DIY; fix it yourself, today there is no reason to let it remain broken in the absence of a LBS

Reid

por exemple, and there is so much BIKE DIY info on YouTube today.

Not bike related. YOU related. You can fix all simple things, too.

We ride things made of wheels that operate by spinning smaller wheels.

In our minds and in actual fact these things spin because we made them to do so.

No broken ebike should ever defeat your need, your intent, to make it run like new again.

A pep talk.

Last edited:
por exemple, and there is so much BIKE DIY info on YouTube today.

Not bike related. YOU related. You can fix all simple things, too.

We ride things made of wheels that operate by spinning smaller wheels.

In our minds and in actual fact these things spin because we made them to do so.

No broken ebike should ever defeat your need, your intent, to make it run like new again.

A pep talk.
Tell me how to spec, order the right replacement, how to find it in the motor, and replace hall sensors.

Reid - nice theory, but the outcome will depend on the context.

Yes, it's operated by wheels spinning other wheels. Can you always locate, or make, or replace cogs in a hub or mid-drive? And then, what to do with a battery or controller - those wheels that make electrons and ions dance around are too darn small to my eyes :)...

Good news for DIY crowd is that very many ebikes qualifiy as a "kit bike", where components can be replaced one by one, at a reasonable cost. You can get the entire wheel with a hub laced into, or lace it themselves though the price difference can be minor. In the end, an entire kit with laced motor, controller and display will set you back ~$300 for a cheesy one, $700 for something better.

This is a lousy DIY video, but knowing nothing then, not knowing to not try,

I made it anyway; I encouraged myself to try to encourage people to do it themselves.

But, that was about the end of my DIY career and today there are thousands of truly capable instructors on YT.

Diana Tuggle
4 years ago
oh my gosh, thank you for this video -- single mom here with crank issues with my son's bike. we will do it together then he'll know too! happy biking!

J BONE
2 years agoThis guy has no idea what he doing. Metal shavings cause gray grease. Microscopically prob not clean. Wow. And why did ya take the other pedal off for. No need to. Worst bike repair video to date. Clear ya throat and go back to your day job please

William S
1 year ago
All techs should watch this as an excellent example of how to present a video tutorial. So many leave the camera running while they perform some tedious and repetitive action; also, using still shots as illustration is far superior to simply moving the video in closer. Narration stays on task the entire time with no inane digressions or gratuitous profanity. You'd think this would all come naturally, but apparently not. So, good work and thanks for posting.

Sergio Mendez
5 years ago
I'm "resto-modding" a mid '80's 12 speed huffy road bike. I never thought the nut was reversed threaded. Thank you so much for posting this video!

mansponge
8 years ago
my bike is all rusty i tried unscrewing that nut but it was rusted over and wouldn't budge i hit the end of the wrench with a hammer and it just bent i didn't think of trying to turn it the other way

TheDarkdude213
5 years ago
thanks for this video man, it turns out that my bmx has same cranks and locking s*it as your bike does

Jake Sauls
1 month ago
thanks very much for this video. i had to tear my bottom bracket down. turns out my right side bearings were shot. the ring was broke and the bearings were laying inside the frame. fixed it earlier this evening. never tore one down, but your video was extremely helpful

Basem Ibraheem
4 years ago
at the point you said Aaah but that , same thing . in between I you just blown my mind. cause if you were correct , I would die to know how did they do it :)

JackstandJohnny
7 years ago
Hello you, me again. Just letting you know I used your video's to rebuild the bottom bracket on my old Mongoose looptail. Went without a hitch thanks to you dude!

Last edited:
Back