Ebike battery house fire in Australia

I agree.

I never watch my battery getting charged.
That would be a huge waste of time.

I don't know anyone who sits right beside the battery getting charged for hours.

That's a bit unrealistic expectation if we can't leave the charger unattended.
Agreed, What I do to minimize risk is, place a $4, battery operated, smoke alarm, directly above the battery, (on the wall 2 feet from the ceiling as per detector instructions), with an electrical fire extinguasher near by. I also charge away from flamable objects and use a outlet timer to automaticlly shut off the "2 amp" charger.

My chargers are plugged into one of these.

When get home from a ride, I recharge for the approximate amount of time I know will get my batteries back up to around 75%. In the morning, if I know I am going to ride a good distance, I top off the battery about 2 hours before hand.

They are a good $12 insurance policy.

Simple Touch the Original Auto ShutOff Safety Countdown Outlet, Multi Setting

s-l1600.png

Charging unattended, like while sleeping, is a dumb practice. Anyone that thinks their glued cell batteries aren't at a higher risk...well, London Bridge anyone?

My chargers are plugged into one of these.

When get home from a ride, I recharge for the approximate amount of time I know will get my batteries back up to around 75%. In the morning, if I know I am going to ride a good distance, I top off the battery about 2 hours before hand.

They are a good $12 insurance policy.

Simple Touch the Original Auto ShutOff Safety Countdown Outlet, Multi Setting

View attachment 82165
These are the type I use:

Seems to be a bafang motor and battery. I’m willing to bet this is not user error.

Not surprising at all since Bafang’s quality control is lacking across the board through out their range of motors and batteries.

I take extra precautions with my bafang hub drive and always charge the battery outdoors using the power outlets from my outbuilding.

Fortunately no one got hurt and their house didn’t burn down.

Last edited:
How do you know it was Bafang battery?
It's very hard to tell from that aftermath. What kind of cell does Bafang use?
And I've yet to see someone with a Bafang brand battery. Leads me to believe that they don't sell outside of China.
And as Harry stated it looks like a very large battery judging by the number of cells and I bet it was a hack job battery by no name Chinese vendor or DIY.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know it was Bafang battery?
It's very hard to tell from that aftermath. What kind of cell does Bafang use?
The motor and controller are definitely Bafang, I can see that for sure.

The battery seems to be the “c” carrier rack flat wide orientation bafang usually makes.

Last edited:
But why are we talking about motor (or controller) here?
Does it even matter? 🤔

When you're charging a battery... charger, battery, BMS, and some other stuff will matter, but I don't think motor and controller would?

I'm not sure the motor played the factor in this incident in any way? Didn't it happen while the bike was charging?
The motor and controller play no roll in the issue.
These are DIY kits so the battery source can be from anyone of 1000 sources...most questionable.
But again I'd bet not a Bafang brand as I've never seen one in use outside of china

Last edited by a moderator:
But why are we talking about motor (or controller) here?
Does it even matter? 🤔

When you're charging a battery... charger, battery, BMS, and some other stuff will matter, but I don't think motor and controller would?

I'm not sure the motor played the factor in this incident in any way? Didn't it happen while the bike was charging?
The fact that the motor and controller are bafang makes it very likely the battery was bafang too.

It could be from many sources, yeah.
Bafang powered ebikes are everywhere, I'd even say it is the most popular company in North American market.
Yet I can't think of one company that uses Bafang battery.
If you go to the Bafang website you'll see as you said earlier, they do not manufacture batteries of that size and all are sold to OEM bicycle manufacturers in China, not for use in DIY kits like the BBSxx that was on the melted bicycle

It could be from many sources, yeah.
Bafang powered ebikes are everywhere, I'd even say it is the most popular company in North American market.
Yet I can't think of one company that uses Bafang battery.
That’s strange because their the most popular DIY batteries in the USA and Australia. The link you provided from bafang is their new branded type that will be available mostly in the E.U. that’s supposed to be more reliable than the batteries that explode like the one from the article in the guardian.

I’m sorry but you’re simply not correct.

That’s strange because their the most popular DIY batteries in the USA and Australia. The link you provided from bafang is their new branded type that will be available mostly in the E.U. that’s supposed to be more reliable than the batteries that explode like the one from the article in the guardian.

That is not Bafang... It's an imposter pretending to be the manufacturer.
e-commerce 101

If you go to the Bafang website you'll see as you said earlier, they do not manufacture batteries of that size and all are sold to OEM bicycle manufacturers in China, not for use in DIY kits like the BBSxx that was on the melted bicycle
LMAO! What?

I’m sorry but you’re simply not correct.

Bafang USA has no link to the company. Just a reseller playing off a false premise. No link to Bafang factory.

I don't think this website is official Bafang site? Maybe they're some kind of ebike kit store? 🤔

For example this one, has Hailong battery (it even says HL logo on the battery)
You realize there’s a lot more than just a kit right?
Charging lithium batteries involves a lot more than just the cells, it also involves a lot more internals regulating the charge,etc.
here’s an example of what one battery pack comes

• 48V 11.6Ah Lithium-ion Ebike Battery Pack
  • Genuine, High-quality Samsung 29E 18650 Cells
  • Smart Battery Management System (don't have to worry about overcharging!)
  • Direct (Male and Female) Anderson plug connections for Bafang motor kit
  • Ultra-Slim Ebike design that easily fits and mounts on most bike frames
  • Ebike Battery Mount (typically mounted on bike's downtube were the water bottle holder goes)
  • Convenient and quick mounting release to easily take your battery on and off your bike
  • Lockable and removable with two keys included
  • LED light charge-level indicator
  • High-Quality Aluminum Battery Charger with built-in fan and 3-prong grounded US Plug (your choice of 2amp or 3amp Quick Charger)
  • Easy to use charger port
  • Pack voltage: 48 volts
  • Pack capacity: 11.6 Amp hours
  • Up to 556-watt hours
  • 35 Amps Continuous BMS Discharge Rate
  • Lightweight approximately 7 pounds

48V

And yes it is an an official Bafang site. If you’re going to argue that bafangusadirect.com is not Bafang then I’m afraid and I respectfully say this but you’re just gaslighting now.

Curious... How are you implementing the tool box. Are you placing the battery inside to charge?

Personally I don't go that far, but I do take steps to be careful when charging.
I charge in the middle of my basement floor which is concrete and has a 10' ceiling.
I keep a fire extinguisher in the adjacent room.
I use a low amperage charger (2a) to charge slowly.
I typically charge to around 80% using my diy solar charge controller mostly to extend cycle life but it also adds a layer of safety as overcharging is when this type of failure would probably occur.
I also have charging set up in home automation that will shut everything down in 5 hours and sends me a notification at start up and a reminder at 4 hours in... my typical charge time.
I keep an old wifi camera in the room that allows me to see what's going on.
Occasionally I measure the battery case and charger temperature near the end of a charge with a non contact gun to see if anything is above normal.
This all may seem like a lot... But I actually enjoy this approach and I don't find it inconvenient at all.
Not yet as I generally wait until evening to charge when I’m nearby. Mine is charged only when I’m there with an extinguisher nearby and it’s on a tile floor near the back door. I charge using the OEM Bosch charger and I mostly charge to 100%. My charger has never gotten more than just a little warm.
The batteries were kept in the metal box all winter @50% charge and whenever I’m transporting them in any vehicle along with the bikes.

Back