Como vs Vado- HELP!

@MAPC, just check the specs of your Vado at Specialized.com

Replacing the 40T chainring with the 48T one will make the bike use lower gears and it will be also easier for you to get onto high speed (if you do not live in hilly area, that would be good for you). But ask the Specialized LBS to do the work for you. Since Specialized use the 48T chainring in the Vado 5.0 and the EU 6.0, they will use a proper chanring and everything stays under the warranty.

I have owned 3 red vehicles, a Plymouth Arrow, a Nissan Hardbody and a Chevy S10. Neither were fast, in fact, 0-60 was measured with a calendar. My fastest car was cream/ white.
The interior was red, though.
View attachment 52717
But a red Plymouth Arrow would be faster than a white a white Plymouth Arrow...it's physics, or something 🤣

@MAPC, just check the specs of your Vado at Specialized.com

Replacing the 40T chainring with the 48T one will make the bike use lower gears and it will be also easier for you to get onto high speed (if you do not live in hilly area, that would be good for you). But ask the Specialized LBS to do the work for you. Since Specialized use the 48T chainring in the Vado 5.0 and the EU 6.0, they will use a proper chanring and everything stays under the warranty.
This is just my thinking, far from a verified fact.
Maybe there is a 44 tooth alternative from Specialized now. The new Vado SL has 44 tooth crank wheel that resembles the standard Vado crank parts.
First pic, standard Vado( from Specialized concept store UK. Couldn’t reach specialized.com US for a while)
1589815495867.jpeg

Next pic, Vado SL
1589815542775.jpeg

Edit
I understand that for a 28mph Vado the 48 tooth crank wheel ( vs 40 ) seems like a better choice.

Last edited:
This is just my thinking, far from a verified fact.
Maybe there is a 44 tooth alternative from Specialized now. The new Vado SL has 44 tooth crank wheel that resembles the standard Vado crank parts.
First pic, standard Vado( from Specialized concept store UK. Couldn’t reach specialized.com US for a while)
View attachment 52755

Next pic, Vado SL
View attachment 52756

Edit
I understand that for a 28mph Vado the 48 tooth crank wheel ( vs 40 ) seems like a better choice.
Our Vado 5s came with the 48t chain ring that can get these bikes up to 28mph on a flat run with the 90Nm torque motor. Very stable at these and faster (downhill) speeds.

MAPC - glad your Vado is just right for you. I am 390 miles in on mine (a 2020 3.0) and share your feelings. But about the saddle - the stock saddles on the USA Vado models are the same I believe. I found mine a bit hard and painful (I do wear proper biking undershorts) but I stuck with it to see if I'd "get in shape". After 100 miles I decided to try the stock wide, gel padded, spring saddle from my 20 year old Specialized Crossroads. Ahhh … perfect for my 15 mile hilly exercise rides. And, don't be put off with your Vado's battery removal and reinstallation. You'll get it - just listen for the click when you tap the top into place with the palm of your hand - a good firm tap. All Best!
I still have my Tailbones Serfas wide springy gel saddle from the 1990s when I rode a Crossroads. Plan to install it, along with a Kinekt post, when my “better than red” Dove Grey Vado 4.0 arrives.

I have never owned proper cycling garments of any kind. Am I really missing out on something there?

I have never owned proper cycling garments of any kind. Am I really missing out on something there?
That depends on personal experience and local climate but I don't like freezing in the winter, getting sweaty in the warm season, and my bum feels better in chamois shorts or bibs. Proper modern cycling clothes are lightweight, breathable (and warm in the winter). If I just pull a regular T-shirt on in the warm season, I'm getting sweaty instantly. The modern fabrics make you feel comfy at all times.

Last edited:
Our Vado 5s came with the 48t chain ring that can get these bikes up to 28mph on a flat run with the 90Nm torque motor. Very stable at these and faster (downhill) speeds.
The 48t chain ring is absolutely right for the 28mph Vados.
I too appreciate the Vado 5 stability even if I don’t reach 28mph. Mine is a EU 15.5mph bike. Don’t think I’ve been over 25mph going downhill.
I have a feeling that Specialized didn’t plan to sell Vados with 1.2 motors as 28mph bikes.
Edit.
Strange thing is that the EU 15.5mph Vado 5 is sold in with 48t chain ring. I had mine exchanged to 40t.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Specialized didn’t plan to sell Vados with 1.2 motors as 28mph bikes.
I agree. Yet, it works. Now, after the Specialized U.S. website works again, I can see the 4.0 gets the 40T and the 5.0 have got the 48T chainring.

Have you replaced the chainring yourself or via the LBS, @PaD?

I don’t want to make any modifications to the bike until I get to 200 miles so that I can really get a feeling for the bike before changing things out.

On my list of considerations are new saddle and the chain ring.

Just ordered a lock, about to order a saddle pack for small items (including the lock!)

I don’t want to make any modifications to the bike until I get to 200 miles so that I can really get a feeling for the bike before changing things out.

Just ordered a lock, about to order a saddle pack for small items (including the lock!)
So, your new lock fits in a saddle bag? Don't underestimate the value of a stout lock on an expensive bike, even if it's not Crimson...😆

So, where does your flat repair kit fit?

So, your new lock fits in a saddle bag? Don't underestimate the value of a stout lock on an expensive bike, even if it's not Crimson...😆
I don’t expect to need to lock my bike for more than short stays in very public and generally safe areas. Really just need a ‘cafe’ lock. If my needs change over time I will upgrade to a more aggressive ABUS.

Last edited:
I agree. Yet, it works. Now, after the Specialized U.S. website works again, I can see the 4.0 gets the 40T and the 5.0 have got the 48T chainring.

Have you replacedthe chainring yourself or via the LBS, @PaD?
I had the LBS replace it before delivery of my new bike in April last year. I had 40t on my previous Vado 4 so I was sure that’s how I wanted it. It works fine for me even if my bike now goes 28-29kph before motor cuts off.

Last edited:
I still have my Tailbones Serfas wide springy gel saddle from the 1990s when I rode a Crossroads. Plan to install it, along with a Kinekt post, when my “better than red” Dove Grey Vado 4.0 arrives.

Yes Phyz. Try your old Crossroads saddle - hope it works. BTW - my old Crossroads saddle is medium wide, gel packed and has springs. It rides on a compression spring post that was stock with the old bike. That old post weighs almost 2 times what the new Vado post weighs so I put the old saddle on the new post. Because the Vado tires have lots of volume and the front forks are sprung all is well. Now ... these Dove Grey vs Red Vado 4.0 rumblings here … seem to me to be answers without questions ... but fine points often get by me.

Now ... these Dove Grey vs Red Vado 4.0 rumblings here … seem to me to be answers without questions ... but fine points often get by me.
It's become a running joke, that I'm happy to stoke now and then, from when @MAPC was undecided about his bike and color selection. See the earlier posts for more...😎

Back