain 🙃
Which explains why I think its ridiculous to go to extreme lengths to clean the chain. Now, with that said I am using a different chain, the SRAM EX1 that is a bit stronger for ebike use... and it costs on average $25. Its good for 8-10 speed drivetrains. My 11s KMC e11 is godawfully expensive at around $50... but STILL, considering my latest 11s e11 has 2700 miles and counting on it, and its still not showing wear on the gauge, I'm thinking a simple cleaning with a quality combined solvent/lube ... and a sock ... is plenty.

Also, I've never found the EPT coating versions of the KMC chains to do more than increase the price. If you are performing proper maintenance the chain never dries out to rust.

This doesn't address the issue of wear on the cogs and chainring, but since steel-cogged clusters are now readily available because ebikes have been around for awhile, and I use good-quality hardened alloy chainrings... no issue has presented itself there either. And I'd sure as hell notice since I am using Lekkies which are at this point $150+ a pop. And yes this is a 160 Nm motor pumped with a 52v power source..

PXL_20221020_232054714.jpg

Buy a quality chain. Keep the crud off of it. Every few weeks with 10 minutes of effort. Replace it when the gauge tells you to. Anything more is functionally, mechanically unnecessary. If it makes you feel good or strokes your tendency towards OCD.... well then thats fine. We all have our quirks. But for someone trying to learn the ropes, this is one you need not hang yourself with.

That is what I was wondering. I value first hand info more than google. What part of the chain is termed the 'bridge'?
i meant middle part of the outer plate when I used the term bridge. KMC also use the term for that area.

This discussion reminds me of auto fluids a few decades ago - marvel mystery oil or not? STP or not? and so forth.

As others have said, what matters most is periodically removing grit from the drive train and using a lube, any lube (and a wear gauge...). We spend thousands on our bikes and complain about a 30 buck chain? Odd...

This discussion reminds me of auto fluids a few decades ago - marvel mystery oil or not? STP or not? and so forth.

As others have said, what matters most is periodically removing grit from the drive train and using a lube, any lube (and a wear gauge...). We spend thousands on our bikes and complain about a 30 buck chain? Odd...
hell I need 2.5 for our tandem ever 2000 miles.

Which explains why I think its ridiculous to go to extreme lengths to clean the chain.

Let me start by this, if you are finding it ridiculous then you haven't given it a try. Apart from the initial cleaning stage it is much easier than dealing with normal lubes. Let me summarize the reasons:

1. It is much much cleaner. No gunk, rollers always roll freely even after 200 miles, no build up on the cogs, jockey wheels. Cleaning the bike including the drivetrain is most of the time not needed and when it does only a little bit of car wash soap (non-wax added ones to keep the frame and brakes as they are) is all it takes.

2. Application intervals are far longer. MY wax last at least 180-200 miles. That is more than double of most of the lubricants I have tried. Shifting performance of wax at 200 miles is far better than shifting performance of regular lubes at 90 miles btw.

3. About the price of chains. Unfortunately the price is not $20 if you are using a 10+ speed drivetrain. My chains are in the $50+ range. I was replacing a chain every 1500-2000 miles on a bosch mid drive in the best case. That adds up.

4. It does decrease the wear on cogs and chainring since that wear is a result of inter-link distance not matching the distance between the teeth of a chainring. At least for a mainstream mid drive + rider or rider only. I don't know about Bafang ultra.

5. Re-waxing is actually very easy, take off the chain, run it under boiling water and drop it in a crockpot. You can do whatever you want while the wax heats up. And your hands are always clean while taking off the chain no matter how you handle the chain.

6. In the long run hot waxing is cheaper not only because you are saving your chain but also you spend less on wax itself. My mixture costed me $10 and it lasts more than 4K miles and I am not using any degreasers when cleaning before re-waxing.

And to see how much metal/dirt if any was trapped in the chain I actually took out one of my waxed chain which has 2500+ miles and instead of boiling water I put it in my ultrasonic cleaner. At the end the amount of dirt(and probably a significant portion was not dirt, ws2 is also dark grey) came out was much less than what I used to have when I clean my regular lubed chains before each re-lube on a parktool. If I put my regular lubed chains in an ultrasonic cleaner even after running them through a park tool scrubber they release ten times more gunk.

So it is not just one benefit, it is a combination of all of these. If you don't care then fine do your own thing.

my latest 11s e11 has 2700 miles and counting on it

This is interesting, what bike is this one on, how do you ride it?

Let me start by this, if you are finding it ridiculous then you haven't given it a try. Apart from the initial cleaning stage it is much easier than dealing with normal lubes.
Yeah sorry but no thats not possible. Not being disrespectful as to your claims but I'm making a factual statement blunt by its nature. I've been a daily rider since the mid 1970's, although I took about 15 years off somewhere in the middle of that. So I am accustomed to a daily grind in riding. Its not an occasional recreational vehicle. Convenience coupled with effectiveness is paramount. First of all I park my bike at a city park or a convenient park bench so I can sit in the sun and not a dreary garage. Further, I stop mid-commute, typically so its not even a special trip. I ride thru a park on my way to work and I stop at a bench I am already passing (that no one is already sleeping on).

For me there never is a heavy initial cleaning stage. I never let a chain get dirty in the first place. And that includes riding singletrack. Right after a mud bath, I use a bug sprayer loaded with simple green to do a low-pressure soapy wash, followed by another bug sprayer with plain water. This cleans the drivetrain as well as the entire bike. I do the same thing every few months with a street-driven bike. Oddly, I get the bike clean but I feel dirty for taking off the dust coating it earned serving me.

But back to normal chain maintenance: If I am riding a bike with a center stand, I put one hockey puck under each stand leg (standard kit on such a bike already) which lifts the back wheel. then I use an old shop rag, holding it under the area I am about to wipe, and squirt down onto and along the center of the chain for the length of its upper travel between chainring and cog. I immediately wipe those links top, bottom and side. that segment of chain is now done. I move the chain a length forward and repeat until the master link comes around again. This is a 10 minute process. Total. In a few weeks I do it again, keyed to when the chain makes a little noise which tells me its drying out. I am using Rock And Roll which is a combined solvent and lubricant so one pass only is needed.

If I am not riding a bike with a center stand, I wrote the procedure up in this post. Different method of advancing the chain but otherwise the same fast procedure.

Let me summarize the reasons:

1. It is much much cleaner. No gunk, rollers always roll freely even after 200 miles, no build up on the cogs, jockey wheels. Cleaning the bike including the drivetrain is most of the time not needed and when it does only a little bit of car wash soap (non-wax added ones to keep the frame and brakes as they are) is all it takes.
that may be true with the type of terrain you ride in, but for dusty and sometimes now rainy California streets it is not. I noted my cleaning procedure above. For street riding I wash it just to make it pretty. My drivetrain stays clean by its nature. Probably in part because of the lube I use which does not attract dirt, which is what those jockey wheels will otherwise cake with. And also because the manufacturer's prescribed procedure includes the immediate wipe down, which keeps the exterior from being wet.
2. Application intervals are far longer. MY wax last at least 180-200 miles. That is more than double of most of the lubricants I have tried. Shifting performance of wax at 200 miles is far better than shifting performance of regular lubes at 90 miles btw.
Your wax takes a lot longer to deal with and apply than the procedure I detail above. Not to mention the dedicated equipment you have to buy to prepare it/apply it. Plus are you doing the ultrasonic clean thats recommended before application? Mo' money and mo' gadgetry. 200 miles? Thats a week for me. If I do my full exercise commute I am doing 32 daily miles, not counting weekday bank runs, post-work shopping trips, or my Saturday/Sunday trip down to my workshop. If I cheat and take a shorter route to work I'm still right at around 200. So with all that posturing out of the way: my chain lubrication interval is every two weeks (in summer heat, which around here is damn hot); longer in the winter if it doesn't rain. I just broke down a few days ago and re-did the chain even though it wasn't making anywhere near the noise I usually let it get to.
3. About the price of chains. Unfortunately the price is not $20 if you are using a 10+ speed drivetrain. My chains are in the $50+ range. I was replacing a chain every 1500-2000 miles on a bosch mid drive in the best case. That adds up.
Same here. I need two 11s chains for my Surly Big Fat Dummy. Using two KMC 11e's means a hundred bucks a pop. On the BFD I think I am at about 1600 miles on its first chain with no measurable (Park chain gauge) wear, and that bike has a BBSHD on it. I also keep a spare sized chain in my onboard kit on any mid-drive bike I own in case of disaster so do that math :) Thats part of why I brought up the SRAM chain I did above. Its a cheap mid-friendly alternative good for 8, 9 and 10s drivetrains. The bike I am building now - a steep-hill-climbing version of my flat-land Bullitt daily driver - got a 9s drivetrain in part because of the 11s chain cost and frequent lack of availability (that wasn't the only reason).
4. It does decrease the wear on cogs and chainring since that wear is a result of inter-link distance not matching the distance between the teeth of a chainring. At least for a mainstream mid drive + rider or rider only. I don't know about Bafang ultra.
If you build a bike right in the first place, you take care of these issues (components that wear so quickly; this is why I use 1-piece steel clusters for example) from the start. That includes chain, cogs, chainring, cassette body engagement mechanism and the hub itself. Once you get past picking the right hardware, you have to next choose a frame that delivers proper chainline. And lastly insofar as hardware is concerned, tune the motor so pedal assist and motor startup do not dig into stuff.

5. Re-waxing is actually very easy, take off the chain, run it under boiling water and drop it in a crockpot. You can do whatever you want while the wax heats up. And your hands are always clean while taking off the chain no matter how you handle the chain.
Sitting at a park bench and running a wet rag over the still-installed chain, then riding off, is easier still. Look if you like doing what you are doing thats fine and you should continue... but this goes straight to my reiterating that you are incorrect in thinking your regimen is easier. I'm honestly not aiming my comments at you, but rather at the person who is new and looking for advice on how to proceed.
6. In the long run hot waxing is cheaper not only because you are saving your chain but also you spend less on wax itself. My mixture costed me $10 and it lasts more than 4K miles and I am not using any degreasers when cleaning before re-waxing.
Yeah... I buy a bottle of lube every 6 months or so. Honestly I don't keep track. I can't make a meaningful comment on how long chains last because I have to use mileage as a factor, since I have several bikes at two different residences and I switch off riding them. So a time-based answer is useless. But... 2500 miles for a single-motor bike with a 1500w BBSHD is about right. You also have to bear in mind I put rather a lot into my builds and I've been at this for awhile. I know what works if for no other reason I have had the opportunity to do it all the wrong ways over the years, and did so by and large.
And to see how much metal/dirt if any was trapped in the chain I actually took out one of my waxed chain which has 2500+ miles and instead of boiling water I put it in my ultrasonic cleaner. At the end the amount of dirt(and probably a significant portion was not dirt, ws2 is also dark grey) came out was much less than what I used to have when I clean my regular lubed chains before each re-lube on a parktool. If I put my regular lubed chains in an ultrasonic cleaner even after running them through a park tool scrubber they release ten times more gunk.
ah HAH! You do have an ultrasonic cleaner. I have a rag :D
So it is not just one benefit, it is a combination of all of these. If you don't care then fine do your own thing.
Its not that I don't care. If there was a meaningful benefit not outweighed by other factors (like lost time and money), I'd do it. I'm not constrained by cost nor ability to perform the task. But if I can get 2000+ miles out of a proper chain with my own regimen, which admittedly also includes savvy riding technique that does not visit stupidity on my drivetrain, then what is to be gained? Speaking of which...

I spend almost no time or money (after buying it in the first place) maintaining my chain or my drivetrain. But I spend enough time with the right tools for the job to get excellent results. I can use that otherwise lost time for many things. Including simply riding and enjoying the bike.

This is interesting, what bike is this one on, how do you ride it?
This one. 52T chainring and completely flat terrain. 11s SRAM GX. DT 350 hub w/24T Hybrid ratchet and steel cassette body upgrades. Steel Sunrace cluster.

20221217_102444.jpg

And as for riding it: the answer is hard, considering it is a cargo bike that is commonly loaded with 100 lbs of stuff (and this bike is also my daily commuter). I went to Costco last weekend and the cargo box was filled, as were the 30L panniers on the back.
Now... that bike is cheating, because it is 2wd and I have developed a hardware-based approach to 2wd that completely eliminates the shock to the drivetrain that is typical of a 1500w mid drive. Detailed at the same web site linked above. Look in the 2wd section of the Table of Contents. A more fair comparison would be how my BFD is set up right now:

PXL_20221113_212910540.PORTRAIT.jpg

36T front chainring, 11-46T rear cluster (not steel this time), SRAM 11s NX. Same DT hub and upgrades. c/f rims rated to 200kg each, which is a good thing as I have had those bags fully loaded to bring the bike up to 565 lbs total system weight, which is a VERY hairy thing to balance. Unloaded this bike will climb walls. I would have to check the odo to be sure but I believe its all-original drivetrain is at about 1600 miles.

Last edited:
Anybody figure out what to do with all these used chains? Recycle, etc? Might make for a good business startup.

Yeah sorry but no thats not possible. Not being disrespectful as to your claims but I'm making a factual statement blunt by its nature.

I like your bikes and respect your experience. That being said I find what you say disrespectful. I have already provided my experience in detail and I have logged in the data on several chains, several thousand miles. I am a scientist so I try to be careful when I am making claims etc.
If you have your own data you are welcome to put it here. And your post is a bit long, I find it hard to read.

that may be true with the type of terrain you ride in, but for dusty and sometimes now rainy California streets it is not.

LOL I live in Bay Area, CA and imo this is the perfect climate for Waxing. I even rode while it was raining last week.
I also have experience in commuting places that are cold, muddy, snowy and salty so I have an idea what works and what not.
Your wax takes a lot longer to deal with and apply than the procedure I detail above.

If you cared to read my initial post you would have known that I already tried RnR and many others. Your procedure is pretty much directions for rnr. Used to do it and no it didn't work anywhere close to wax. RnR while being the cleanest lube among the ones I have tested, is still far from being clean. It attracts less dirt compared to others but it sill does attract a lot of it moreover it got dry quickly and required frequent reapplication. I got maybe 80-90 on dry and less than 30 on wet conditions.

ah HAH! You do have an ultrasonic cleaner. I have a rag :D

I no longer carry a rag because I don't need a rag. My chain never needs to be wiped, there is never anything on it except small wax flakes which fall off. Moreover most of the lubes become tacky so you could only wipe them down when they are fresh. With RnR, while outside of the chain remains somewhat clean, it does not flush out the grinding paste out completely and in time it keeps on accumulating to the point that you begin to see it oozing out even after wiping the chain multiple times. And of course when you use a rag to wipe the chain, the rag becomes dirty quickly and now you need to clean the rag or get a new one.

I spend 5-10 minutes effectively for re-waxing. I can do whatever I want while heating up the wax and boiling the water. If 200 miles is not long enough then one can rotate several chains and wax all of them at once.

Finally I got lazy and curious so didn't clean my bike at all for around 800 miles, just rewaxed and put the chain back on. this is how it looks at its worst(no build up on chainring or jockey wheels).

800miledrivetrain.jpg

Last edited:
I like your bikes and respect your experience. That being said I find what you say disrespectful. I have already provided my experience in detail and I have logged in the data on several chains, several thousand miles. I am a scientist so I try to be careful when I am making claims etc.
If you have your own data you are welcome to put it here. And your post is a bit long, I find it hard to read.

LOL I live in Bay Area, CA and imo this is the perfect climate for Waxing. I even rode while it was raining last week.
I also have experience in commuting places that are cold, muddy, snowy and salty so I have an idea what works and what not.

If you cared to read my initial post you would have known that I already tried RnR and many others. Your procedure is pretty much directions for rnr. Used to do it and no it didn't work anywhere close to wax. RnR while being the cleanest lube among the ones I have tested, is still far from being clean. It attracts less dirt compared to others but it sill does attract a lot of it moreover it got dry quickly and required frequent reapplication. I got maybe 80-90 on dry and less than 30 on wet conditions.

I no longer carry a rag because I don't need a rag. My chain never needs to be wiped, there is never anything on it except small wax flakes which fall off. Moreover most of the lubes become tacky so you could only wipe them down when they are fresh. With RnR, while outside of the chain remains somewhat clean, it does not flush out the grinding paste out completely and in time it keeps on accumulating to the point that you begin to see it oozing out even after wiping the chain multiple times. And of course when you use a rag to wipe the chain, the rag becomes dirty quickly and now you need to clean the rag or get a new one.

I spend 5-10 minutes effectively for re-waxing. I can do whatever I want while heating up the wax and boiling the water. If 200 miles is not long enough then one can rotate several chains and wax all of them at once.

Finally I got lazy and curious so didn't clean my bike at all for around 800 miles, just rewaxed and put the chain back on. this is how it looks at its worst(no build up on chainring or jockey wheels).

View attachment 143039
Sorry @Johnny... but unless you can post a current caliper accuracy/calibration certificate.... I can only accept your findings as anecdotal.

The chaindelier must weigh a ton.
I just installed new KMC gold plated chain. The one with slotted links only lasted about two months or less than 500 miles I kept it well lubed with synthetic engine oil, one with out slots is currently on my commuter bike with Bafang 620.
I will replace it at 1000 miles of dust and mud trails riding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-154025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-154025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20221221-154157_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-154157_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 120
You need to take a step back and read carefully what I said as it looks as if your emotions are in play here. You made a claim:

"Apart from the initial cleaning stage it is much easier than dealing with normal lubes"

That claim was specifically, demonstrably wrong. Your own subsequent words in that same post reinforce this. I detailed my own procedure, which is very simple and occurs during a bicycle ride: pull off to the side of the trail at a convenient bench, park the bike, sit down and methodically squirt/wipe a solvent/lubricant around a single rotation of the chain, wiping methodically as you go. Then your ride continues. Your procedure involves complete chain removal, and then includes terms like 'crock pot' and 'ultrasonic cleaner'. Your claim of ease of use relative to other methods is without question wrong. Thats not open for intellectually-honest debate. The differences are painfully obvious - but you have to divorce yourself from your personal bias towards your favorite method.

As wrong as your statement was about its relative ease of use, what about its efficacy? If I spend 5% of the time versus your method of waxing and ultrasonic cleaning, do I only get 5% of the benefit? Thats not quite the same success story if so. But as I stated, I get thousands of miles on my chains. In fact from the sound of it we are getting roughly equivalent mileage despite what I am sure are widely disparate bikes and usage.

You started the verbosity war and while I didn't try to match or beat that, I do believe I at least hit the Top 10 insofar as post length. Regardless the detail in the post made sense and was clear. Based on your posting I suspect you aren't particularly open to contrary opinion and that has more to do with your stated difficulty than the content itself.
I did read it. As far as RnR is concerned It sounds like you only tried one of the formulae. The dry versions do run out quickly - maybe two weeks and the chain starts squeaking. Use the blue/wet formula - particularly in winter. Lasts longer, although at the moment I am still using the summer gold. As to the claims of dirt attraction, those run decidedly counter to my experience, and the claim of quick loss of function is contradicted already by what I said earlier about a 2+ week cycle of application, covering 200+ miles at each cycle. Again... sounds like equivalent mileage between the two methods.
I no longer carry a rag because I don't need a rag.
You missed my point. It was whimsical and directed at the confirmation that an ultrasonic cleaner had for sure been a part of the process, whereas my approach is decidedly low-tech, low cost and simple. And once again it bears repeating we appear to be getting - at the very least - similar results.
My chain never needs to be wiped, there is never anything on it except small wax flakes which fall off. Moreover most of the lubes become tacky so you could only wipe them down when they are fresh. With RnR, while outside of the chain remains somewhat clean, it does not flush out the grinding paste out completely and in time it keeps on accumulating to the point that you begin to see it oozing out even after wiping the chain multiple times. And of course when you use a rag to wipe the chain, the rag becomes dirty quickly and now you need to clean the rag or get a new one.
You are doing something wrong if your chain is oozing anything if using RnR. The remainder of your description indicates the same. All that stuff about tackiness and wiping the chain multiple times. I'm sure you have experienced this with some lube, but not RnR whose solvent component prevents any such result. As for shop rags, come on... listen to yourself. Thats descending into nonsense.
Now you're talking about several chains as a part of your argumentation? Again... you need to take a breath, step back and reassess.
Yup thats really clean. But... look what it took to get there. And does that extra level of cleanliness matter in some material way? Look I am sure there is efficacy in the method of waxing a chain in a boiling pot, after you have given it an ultrasonic cleaning. I am sure an ultrasonic cleaner gets a chain as clean as it can be, over any other method. What I am also sure of is that, thanks in part to this discussion, there is an easier, less-intrusive, more practical way to effectively achieve the same end result, where the goal is a long lasting chain and a drivetrain that is not prematurely worn as a result of said chain.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the wax vs petroleum lube debate will ever be settled. Kudos to the participants in keeping their cool as most of the time, energetic discussions like this one always ends with somebody putting somebody else on Ignore or at the worst, somebody gets a lifetime suspension. Something that I find of interest that is not being discussed is the enclosing of the chain itself; keeping contaminants from ever reaching the link pins and plates. The video here looks to be the best approach that even keeps a chain clean in the dirtiest of city streets..... Oh, and a Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to all!

That claim was specifically, demonstrably wrong.
You haven't demonstrated anything, You are just bashing a method that you have never tried.

I did read it. As far as RnR is concerned It sounds like you only tried one of the formulae

I didn't see anything special in the other formulae, a friend I ride with uses gold, I know his chains and his results are similar. Longevity of gold seems a bit better but still it is not close to wax. In between the rollers and outer plates his chain also has a layer of black gunk.
I put my money\time experimented on 6-7 different lubes 5 chains, for the wax I used two different dry lubricants as additives and I am tired of dealing with people who just pick a word and argue.

I will not keep this conversation up.

For those who are interested in the method here is some additional info:

I did my first two chains without an Ultrasonic cleaner, they so far work well so ultrasonic cleaner is not necessary at all.
For the first one I actually was very sloppy just used some bike specific degreaser, since alcohol was hard to find I used very little for the bath. Even that chain is still fine though it can slightly dirty up the wax.
If you are lazy just start with a chain that has been ridden 1-2 hundred miles(if brand new) put the chain in a plastic bottle with some non corrosive dilluted degreaser such as sg pro hd, or a bike specific one like finish line shake and repeat a few times until degreaser comes clean. Then let it sit in degreaser some more. Even that should give you a clean enough chain to do the process. Then leave in alcohol and rinse. After this ONE TIME process you can continue running the chain under boiling water and submersion in wax every 200 miles. That is it...

If you are on a tour and need a solution on the fly people use wax based lubes such as Silca super secret, squirt with success. I have also seen someone making their own rnr like mixture with wax and %99 ipa,

You haven't demonstrated anything, You are just bashing a method that you have never tried.
No. I am pointing out your methodology has flaws and clear bias. That bias does not affect your assessment of how clean your chain is. But in painfully obvious fashion that bias jaundices your assessment of other methods. This is illustrated by incorrect characterizations of alternate methods; attributing problems to them that don't exist. More on that in a bit as you did it again with more of the same in this latest post. But from earlier postings, the problems you described (oozing, stickiness, inability to wipe clean) are atypical and point to either a failure of your methodology or a failure in your evaluation (i.e. bias).

Note I am not measuring simpler methods' equivalence on a cosmetic level. Cosmetically, a waxed, ultrasonically-cleaned chain is visually and internally cleaner. But that extreme spic-n-span state does not provide a noticeably superior mechanical benefit. It does get the chain as clean as a whistle and if thats just the way you want it to be, thats great. Spend the time and money getting it like that. Have at it and enjoy the result.

I didn't see anything special in the other formulae, a friend I ride with uses gold, I know his chains and his results are similar. Longevity of gold seems a bit better but still it is not close to wax. In between the rollers and outer plates his chain also has a layer of black gunk.
I put my money\time experimented on 6-7 different lubes 5 chains, for the wax I used two different dry lubricants as additives and I am tired of dealing with people who just pick a word and argue.
You are making that part up about 'picking a word' and arguing. Saying that is a convenient way to pretend there is nothing to see here and everyone move along... which isn't the case. I said it best, briefly, in the first post I made, so I will repeat myself:

Buy a quality chain. Keep the crud off of it. Every few weeks with 10 minutes of effort. Replace it when the gauge tells you to. Anything more is functionally, mechanically unnecessary. If it makes you feel good or strokes your tendency towards OCD.... well then thats fine. We all have our quirks. But for someone trying to learn the ropes, this is one you need not hang yourself with.

As for the black gunk on your friend's chain, you are making a false correlation. The gunk you say is on his chain has nothing to do with the RnR Gold solvent/lubricant he is using, assuming he is applying it properly (which amounts to "drip on and then wipe off"). Yesterday in anticipation of further mudslinging on your part I took a few photos of my drivetrain. This chain has been cleaned with RnR Gold regularly every 2-4 weeks, and as of this morning has just over 2750 miles on it. Note that this bike still has the grit on it from our recent California rainstorms (it rained on December 10 here last, so I must have cleaned it on Sunday the 11th). So the chain as you see it was squirted and wiped down after the rain, almost two weeks ago. No oozing. No 'caked with black gunk' etc. etc. Those claims do not square with what is visible here.

Its not spotless, but then again its a bicycle chain that sees daily road use. It is reasonable to not expect to be able to eat off of it.

20221222_091702.jpg
20221222_091715.jpg
20221222_091813.jpg

I will not keep this conversation up.
Good. Instead revisit your testing methodology and re-evaluate whether a lack of impartiality has also affected your review.

Note I am not measuring simpler methods' equivalence on a cosmetic level. Cosmetically, a waxed, ultrasonically-cleaned chain is visually and internally cleaner.
You are not measuring anything. It seems all you do is to use RnR you are happy so you some here claiming that it has to be the best method and waxing is unnecessary. Oh and you like wiping your chain in the park understandable since when applying rnr while spinning the chain it splashes gunk everywhere. A chain staying internally cleaner is not cosmetic.

If you are not going to give wax a try just move on.

And your 2750 mile is on a bike with a front hub with throttle. Unless you know how many miles you spend pedaling vs using front hub with throttle that value is meaningless.

Even on your chain that you have lubed and wiped actually have oozing.

1671826757845.png

Attachments

• 1671826814448.png
    1671826814448.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Give it a rest. I already noted the front hub issue. And you know that but are trying to throw it on the fire anyway. And you also know I was entirely up-front about the dual motors on that bike, and I put up one other 'traditional' single-mid-motor bike that sport the same results. I've got more of course but it doesn't make a lot of sense to beat this poor horse any further.

Your zooming in on the chain (shadows and all) that we all know has been riding around the street for a couple weeks confirms something else for the audience: You're obsessed with this topic well beyond what is practical, useful or good for the equipment. Thats a clean and largely dry bike chain, and if you have to zoom in to find specks on it, that explains where your head is at. Which is fine for you, but its not good advice for the general bike-riding public.

Back