Do you regret buying (or not buying) Step-thru vs. Step-over frame?

Don't miss swinging a leg over one bit. The frame feels plenty rigid enough for road and light off-road use. And it works well with my Thule EasyFold XT hitch rack.
I've read comments about frame rigidity for all the years I've owned step-through builds. I've never noticed it on any of the 3 frames I've kitted. I'd have thought that if it were an issue it would be more obvious on a frame not engineered for eBike builds.

FWIW Electra Townie step through acoustic and electric are the same frame.

BTW that is an attractive factory eBike. I especially like the rear rack integration and the front rack looks like it belongs. Not an aftermarket hack. How have Surface shocks performed? I know it's new to you but had you read any disappointing reviews? Who makes the shock?

As you get older I’ve learned to care less about style and more about not breaking bones. I’m 60 and can still get on a regular Diamond frame bike but it’s getting awkward. I tried a couple before I bought my step through. You just have to get over it being a “girls” bike.

As you get older I’ve learned to care less about style and more about not breaking bones. I’m 60 and can still get on a regular Diamond frame bike but it’s getting awkward. I tried a couple before I bought my step through. You just have to get over it being a “girls” bike.
Did you ever stop to wonder why the boys bike has the ball crusher bar and the girls bike doesn't?

I had a checklist of what I wanted in a bike and knew there'd be some compromises. in the end the thing I gave up was the step through cause the bike I fell in love with didn't have that option. Right now I'm riding it with a box bag on the back. I can see that I'll probably be ditching that at some point to keep getting my leg over. If there is step through option on the bike you want, I'd go with it. This aging thing mostly only goes one direction.

Attachments

• IMG20220606083600.jpg
    IMG20220606083600.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
For me to get on a Diamond frame bike I actually throw my leg towards the handle bars. For whatever reason that’s easier for me.

BTW that is an attractive factory eBike. I especially like the rear rack integration and the front rack looks like it belongs. Not an aftermarket hack. How have Surface shocks performed? I know it's new to you but had you read any disappointing reviews? Who makes the shock?
Thanks! Per the manufacturer, the spring-only shocks are Suntour XCM with lockout, preload adjustment, and 80mm of travel. With the optional Suntour NCX seat post, that's all the suspension I need.

Didn't know what to do with the front rack at first, as a 9x11x6" box would be the largest possible load. But got some good help in the
"Snazzy Front Rack. Now what to do with it?" thread I started at https://electricbikereview.com/forums/posts/572435/.

Addendum: Reviews have been pretty good for this price point ($2,699 stock). EBR reviewed the 2022 Rook -- maybe a mid-step?

Last edited:
I have never regretted purchasing a diamond frame / “step over” bike. lighter, stiffer, better able to be tuned for damping and stiffness by the tube design, etc. it does not seem hard to me to lift a leg, but for those who have issues with that I’m glad there are step through bikes.

I do not regret buying a step-thru. I am 62 and felt that at some time in the future I may not be able to swing my leg over the seat. Also, I plan on getting a cargo "thing" of some sort which may further inhibit swinging of the leg over the seat. One thing to check is the step-thru or stand-over height. I tried one that was 23". It was actually easier in my case to swing my leg over the seat than to lift my leg high enough to step through. A quick check is this: The average kitchen chair seat is about 18" - 20". Put a broom handle across two chairs and try stepping over it. If it is too difficult to do, then you will not want a step-thru height in that range.

Regarding a rack: E-bikes are heavy and need to be supported underneath. I have this rack: https://hyperax.co/products/volt2. I will need to get crossbars like these to put between the seat post and handlebar stem. https://hyperax.co/products/ebadp. You will find many less expensive versions on eBay or Amazon.

I haven't tried the rack and crossbars yet, but when I do, I will drive around in my bumpy backyard a couple of times to make sure the bikes stay firmly secured in the rack.
I think this highlighted is worth repeating. As they are not all the same, some not even similar, that step over height (on step over styled bikes) seems to have disappointed quite a few. It may not be as easy as it looks to raise your foot high enough to clear. LOVE the idea of the broom stick test idea mentioned by @procreator with whatever height you need for the bike you're looking at. Sure, a little trouble to set it up, but it may save a lot of disappointment when the bike is out of the box and assembled....

As far as the diamand style vs. step over, there ARE extreme cases (like my own) with extra large riders (275+lbs) involved, that are going to be placing a LOT of stress in that step over area. Top bar pretty much eliminates trouble in that area. Yes there are some really well engineered step overs, but unless you feel you are able to weed out good/bad designs on sight, I think it might be an area where larger riders may want to do some due diligence.... FWIW, -Al

Nice ride! I find myself liking Bosch systems more and more. As I close down my shop and settle into riding my last builds we're looking for an eBike for Ms. The LBS here sells and services Trek/Bosch systems. I want her to have a shop to rely on. She can afford the expense and my crippled hands and back get relief from the demands of working on another bike. These days I have the LBS do ALL of the non-eBike-related repairs and replacements.

My only disappointment is that Trek/Bosch is the only game in town. No Gazelle or other Bosch users.

Are the brakes hydraulic rim brakes?
Yes. The new Arroyos have disk brakes and a few more changes. My bike is three years old.

Hi, Excuse me for jumping in late. The Level 2 is nice for the money. What you need is called a Frame Adaptor for a car rack. Would you want a step thru in five years? Read my review of the 2023 Level 2.

Attachments

• FrameAdaptor.jpg
    FrameAdaptor.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 146
Can you post a link to your review?

Does anybody out there regret NOT buying a step-thru frame? Thanks!
Although I can still swing a leg over my conventional Trek MTB, I don't know how much longer that will be the case. E-bikes are expensive to purchase and outfit. As insurance to be able to use my investment well into the future, I bought a step thru and don't regret it at all.

I can still hoof a leg over the back (when the rear rack isn't loaded down, I often do), but I'm super stocky (barely 29" inseam at 5'8"), so I have zero regrets about a step thru in city traffic.

20221105_154934.jpg

Back