Como vs Vado- HELP!

Selle Royal eZone saddle?
I own one and am not quite happy with it. The saddle's nose is intentionally very short and I feel like I might fall forward from it. It is surprisingly hard. There is something wrong with that saddle I cannot describe; at least for me.

I owned a Specialized Roll with the Cup seat it was just ok and is designed for a upright seating position The Vado is more forward sport riding so the larger cup seat I do not think would be a good fit .

Here's a Brooks. Started out a light tan, darkens when you use neatsfoot oil.

IMG_0072.jpg

I am approaching 100 miles on my Vado and I think it is time to share my early observations. Was hoping to hit 100 this weekend but, alas, my plans for a ride yesterday were foiled so I am hovering at 90.

I'd normally structure a note like this as 'The Good' 'The Bad' and 'The Ugly'....but I cannot. I can only share 'The Good'. :)

COMO vs VADO:
No doubt at all that I made the right decision. I have NOT ONCE felt that it was too upright for me and given that reaction I know I would have found the Como too 'cruiser-like'.

CLASS 1 vs CLASS 3:
I DEFINITELY find myself over 20mph enough to know that a Class 1 would have left me wanting for more.

SPECIALIZED MARKETING LINE:
They hit the nail on the head with the 'It's you....only faster'. This is the perfect summation. The bike feels so natural- I don't 'feel like' I am on an eBike at all- other than I don't struggle to cruise along or wish that my ride was coming to an end. I feel like I am getting exercise, increasing my heart rate and enjoying the great outdoors.....but the Turbo makes it pleasant and fun.

MISTAKE MADE:
I never tried to remove and reinstall the battery while at the LBS when I picked it up....and now I am afraid to take it out for fear that I won't be able to get it back in (based on all that I have read about the 'trickiness' of the process). I will suck it up and do it sooner vs later I am sure! :)

IS THERE ANYTHING I'D LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT:
1- I am curious as to whether or not there are other riders who wish that there was at least one higher gear. I find that I never get below 8/9/10 and keep thinking I'd like to shift up from there.
2- I am trying to decide if I like the saddle or if I wish I could find a wider/more padded version. I thought about The Cup but not sure if it is suited for upright riding. Others are recommending Brooks B17 but I have a hard time imagining that something that hard will be comfortable. The stock saddle isn't bad, so I will likely 'ride it out' a bit.

COLOR:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Dove Gray. Yes- there are a lot of Crimson fans out there (and Crimson definitely looks sharp) but I could not be happier with the Dover Gray. Paint finish is fantastic.

TYPICAL RIDES:
My rides have been 5-15 miles, flat/moderate hills. My assist levels have stabilized at 190-195% (not sure that others typically see), and other than 1-2 hills (where I have toggled up to level 2 for 100 yards or so), I am always in level 1.

Well, I think that's all for now....more to follow as I get more familiar with 'Gropius'.

I am approaching 100 miles on my Vado and I think it is time to share my early observations. Was hoping to hit 100 this weekend but, alas, my plans for a ride yesterday were foiled so I am hovering at 90.

I'd normally structure a note like this as 'The Good' 'The Bad' and 'The Ugly'....but I cannot. I can only share 'The Good'. :)

COMO vs VADO:
No doubt at all that I made the right decision. I have NOT ONCE felt that it was too upright for me and given that reaction I know I would have found the Como too 'cruiser-like'.

CLASS 1 vs CLASS 3:
I DEFINITELY find myself over 20mph enough to know that a Class 1 would have left me wanting for more.

SPECIALIZED MARKETING LINE:
They hit the nail on the head with the 'It's you....only faster'. This is the perfect summation. The bike feels so natural- I don't 'feel like' I am on an eBike at all- other than I don't struggle to cruise along or wish that my ride was coming to an end. I feel like I am getting exercise, increasing my heart rate and enjoying the great outdoors.....but the Turbo makes it pleasant and fun.

MISTAKE MADE:
I never tried to remove and reinstall the battery while at the LBS when I picked it up....and now I am afraid to take it out for fear that I won't be able to get it back in (based on all that I have read about the 'trickiness' of the process). I will suck it up and do it sooner vs later I am sure! :)

IS THERE ANYTHING I'D LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT:
1- I am curious as to whether or not there are other riders who wish that there was at least one higher gear. I find that I never get below 8/9/10 and keep thinking I'd like to shift up from there.
2- I am trying to decide if I like the saddle or if I wish I could find a wider/more padded version. I thought about The Cup but not sure if it is suited for upright riding. Others are recommending Brooks B17 but I have a hard time imagining that something that hard will be comfortable. The stock saddle isn't bad, so I will likely 'ride it out' a bit.

COLOR:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Dove Gray. Yes- there are a lot of Crimson fans out there (and Crimson definitely looks sharp) but I could not be happier with the Dover Gray. Paint finish is fantastic.

TYPICAL RIDES:
My rides have been 5-15 miles, flat/moderate hills. My assist levels have stabilized at 190-195% (not sure that others typically see), and other than 1-2 hills (where I have toggled up to level 2 for 100 yards or so), I am always in level 1.

Well, I think that's all for now....more to follow as I get more familiar with 'Gropius'.
Bring that new machine of yours up here in the lower Sierras and you'll get a perspective on the gearing! 😉

@MAPC, is your chain-ring the 40T? There was a long discussion in the Turbo Vado/Como User Club about changing to the 48T.

I'm trying the Ergon ST Core Prime Men saddle but have to wait until I finally have got my Vado from the repair.

Battery: If you don't try removing and replacing it, you'll never know. I have no issues with the battery although I have to tell you Giant made the battery mounting far better than Specialized.

@MAPC, is your chain-ring the 40T? There was a long discussion in the Turbo Vado/Como User Club about changing to the 48T.

I'm trying the Ergon ST Core Prime Men saddle but have to wait until I finally have got my Vado from the repair.

Battery: If you don't try removing and replacing it, you'll never know. I have no issues with the battery although I have to tell you Giant made the battery mounting far better than Specialized.
Let me know what you think of the saddle and specifically what is better about it vs the Vado saddle.

OK- as I have mentioned before- I am a moron when it comes to things mechanical (hence my ultimate decision to only by from Big 3 and from a good LBS). Here is the question: how do I know which chain-ring I have?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot.

I have heard reports that the Crimson Vados are actually better hill climbers...🤣
...and certainly red bikes (like sports cars) go faster. :)

This caused me to think- I am a huge 'car guy' (explained in another post here) and have likely owned 50+ vehicles in my lifetime. Only 1 of them was red- and that was a Range Rover (Sport). All of my sports cars have been dark blue (M3, Boxster S), black (911S Targa), silver (Boxster S, 911), gray (Tesla Roadster) or BRG (MGB- my first car!). Also had a 2002tii that was Malaga but not sure if that counts as red or not. :)

...and certainly red bikes (like sports cars) go faster. :)

This caused me to think- I am a huge 'car guy' (explained in another post here) and have likely owned 50+ vehicles in my lifetime. Only 1 of them was red- and that was a Range Rover (Sport). All of my sports cars have been dark blue (M3, Boxster S), black (911S Targa), silver (Boxster S, 911), gray (Tesla Roadster) or BRG (MGB- my first car!). Also had a 2002tii that was Malaga but not sure if that counts as red or not. :)
I have owned 3 red vehicles, a Plymouth Arrow, a Nissan Hardbody and a Chevy S10. Neither were fast, in fact, 0-60 was measured with a calendar. My fastest car was cream/ white.
The interior was red, though.
C753C080-8262-4922-A399-B3C7441F8528.jpeg

Yes, I do trust that. :cool:

Here is the thread about the chainring:

Let me know what you think of the saddle and specifically what is better about it vs the Vado saddle.

MAPC - glad your Vado is just right for you. I am 390 miles in on mine (a 2020 3.0) and share your feelings. But about the saddle - the stock saddles on the USA Vado models are the same I believe. I found mine a bit hard and painful (I do wear proper biking undershorts) but I stuck with it to see if I'd "get in shape". After 100 miles I decided to try the stock wide, gel padded, spring saddle from my 20 year old Specialized Crossroads. Ahhh … perfect for my 15 mile hilly exercise rides. And, don't be put off with your Vado's battery removal and reinstallation. You'll get it - just listen for the click when you tap the top into place with the palm of your hand - a good firm tap. All Best!

MAPC - glad your Vado is just right for you. I am 390 miles in on mine (a 2020 3.0) and share your feelings. But about the saddle - the stock saddles on the USA Vado models are the same I believe. I found mine a bit hard and painful (I do wear proper biking undershorts) but I stuck with it to see if I'd "get in shape". After 100 miles I decided to try the stock wide, gel padded, spring saddle from my 20 year old Specialized Crossroads. Ahhh … perfect for my 15 mile hilly exercise rides. And, don't be put off with your Vado's battery removal and reinstallation. You'll get it - just listen for the click when you tap the top into place with the palm of your hand - a good firm tap. All Best!

Is that saddle anything like The Cup from the Como? I was considering that but others thought that it wasn’t right for the Vado ride position. I may also try a Brooks B17.

Is that saddle anything like The Cup from the Como? I was considering that but others thought that it wasn’t right for the Vado ride position. I may also try a Brooks B17.
I am not familiar with The Cup so cannot say. I believe my old Specialized gel pad spring saddle is a pretty common design. It looks just like this one but has Specialized Logo - upon close inspection I think they are exactly the same. Look here:

I used to have those iconic beautiful Brooks leather saddles on my Peugeot / Oscar Egg road bikes - many years ago when I was a "hard ass".
Those days are SO over!

Back