Do you regret buying (or not buying) Step-thru vs. Step-over frame?

I'm close to pulling the trigger to buy two torque-sensor ebikes (either Aventon Level.2 or Ride1Up LMT'D, but that doesn't really matter for this question). I'm hesitant to buy step-thru frames because they don't look like "normal" bikes to me, and there are fewer options for transporting on a hitch-receiver bike rack.

Does anybody out there regret NOT buying a step-thru frame? Thanks!
The simple answer is yes. Had I purchased a step through in the first place I would have only had to buy one bike.

I'm close to pulling the trigger to buy two torque-sensor ebikes (either Aventon Level.2 or Ride1Up LMT'D, but that doesn't really matter for this question). I'm hesitant to buy step-thru frames because they don't look like "normal" bikes to me, and there are fewer options for transporting on a hitch-receiver bike rack.

How old are you ? I am 66 . When I first got my Men's Vado I had to lean it sideways and swing my leg over . After a couple of months it's a piece of cake . I ride my seat up high . At 8.5 using a Redshift Shockstop seat post. I did buy a Quick Release seat post clamp just in case . Haven't had to use it .

I occasionally ride my wife's step thru . IMO it's awkward . In fact I find myself swinging my leg over like I was getting off my bike anyway . If you are hesitating to buy a step thru . Go with your gut . You'll limber up if you try to. Unless you have some undisclosed issues you don't care to discuss.

The only thing that would make me regret a step thru is if I decided to use the bike for serious single track or downhill. On many bikes, there is some compromise in strength over a diamond frame.
At my age however, downhill is a thing of the past and I'm not likely to get back into it anytime soon. :(

How old are you ? I am 66 . When I first got my Men's Vado I had to lean it sideways and swing my leg over . After a couple of months it's a piece of cake . I ride my seat up high . At 8.5 using a Redshift Shockstop seat post. I did buy a Quick Release seat post clamp just in case . Haven't had to use it .

I occasionally ride my wife's step thru . IMO it's awkward . In fact I find myself swinging my leg over like I was getting off my bike anyway . If you are hesitating to buy a step thru . Go with your gut . You'll limber up if you try to. Unless you have some undisclosed issues you don't care to discuss.
I'm a 6'1/300lb 71 year old and able to swing my leg over a conventional diamond (been actively riding for quite a while). My wife has a fairly low step through (that she loves) and I can't get my damn 14 size foot through there gracefully enough (without danger of taking a tumble), so even her step through is mounted by tipping the bike toward me like my diamond style bikes. Point being, just because it's a step through design does not mean it's going to be like some scooter you can jump on and off of..... Due diligence still a good plan!

Hi, Excuse me for jumping in late. The Level 2 is nice for the money. What you need is called a Frame Adaptor for a car rack. Would you want a step thru in five years? Read my review of the 2023 Level 2.
I use frame adapters on both our bikes, but only with a platform rack; I definitely would not want to suspend the bike from that frame adapter--it's not designed for that.

I have folding wire baskets plus a trunk that I'd have to swing a leg over. Plus I'm 85 and figure I can do whatever I want. I love the step thru.

I'm a 6'1/300lb 71 year old and able to swing my leg over a conventional diamond (been actively riding for quite a while). My wife has a fairly low step through (that she loves) and I can't get my damn 14 size foot through there gracefully enough (without danger of taking a tumble), so even her step through is mounted by tipping the bike toward me like my diamond style bikes. Point being, just because it's a step through design does not mean it's going to be like some scooter you can jump on and off of..... Due diligence still a good plan!
Agreed :) Good point

Here is the step-thru I recently made and its new owner yesterday. It is both Class 2 and Class 3. The thumb throttle max is 20Mph. The torque sensor pedal assistance max is 28, although it is geared more for climbs than speed. The bike is a mid-drive with 8 internal gears. It has wide grips and a light touch shifter. Later today I will start on her husband's mid-step. One block away from this location a woman, Margaret, is remolding and lost her charger. I assured her that as soon as she orders a new one, the old one will appear! Because these bikes are not proprietary her replacement charger was $10, not $265.
1669047864972.jpeg

1669048026019.jpeg

Here is the step-thru I recently made and its new owner yesterday. It is both Class 2 and Class 3. The thumb throttle max is 20Mph. The torque sensor pedal assistance max is 28, although it is geared more for climbs than speed. The bike is a mid-drive with 8 internal gears. It has wide grips and a light touch shifter. Later today I will start on her husband's mid-step. One block away from this location a woman, Margaret, is remolding and lost her charger. I assured her that as soon as she orders a new one, the old one will appear! Because these bikes are not proprietary her replacement charger was $10, not $265.
View attachment 140712
View attachment 140713

In my 60's and my bikes are step over's. My wife's bike is a Como step thru. Occasionally I'll take it for a ride. The lack of a cross bar just seems weird to me. I'll keep stepping over as long as I can.

late to the party but if you are using it as a commuter then step through all the way. if you have to swing your leg up and over you will quickly learn how well your clothes really fit. on a mountain bike or something you will only ride while wearing spandex it doesn't really matter but wearing office trousers on your way to pick up coffee before work you don't want to be doing gymnastics. step through frame and swung back handlebars for an upright seated position is simply the most comfortable way to ride.

Structurally, a diamond frame is ideal, but because the weight of an ebike is less important than the weight of a conventional bike, larger tubes and additional bracing can provide a good structure by adding material that would add too much weight to a conventional bike.

The step through being less rigid can supply some additional vertical compliance which can make the ride a little more forgiving.

I still ride a diamond frame, but any benefit of that design would be useless if I couldn’t get on and off easily.

Many years ago when our 30ish daughter was little we had a seat mounted to the back of a conventional bicycle for her. After the experience of riding with her for several years I eventually said to myself "never again." It was just too awkward and perhaps more than a bit unsafe for me to try and balance myself as I swung my leg high enough to clear the crossbar with her on the bicycle. Now I am decades older, and a step through makes even more sense; I couldn't care less about whether it looks like a traditional bicycle or not.

I know exactly what you're referring to. More than once I clocked one of my kids in the head trying to swing my leg over. That was over 35 years ago, and I still can't get them to sit in that seat.

When i purchased my bike 6 years ago, i opted for a hybrid frame. I don't at all regret my choice; after not riding for 6 months, @ 73 i will admit to difficulties for the first couple of weeks. If/when I replace my bike, I will opt for a step-thru.

Yes and no. I don't regret it because very often I carry stuff on the rear rack which would make dismounting awkward without the step-thru. I do regret the step thru because the bike has such tremendous sway when loaded. I also do not like the appearance of step-thru.

No regrets on frame style. I bought a Lectric standard-frame for me and a step-through for the gf/wife. She wanted the step through because it looks like a traditional girl's bike. I wanted the straight-frame because I grew up riding BMX bikes and it looked more like what I'm used to.

I initially found that bringing my leg around the back of the bike when getting on it was a pain because of the rack and bag I have on the back were always getting in the way. I then realized that the center bar on the bike is actually low enough that I can get on it just like a step-through. So, best of both worlds for me.

BTW, I have ridden her step-through and found it to not feel as well balanced as my regular frame. I guess that is the nature of that frame style.

I would be curious to know if most folks feel step throughs are not as well balanced and don’t handle as well as conventional framed bikes.

How old are you ? I am 66 . When I first got my Men's Vado I had to lean it sideways and swing my leg over . After a couple of months it's a piece of cake . I ride my seat up high .
Sometimes I wish I had different parents. At age 59 I could still kick my foot higher than my head. Muscles stiffened up, where in my mid-sixties getting on a diamond frame bike involved tipping it sideways and dancing around. Now at 72 I'm having trouble not scraping the wires with my foot on top bar of the step-through bike shown left. I do stretch every other day; all it does is help me get out of bed.
Rpr, there is almost no difference handling of this bodaboda step-through (left atavar) versus diamond MTB's. I don't jump boulders or picnic tables and I only weigh 160 lb. The cargo on the back weighs 80 lb sometimes. One difference, the MTB's threw me over the handlebars on my chin & arms 5 times 2000 to 2018. This bodaboda has not done that in 5 years. The bodaboda front wheel has no tendency to snap sideways on bumps, high pavement separators, ridges of gravel, or sticks.

Last edited:
I would be curious to know if most folks feel step throughs are not as well balanced and don’t handle as well as conventional framed bikes.
I think a step through handles the same. What I notice the most was with a Diamond frame when you stop, the top bar is trapped between your legs and you can let go of the handlebars. With a step through if you do that the bike falls over.

I'm going to bet a lot of that answer will depend on how hard the rider is pushing the bike - and possibly tire pressures may come into play?

Then too, the age of a lot of the respondents here sort of set up a set of priorities. Like they may not be able to ride a diamond frame, so it's step through frame or watch TV. That being the case, my bet is peak handling abilities may not even be a factor. If it rolls, it can do the job just fine....

Back