Ebike Chain Lubes

I like R&R but in so much ran it just dos not hold up so winter I am using bioshild. for winter.
Yeah the Gold just washes right off. The blue Extreme stuff seems to hold up better, but it rains so infrequently now I have a hard time being methodical about doing an A/B test. Its supposed to rain again for a bunch of next week so I may try to get hold of another bottle. I tried a bottle of their Holy Cow version over the summer and was not impressed. Chain started making noise fast.

I've heard nothing but good things about Boeshield. I may give that a shot. Branch out a little.

Yeah the Gold just washes right off. The blue Extreme stuff seems to hold up better, but it rains so infrequently now I have a hard time being methodical about doing an A/B test. Its supposed to rain again for a bunch of next week so I may try to get hold of another bottle. I tried a bottle of their Holy Cow version over the summer and was not impressed. Chain started making noise fast.

I've heard nothing but good things about Boeshield. I may give that a shot. Branch out a little.
I use the blue they have the holy cow thats supposed to reply last but it says apply when warm. well in winter my chain is never warm. but riding two times a day in the rain and sometimes a chain staying wet for days is a real issue. I take a blower and blow off the drivetrain.

Last edited:
Give it a rest. I already noted the front hub issue. And you know that but are trying to throw it on the fire anyway.

Why don't you take your own advice and stop? You are the one who started preaching and keep on doing it while asking to stop?

I literally recorded and gave the chain wear result in high precision. What have you done again? Nothing.

At the rate my chains are wearing I will probably see well over 5000miles . My bosch mid drive, 2000miles on wax still showing %0.18 wear, same mid drive with regular lubes while regularly cleaned and lubed was at %0.42 at 1100 miles.

Some people actually like to see these kinds of results and find it very useful.

If you don't find it useful what are you doing here?

Instead of writing on threads that were started well before you have joined the forums and bashing something that you have never tried, find something more productive to occupy your free time...

Last edited:
I use the blue they have the holy cow thats supposed to reply last but it says apply when warm. well in winter my chain is never warm. but riding two times a day in the rain and sometimes a chain staying wet for days is a real issue. I take a blower and blow off the drivetrain.

Foofer, I rode my waxed chain under rain and it held up well. Why don't you give it a try? I think you may like it a lot.

I also commuted during winter on the east cost under snow, salt and heavy rain. RnR extreme was extremely disappointing. Although chain looked clean It was lasting 20 miles at best. Unfortunately on the east coast I didn't know about waxing so can not talk about how this will hold in snow and salt.

In CA we don't have too much rain but early this month it rained and I had the opportunity to give it a try.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Foofer, I rode my waxed chain under rain and it held up well. Why don't you give it a try? I think you may like it a lot.

I also commuted during winter on the east cost under snow, salt and heavy rain. RnR extreme was extremely disappointing. Although chain looked clean It was lasting 20 miles at best. Unfortunately on the east coast I didn't know about waxing so can not talk about how this will hold in snow and salt.

In CA we don't have too much rain but early this month it rained and I had the opportunity to give it a try.

Let me know if you have any questions.
wax and 35 degrees wont work well. it would be a real pain on the tandem too. when it rains here its cold.

wax and 35 degrees wont work well. it would be a real pain on the tandem too. when it rains here its cold.

It should work at 35, it is not that bad. Don't judge before trying it out.

For lower temperatures usually it is advised to run the chain several turns after putting it on inside before going out.

What do you think would be a pain?

It should work at 35, it is not that bad. Don't judge before trying it out.

For lower temperatures usually it is advised to run the chain several turns after putting it on inside before going out.

What do you think would be a pain?
I have read so much on winter and waxed chains. it's hard to even get the chain on the tandem lubed as often as needed. having to change the chains would be much worse. plus if the chain is more worn for the timing chain you hav to adjust the tension a real pain. I would need 9 chains at a tine for the tandem.

I use waxed chains in wet BC weather, not as sever as Alberta, but winter maintenance is still a challenge compared to summer. Like all lubes, waxing does not last as long in poor weather as it does in good weather. During the winter, when it is really wet and grimy (e.g., 10-20 mm rain per day, and riding on gravel/dirt), I only get 2 days (4 commutes - 100 km) out of a chain before I need to re-wax it. To get around this I have about 4 chains that rotate on the bike with a Wipperman reusable quick link (these quick links are expensive, but are reusable and last forever). I opted for 4 chains as I typically re-wax 3 chains at a time to make it worth the hassle of cleaning the dirt off chains (much easier than an oily chain), melting the wax, re-waxing, and freeing up the links after waxing. I wouldn't recommend doing it for batches smaller than this as you will drive yourself bonkers!

I have read so much on winter and waxed chains. it's hard to even get the chain on the tandem lubed as often as needed. having to change the chains would be much worse. plus if the chain is more worn for the timing chain you hav to adjust the tension a real pain. I would need 9 chains at a tine for the tandem.

I use waxed chains in wet BC weather, not as sever as Alberta, but winter maintenance is still a challenge compared to summer. Like all lubes, waxing does not last as long in poor weather as it does in good weather. During the winter, when it is really wet and grimy (e.g., 10-20 mm rain per day, and riding on gravel/dirt), I only get 2 days (4 commutes - 100 km) out of a chain before I need to re-wax it. To get around this I have about 4 chains that rotate on the bike with a Wipperman reusable quick link (these quick links are expensive, but are reusable and last forever). I opted for 4 chains as I typically re-wax 3 chains at a time to make it worth the hassle of cleaning the dirt off chains (much easier than an oily chain), melting the wax, re-waxing, and freeing up the links after waxing. I wouldn't recommend doing it for batches smaller than this as you will drive yourself bonkers!

Oh tandem, idk tandem may be a pain. I thought you were talking about your trek.

Is this your experience or a quote from the net? If it isn't yours there are too many variables to draw a conclusion. What kind of wax did this person use?
Moreover Isn't Portland warmer than BC? Do you have to deal with snow or salt?

Oh tandem, idk tandem may be a pain. I thought you were talking about your trek.

Is this your experience or a quote from the net? If it isn't yours there are too many variables to draw a conclusion. What kind of wax did this person use?
Moreover Isn't Portland warmer than BC? Do you have to deal with snow or salt?
I could do it on the trek but I do that at work. plus I don't like taking chains off too much of a hassle. that quote was the only one I found but I have seen so many point out cold weather is not practical. cold and rainy would be a disaster.

I could do it on the trek but I do that at work. plus I don't like taking chains off too much of a hassle. that quote was the only one I found but I have seen so many point out cold weather is not practical. cold and rainy would be a disaster.
Sometimes you just have to try.

Has anyone tried this one? If I was riding in snow and salt I may have given it a try. https://silca.cc/products/synergetic-wet-lube

Their wax is highly regarded hence this wet lube may also be good.

Sometimes you just have to try.

Has anyone tried this one? If I was riding in snow and salt I may have given it a try. https://silca.cc/products/synergetic-wet-lube

Their wax is highly regarded hence this wet lube may also be good.
too expensive to experiment with wax and way too much of a hassle. I ride a lot up to 250 miles a week. it does not look like this line would be good in rain and cold but maybe great I the summer. 500 miles between lube would be good. I only get maybe 120 out of rock and roll.

I'm using straight paraffin wax but not riding in the cold at the time. I might try adding some mineral oil and see what happens, or baby oil, think it is the same.

Hypoid #90 gear oil. A terrific high pressure lubricant that doesn't get squeezed out of tight bearing surfaces. Add some Teflon powder if you like. Can you find a better low speed chain lubricant, I doubt it. Is it oily, you bet it is.
Just a little experience I had. I have very long piano hinges on my airplane hanger door that would begin to freeze up and start to squeak regardless what I used on them within 6 months. I oiled them with Hypoid #90 gear oil over 2 years ago and they still work fine.
Ya, I use it on my Bicycle chains and the joints are oily it seems forever. I wipe every bit off the chain that I can as the lubricant on the outside of the chain is useless.

I'm using straight paraffin wax but not riding in the cold at the time. I might try adding some mineral oil and see what happens, or baby oil, think it is the same.

Why would you add baby oil in wax? If anything it will make things messier.

Lately I tried dry lubricants on metal parts by themselves to see how effective they are. There were several old rusty so I decided to use dry lubricants instead of oil. Both PTFE and WS2 on rusted locks were extremely effective. I just dusted a bit on the key and the lock and these locks which were very hard to open/close but immediately after dusting them they began working like butter.

At this point I am pretty convinced that it is a combination of dry lubricant and Wax that gives these extremely positive results/longevity. Wax covers inner plates and bushings while carrying the dry lubricant. While under pressure some of the wax is squeezed out, still a thin film stays on the metal. So the trapped dry lubricant reduces friction significantly while wax repels dirt and grime going in.

You're all heading down the wrong path... I think Silicone Based Lubricants are best as they provide long lasting lubrication allowing you to focus more on the pleasure of riding. They also provide a silky smooth chain that's not so buttery and less proned to yank damage.

Any lube is good for my chains, more better than no lube.
Right on @Rome. Some lube is better than no lube. Anything more I'll leave up to the chain Zealots.

I own bikes to ride, not maintain. Anything more than a few minutes of wiping and relubing and I'm out. If maintenance is your thing then respect, I wish I had the trait sometimes but it just never stuck.

Last edited:
Back