Ebike Chain Lubes

I had a bucket of group 4 synthetic oil left over from the race car days I’m gonna try to use up. For the first time in decades I didn’t have any gear oil for some reason. The stuff is nasty slippery and has good shock absorption or vibration damping characteristics.

Group IV base oils are made from polyalphaolefins (PAO), which are chemically engineered synthesized base oils. PAOs offer excellent stability, molecular uniformity and improved performance.

FWIF, maxima chain wax gave the best average results out of 54 lubes tested on the test posted above.

FWIF, maxima chain wax gave the best average results out of 54 lubes tested on the test posted above.
except motorcycle chains have o rings so lube does not get inside our out. thats totally different then what a bike chain needs plus a bike chain needs to stay clean. .

Last edited:
I heard this stuff was pretty good.

Oops wrong forum! :p

1684641053449.png

it gets sticky when it dries out and would attract dirt.
Well then.. You're in (what I consider) the wrong hole. 🙃

First off, motorcycle chains...much different in design and application.
And second. What would be the actual end result? 3 more miles from a chain if that? That's the true measure, not lab tests.
In the end just keep it clean as dirt wears more than fraction on a bicycle and use what's easiest for you.
Yes the spray waxes are easy and do flush out dirt during application.

Last edited:
Read any chain lube description... Same s*it, similar wording.
ps.. I've got a bridge for sale, guaranteed not to rust.
I was going to comment similar, but say it looks like it was written by chatGPT or some other AI. It ticks all the boxes of glittering generalities and vague marketspeak double-talk. The type of BS copypasta that advertising executives try to use to pretend audiences are as gullible as they were in 1950.

Which isn't necessarily inaccurate.

Has anybody tried graphite?I chucked an old motor and ancillary because I think me friend put gear oil on it
( yech) might graduate to belt drive one day.( and IGH) do not have time to monkey around these days, heck maybe even pure electric drive, when its all said and done electric motors make pretty good transmissions( ask the railroad Moguls)

except motorcycle chains have o rings so lube does not get inside our out. thats totally different then what a bike chain needs plus a bike chain needs to stay clean. .
If you actually took the time to view the test video you'd see that the Maxima chain wax was one of the top performers for keeping the chain clean. The guy throws sand on a metal plate after lubing and sees what sticks for all the lubes. Also it's one of the top performers for corrosion resistance. The product is made for all drive chains, not just mtc chains so although a sealed o-ring chain is "totally different" the product still performs.. It's a floor polish AND a dessert topping!

Has anybody tried graphite?I chucked an old motor and ancillary because I think me friend put gear oil on it
( yech) might graduate to belt drive one day.( and IGH) do not have time to monkey around these days, heck maybe even pure electric drive, when its all said and done electric motors make pretty good transmissions( ask the railroad Moguls)
I was using a dry moly for a while and wasn’t getting very good longevity. When I tested debris off the chain it was magnetic. So I quit using it. It might work better as an ingredient rather than 100%.

If you actually took the time to view the test video you'd see that the Maxima chain wax was one of the top performers for keeping the chain clean. The guy throws sand on a metal plate after lubing and sees what sticks for all the lubes. Also it's one of the top performers for corrosion resistance. The product is made for all drive chains, not just mtc chains so although a sealed o-ring chain is "totally different" the product still performs..
Yeah but what you don't want to understand is that you don't ride in a lab and your chain isn't a flat metal plate. Ride the chain for a few hours then throw sand mixed with salts, water, organic matter and the100's other contaminates found in a typical puddle.

It's a floor polish AND a dessert topping!
So until it's all that and a bag of chips... It's just more of the same.

ps... The previously mentioned Bridge is on sale now! 🙃

What role does dirt or foreign matter play in wear on a chain? And let’s see the proof. And the second part to that would be how does it compare to metal on metal wear.

Last edited:
Yeah but what you don't want to understand is that you don't ride in a lab and your chain isn't a flat metal plate. Ride the chain for a few hours then throw sand mixed with salts, water, organic matter and the100's other contaminates found in a typical puddle.

So until it's all that and a bag of chips... It's just more of the same.

ps... The previously mentioned Bridge is on sale now! 🙃
Actually, I understand the limitations of the testing quite well and until someone comes up with a better test, it's all we've got. For sure there are chain lubes that out perform other chain lubes even if this guys testing doesn't mimic real life riding conditions it's a pretty good effort on the testers part. So you can use "Bob's super deluxe chain lube" because they're "all the same" if you want. Since the testing is flawed, it doesn't matter WHAT you put on your chain.. Got it

What role does dirt or foreign matter play in wear on a chain? And let’s see the proof. And the second part to that would be how does it compare to metal on metal wear.
thats what causes the wear. Plus a dry chain. thats why a dry lube is good to keep the chain clean.

Yesterday I threw my bike on the stand, ran the chain through a towel to get the junk off, applied Squirt, job done... again...
Smooth gear changing, getting closer to 4000km on this chain with little wear.
No reason to change from Squirt wax lube.

Yesterday I threw my bike on the stand, ran the chain through a towel to get the junk off, applied Squirt, job done... again...
Smooth gear changing, getting closer to 4000km on this chain with little wear.
No reason to change from Squirt wax lube.
most of the lubes way to go overnight to dry charts not practical for me. or its too cold to really use them then ride.

Seriously?
Statement made by just about every chain lube out there not to mention just common sense.

Chain-Saver Wax-Based Chain Lube with Teflon Fluoropolymer
Patented 'Self-Cleaning' O-Ring Safe, Dry Wax Lubricant Extends Chain and Sprocket Life Up To 5x
DuPont's Chain-Saver is formulated for chains and cables used in high contamination or wet environments, going on wet to penetrate and evenly coat frictional surfaces with a dry Teflon fluoropolymer wax film. This wax film will not absorb abrasive contaminants including dirt, grit, paper dust, mill powders, lint and grass.

or

Squirt Clean Long Lasting Chain Lube
Why it works
Squirt Chain Lube does not attract dust or debris and stays clean. It will not form a black paste that causes long term damage to a drivetrain. When applied to the chain it dries, leaving a microfilm of wax that is clean, dry and water repellen

My proof is between my legs on every ride.... but I am in the process of conducting wear tests in a NASA Certified Clean Room. 🙃

Last edited:
Back