Do most speed sensor systems use a magnet that's mounted to a wheel spoke

because I rather have center lock its much easier to change a disc.
Disputable. You only need a hex key to replace the disk on the 6-bolt system but you need to own a cassette torque wrench with the proper bit to replace the Centerlock one.
I stick with the disk mounting system as provided with a given e-bike.

Disputable. You only need a hex key to replace the disk on the 6-bolt system but you need to own a cassette torque wrench with the proper bit to replace the Centerlock one.
I stick with the disk mounting system as provided with a given e-bike.
you need a hex and maybe a torque wrench. plus a lot more time. this guy will remove the nut if its a outside nut like most are now https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Multifunctional-Wrench-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B086MXL586/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2UGYGVR3HR5E7&keywords=bottom+bracket+tool&qid=1691550770&sprefix=bottom+bracket+tool,aps,161&sr=8-9
some good hand pressure and maybe 1 minute and your done

you need a hex and maybe a torque wrench. plus a lot more time. this guy will remove the nut if its a outside nut like most are now https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Multifunctional-Wrench-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B086MXL586/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2UGYGVR3HR5E7&keywords=bottom+bracket+tool&qid=1691550770&sprefix=bottom+bracket+tool,aps,161&sr=8-9
some good hand pressure and maybe 1 minute and your done
Yes, replacing a Centerlock requires a minute provided you have all necessary tools. Replacing a 6-bolt takes 6 minutes maximum :) The type of the brake disk mount is totally irrelevant, as the work with brake disks is perhaps taken every 3 years... And could be done by a bike mechanic.

My speed sensor is tucked away nicely and protected inside my hub motor.
It's the white wire in the motor cable.

A single magnet on a spoke gives you one pulse per rotation.

I've got 6 magnetic pulses per revolution,.. way more accurate and immediate.

My speed sensor is tucked away nicely and protected inside my hub motor.
It's the white wire in the motor cable.

A single magnet on a spoke gives you one pulse per rotation.

I've got 6 magnetic pulses per revolution,.. way more accurate and immediate.
thats the cadence sensor. it would be pointless to have more than one you just found wheel rotations. the accuracy is in setting the right wheel circumference.

Last edited:
thats the cadence sensor. it would be pointless to have more ethane one you just found wheel rotations. the accuracy is in setting the right wheel circumference.

I've got a few white wire going to and from my controller, but I only have one white wire going to and from my motor.

That wire give 6 pulses per revolution of the the wheel.

Screenshot_20230809-191258_Gallery.jpg

it would be pointless to have more ethane.

I don't have ethane, but I do have ethanol, and it would be pointless to not drink some more. 😂 🍻

The motors I mostly use allow for up to 12 wheel speed magnets. One could install 6 and tell the system that it has 12. Or 1 and tell the system that it has 3. The spinner thing was something called 'humor'. It is purely for entertainment value. Laughs. Some folks don't get it. And it is useless to explain a joke to someone who does not get it.

I agree some less expensive Giant e-bikes might come with the spoke magnets. That's why you are getting a reliable modern solution with more expensive e-bikes.

A Stance E+ could be very good for you! Giant can make nice and decently priced e-MTBs, and the Stance is a full-suspension one. Yes, the Stance has the magnet installed on the brake rotor.

There is only one thing I would like to make you aware of: The Stance is a purely off-road e-bike. It is not an all-rounder e-bike. I made a mistake three years ago buying a Trance E+ to realize I had to transport it to the trails with my car, as it was a pain to ride an off-road e-bike on the pavement... Loud, slow, tiresome, and with a disappointingly low battery range.

The Tero is more an all-rounder.
Wow, while I didn't expect a full-suspension bike to be a great commuter even with the suspensions locked, I had no idea that it'd be so bad. Would mounting more pavement-friendly tires help with the noise and drag issues? Regardless, it'll be a pain swapping tires unless you invest in a second set of wheels. That's why I was focusing on getting a hardtail but the choices are so limited.

One advantage of the spoke-mounted magnet is the opportunity to adjust the position on the spoke to “calibrate” the speedometer. My 2 Bosch ebikes with the pickup sensor in the chainstay are always off (too high) by 2-3mph.
My wife’s Bosch has the spoke magnet and it is true. We check our speedometers against several street radar units.

Wow, while I didn't expect a full-suspension bike to be a great commuter even with the suspensions locked, I had no idea that it'd be so bad. Would mounting more pavement-friendly tires help with the noise and drag issues? Regardless, it'll be a pain swapping tires unless you invest in a second set of wheels. That's why I was focusing on getting a hardtail but the choices are so limited.
I've been running a 2021 Stance E+2 since Jan 2021.
I now have over 4000kms on it 60% road and 40% dirt/trails/gravel.
I wore out the original Maxxis Rekon tubeless tires, and then went to Continental Ruban tubeless (not Eruban).
I go everywhere.
I commute to work occasionally, I ride road a lot, I ride gravel and trails a lot.
This bike (and my previous Fathom E+2 both run the magnet on spoke. Neither have EVER been a problem. No drops, no loss, no adjustments, no nothing.
So I've done over 6000kms with a magnet on spoke format with zero issues. The work buddy I sold my Fathom to has had zero issues for over 2 years.
I consider the Stance E+2 an all around SUV type machine. I carry groceries, ride road for pleasure or commute, and bash the occasional trails.
My son has the Talon 29er and has had zero issues for 18 months commuting to work. When his Maxxis Rekons wear out he'll probably get something more road friendly like my Rubans, or maybe Johnny Watts.
The right tires are an important component to your riding style.
I am blissfully happy with the Stance E+2. The rear shock (although entry level) makes the ride super comfy!
Choose your weapon and enjoy! :)

Last edited:
One advantage of the spoke-mounted magnet is the opportunity to adjust the position on the spoke to “calibrate” the speedometer. My 2 Bosch ebikes with the pickup sensor in the chainstay are always off (too high) by 2-3mph.
My wife’s Bosch has the spoke magnet and it is true. We check our speedometers against several street radar units.
you cant adjust it that way you need to change the wheel circumference. if you anything but the purion you can adjust it.

Installing all-rounder tyres certainly helps reducing noise and the rolling resistance. However, a full-suspension e-MTB is also lowly geared for climbing, and has the geometry suitable for the trail but not necessarily for the city. Installing a rear rack is a mission. In case you need mudguards, you need to find ones appropriate for an MTB, and you might rather forget of a kickstand.

I respect the views of @DaveMatthews. I know Dave has "urbanized" his Stance E+. My brother has "urbanized" the Trance E+. The whole point is why buy an off-road e-bike when it would be ridden most of the time on-road?

Tero and Tero X (full suspension) e-bikes were designed as the e-SUV from the beginning. Yes, they cost more.

Installing all-rounder tyres certainly helps reducing noise and the rolling resistance. However, a full-suspension e-MTB is also lowly geared for climbing, and has the geometry suitable for the trail but not necessarily for the city. Installing a rear rack is a mission. In case you need mudguards, you need to find ones appropriate for an MTB, and you might rather forget of a kickstand.

I respect the views of @DaveMatthews. I know Dave has "urbanized" his Stance E+. My brother has "urbanized" the Trance E+. The whole point is why buy an off-road e-bike when it would be ridden most of the time on-road?

Tero and Tero X (full suspension) e-bikes were designed as the e-SUV from the beginning. Yes, they cost more.
Yup, totally depends (like all things) on the intended use case.
I wanted a dirt capable bike that does/is comfortable with more.
Others might want a more road centric, or gravel specific bike.
There are a crap ton of choices, and they are all able to be modified to suit.

Yup, totally depends (like all things) on the intended use case.
I wanted a dirt capable bike that does/is comfortable with more.
Others might want a more road centric, or gravel specific bike.
There are a crap ton of choices, and they are all able to be modified to suit.
The ultimate way to find out is a day long demo ride but I know it is rarely possible. I would consider an e-bike such as a Stance E+ if I lived in a montane area for sure!

A bunch of fun facts about the Trance E+:
  • It had a sticker: "Designed for off-road use only!"
  • I borrowed the "urbanized" Trance E+ from my brother for a 100 km gravel group ride. The e-bike shone in exactly two situations: sand riding, and climbing a sandy steep ascent where other riders had to carry or walk their gravel bikes uphill. However, riding onto the pavement made the group disappear at the distance (I could not pedal at the cadence high enough to catch up with them).
  • My brother uses the Trance E+ mostly for the urban use, but he can muster as high cadence as to be able to ride with gravel cyclists! He has built a spare wheelset himself. The stock (high quality) wheels are used for most of the year with either Schwalbe Johnny Watts or Johnny Watts 365 tyres (the latter for the cold and wet season). The seconds set (which is quality but not that good as the Giant's) is for the studded tyres for the real winter use!
Dave, I did not know of the e-SUV version of the Stance E+, thank you!

The ultimate way to find out is a day long demo ride but I know it is rarely possible. I would consider an e-bike such as a Stance E+ if I lived in a montane area for sure!

A bunch of fun facts about the Trance E+:
  • It had a sticker: "Designed for off-road use only!"
  • I borrowed the "urbanized" Trance E+ from my brother for a 100 km gravel group ride. The e-bike shone in exactly two situations: sand riding, and climbing a sandy steep ascent where other riders had to carry or walk their gravel bikes uphill. However, riding onto the pavement made the group disappear at the distance (I could not pedal at the cadence high enough to catch up with them).
  • My brother uses the Trance E+ mostly for the urban use, but he can muster as high cadence as to be able to ride with gravel cyclists! He has built a spare wheelset himself. The stock (high quality) wheels are used for most of the year with either Schwalbe Johnny Watts or Johnny Watts 365 tyres (the latter for the cold and wet season). The seconds set (which is quality but not that good as the Giant's) is for the studded tyres for the real winter use!
Dave, I did not know of the e-SUV version of the Stance E+, thank you!
And it'll take the 800wh battery option so it'll go a loooooong way before needing a charge!

FYI, the rear shock has no lockout, but the front fork does.
Hasn't been an issue for me so far, but a rear shock lock would be nice. Will upgrade that at the appropriate time.

And it'll take the 800wh battery option so it'll go a loooooong way before needing a charge!
I totally agree!

FYI, the rear shock has no lockout, but the front fork does.
Hasn't been an issue for me so far, but a rear shock lock would be nice. Will upgrade that at the appropriate time.
Why should you lock the suspension out at all?

Ahh, that was a ride! A gravel group met a nasty long segment of rough cobblestone. Everyone but Jacek rode the narrow and sandy road shoulder, while Jacek was zooming the cobblestones on the Trance E+. Someone remarked: "Jacek certainly cannot complain here?" to which he answered exactly as if a cold German would do: "One cannot complain", followed by a little smile :D

Back