Do most speed sensor systems use a magnet that's mounted to a wheel spoke

I totally agree!

Why should you lock the suspension out at all?

Ahh, that was a ride! A gravel group met a nasty long segment of rough cobblestone. Everyone but Jacek rode the narrow and sandy road shoulder, while Jacek was zooming the cobblestones on the Trance E+. Someone remarked: "Jacek certainly cannot complain here?" to which he answered exactly as if a cold German would do: "One cannot complain", followed by a little smile :D
Yup... exactly!
I'd only occasionally want a lockout for large loads on the rear rack/panniers.

,..the accuracy is in setting the right wheel circumference.

I have settings for my wheel diameter as well as settings for number of magnets and the gear ratio of my hub motor, then I adjust P1 from 1-255 to fine tune the speedometer.

20230812_074843.jpg

I used a GPS speedometer app on my phone to get my actual speed, then set my P1 to 87.

I set my speedometer to over read my actual speed by 1 kph at 32 kph.

As soon as I go over 32 kph on my ebike, I'm risking $5000 in fines.

My ebike will go above 35 kph on level ground with a tail wind and a full charge, and I think that it will go over 45 kph if I pedal, but I didn't hook up my cadence sensor, so I don't know for sure.

The ultimate way to find out is a day long demo ride but I know it is rarely possible. I would consider an e-bike such as a Stance E+ if I lived in a montane area for sure!

A bunch of fun facts about the Trance E+:
  • It had a sticker: "Designed for off-road use only!"
  • I borrowed the "urbanized" Trance E+ from my brother for a 100 km gravel group ride. The e-bike shone in exactly two situations: sand riding, and climbing a sandy steep ascent where other riders had to carry or walk their gravel bikes uphill. However, riding onto the pavement made the group disappear at the distance (I could not pedal at the cadence high enough to catch up with them).
  • My brother uses the Trance E+ mostly for the urban use, but he can muster as high cadence as to be able to ride with gravel cyclists! He has built a spare wheelset himself. The stock (high quality) wheels are used for most of the year with either Schwalbe Johnny Watts or Johnny Watts 365 tyres (the latter for the cold and wet season). The seconds set (which is quality but not that good as the Giant's) is for the studded tyres for the real winter use!
Dave, I did not know of the e-SUV version of the Stance E+, thank you!
Stefan, you brought up a good point - gearing is an important consideration. While I live in Vancouver, BC, and there're lots of mountain trails minutes from where I live, I'd still need the proper gearing to ride on the flats in mu commute. Someone once brought a Trek e road bike to the group ride and that was the last time we saw him with that bike ever again. A Class-1 ebike is no match to a mechanical road bike on the flats, regardless of gearings. An e-MTB would fare much worse.

Ted, it is very important how much of your riding would be spent on the pavement.

I used to ride my Vado in mild offroad a lot only recently something clicked in my mind and now I'm scared to leave the paved roads...

Hi Dave, can non-Topeak panniers be used with this rack? Giant doesn't sell the fender-rack combo they have for the EX version. Also, do you know if SKS fenders that screw onto the forks be used here? Thiese may also be an option for the Tero.
I'm sure Dave will chime in. From my own experience: you can use, e.g., Ortlieb QL2.1 panniers (the most popular) with the Tetrarack M2. SKS fenders do fit. At least all is true for Trance E+.

Ted, it is very important how much of your riding would be spent on the pavement.

I used to ride my Vado in mild offroad a lotonly recently something clicked in my mind and now I'm scared to leave the paved roads...
Do you care to share what changed your mind? The Vado is such a complete package that I'm tempted to get one...but my brain tells me that I should go for a hardtail.

I'm sure Dave will chime in. From my own experience: you can use, e.g., Ortlieb QL2.1 panniers (the most popular) with the Tetrarack M2. SKS fenders do fit. At least all is true for Trance E+.
I do have a pair of Ortlieb Classic panniers that I intend to use on my commute.

I do have a pair of Ortlieb Classic panniers that I intend to use on my commute.
It will fit perfectly. When I was the Trance E+ owner, one of the things I did was buying a Tetrarack M2 and using it to carry Ortlieb Classic panniers :) Tetrarack M2 and Old Man Mountain are the only two aftermarket e-MTB racks I have ever heard of. I chose a Tetrarack as the OMM was not available in my region.

Do you care to share what changed your mind? The Vado is such a complete package that I'm tempted to get one...but my brain tells me that I should go for a hardtail.
Ted...

I was an active gravel e-cyclist with my Vado and Vado SL, and I was even a club member. I could complete a 263 km gravel ultramarathon where I alternately rode the heavy Vado and the lightweight Vado SL (for the battery plan considerations). What we ride as "gravel" in Poland is a mix of asphalt, bad quality gravel and mild offroad (including sand). There was a time when I could complete a 104 km "gravel" group ride at a racing speed on my Vado 6.0!

Then...
I was riding my big Vado fast on a forest fire-road. The rear wheel slipped in the puddle and I crashed at the full speed. It did not cure me from my passion yet.
During the gravel ultramarathon, I tried to negotiate a speed bump on my Vado SL and unfortunately crashed at high speed onto the pavement, strongly hitting my helmeted head against the asphalt. I got a mild concussion. After sitting for 30 minutes on a bench accompanied by my "Guardian Angel" brother and two witnesses, I decided to continue the race, and have completed it.

Since...
Whenever I ride onto anything more rough than asphalt, I get the trauma revisiting me. I ride very slowly there, and am afraid. Nothing wrong about any e-bike, especially about the Vado SL that I made a gravel-worthy steed. It is the trauma.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, can non-Topeak panniers be used with this rack? Giant doesn't sell the fender-rack combo they have for the EX version. Also, do you know if SKS fenders that screw onto the forks be used here? Thiese may also be an option for the Tero.
Not sure, but they say "Also compatible with KLICKfix® / RackTime® Snapit 1.0 or Vario system bags. " so check to see if any of those work. Nothing to stop you from using a different plate on top I'd think.
Yes, disappointed that I couldn't buy the EX rack as well!
There's also a Thule rack that might fit the bill...
My buddy just got one for his Fathom E+2.
The Old Man Mountain rack is the most robust for rear suspension bikes, but a little more PITA to install.

For my Fathom hardtail I was using a Topeak Beam Rack...

But that doesn't work on full suspension so my son inherited it. I kept the bag for the Tetrarack.

All the spoke magnet does is time revolutions. One revolution, is one revolution of a spoke, at any circumference. Most systems allow for at least 5% +- adjustments in diameter for tire changes. I normally set wheel size at 12.5 inches with 28's and the limit at 45K and toss the magnet. I trust myself with gearing and cadence to know my speeds. I learned yesterday of a new summation of drivetrains. It is the number of how large a wheel would be on a penny-farthing bike for the same gearing and wheel size. A race bike might be 73. That is a wheel 73 inches tall for the fastest gear.

1691879190358.jpeg
1691879336229.jpeg

Ted...

I was an active gravel e-cyclist with my Vado and Vado SL, and I was even a club member. I could complete a 263 km gravel ultramarathon where I alternately rode the heavy Vado and the lightweight Vado SL (for the battery plan considerations). What we ride as "gravel" in Poland is a mix of asphalt, bad quality gravel and mild offroad (including sand). There was a time when I could complete a 104 km "gravel" group ride at a racing speed on my Vado 6.0!

Then...
I was riding my big Vado fast on a forest fire-road. The rear wheel slipped in the puddle and I crashed at the full speed. It did not cure me from my passion yet.
During the gravel ultramarathon, I tried to negotiate a speed bump on my Vado SL and unfortunately crashed at high speed onto the pavement, strongly hitting my helmeted head against the asphalt. I got a mild concussion. After sitting for 30 minutes on a bench accompanied by my "Guardian Angel" brother and two witnesses, I decided to continue the race, and have completed it.

Since...
Whenever I ride onto anything more rough than asphalt, I get the trauma revisiting me. I ride very slowly there, and am afraid. Nothing wrong about any e-bike, especially about the Vado SL that I made a gravel-worthy steed. It is the trauma.
Stefan,
Yikes, anyone who have had similar accidents would be suffering from some anxiety as well. Time will heal and you'll be charging down those gravel paths again soon.

Back