D 500 wheel weight rating

rod

As a full figured guy, I was wondering whether the D 500 wheel could handle my weight (300+). I wrote Bionx to see what the 26" wheel could carry. They wrote back pretty quickly, saying it was rated for 290 lbs. He went on to say I would be risking axle damage exceeding that. My question is directed to any heavy riders using this wheel: have you had any issues?

I'm 240 and tow a Burley Travois typically loaded to a total weight on the bike of around 300 lbs. I've had no spoke or axle problems, but since the trailer attaches to the seat post rather than the rear axle (like a Bob) in addition to some of the weight rolling on the trailer wheels, maybe my experience doesn't apply. I have 26" wheels with 2" wide Marathon Plus for cushioning (the rear tire was very difficult to put on!) The rear wheel ride on my bike is pretty harsh- if you have a chance to ride something similar to the bike you will use, do try it before considering the kit. The D-series rear wheel is pretty heavy and makes for an uncomfortable ride on my bike without modifications. I don't know if a Thudbuster seat post would help much or not.

Last edited:
I'm 240 and tow a Burley Travois typically loaded to a total weight on the bike of about 300 lbs. I've had no spoke or axle problems, but since the trailer attaches to the seat post maybe my experience doesn't apply.
Thanks for your post. I do think your experience applies, as the hitch weight and rider weight are in the same plane in reference to the rear wheel. I'm looking at both the Bionx D500 and the Pedego Stretch. According to Pedego, the Stretch is rated for 400lbs (total of cargo and rider) over and above the weight of the bike. The big drawback to the Stretch is its weight - 85 lbs. So, if the drive system conks out, I'd be stuck pedalling not only my carcass, but also a hefty piece of dead machinery.

Demo it first! My bike weighs 48 lbs, but I was surprised by how heavy it feels. I bought it because I need a folding bike that can go where I go, but moving this thing around is strengthening my back...

Last edited:
Back