Como vs Vado- HELP!

That's so frustrating, MAPC! Let me tell you an anecdote.

When I got my Vado from the LBS, the guys there were all freaky because it was probably the first e-bike they had ever sold, the fast one innit :D When I left the store and started riding, I discovered the tyres were not inflated! I immediately came back and asked the technician if he hadn't forgotten doing something very basic. He went red in his face -- a professional indeed! Haha!

I'm still waiting for the TCD-W display conversion kit to be delivered to the LBS... I sympathise with you MAPC!

That's so frustrating, MAPC! Let me tell you an anecdote.

When I got my Vado from the LBS, the guys there were all freaky because it was probably the first e-bike they had ever sold, the fast one innit :D When I left the store and started riding, I discovered the tyres were not inflated! I immediately came back and asked the technician if he hadn't forgotten doing something very basic. He went red in his face -- a professional indeed! Haha!
I’ll be sure to check for air!

Be also tightening any loose bolts in the first phase MAPC. As lovely the Vados are, there are known weak points. Pay attention to the fender screws and especially to the kickstand bolt - they tend to go loose. (My brother has tightened the kickstand bolt with Loctite Blue). You also might ask the person at the LBS to check these 3 screws for you.

Thankfully, there is a fair amount on here about both bikes but I want to ask a more direct question about the differences between the two. My challenge is that I cannot find a place to sit on both of them between now and when their double rebate ends on Sunday.

I am on the fence about the two bikes- and, admittedly, some of my reasons may seem superficial and others may be more valid...but they are in my head regardless.

COMO:
+ generally speaking, I like upright vs forward bikes
+ less expensive (although not by a lot by the time I add a rack)
- no front suspension
- color is 'ok' not great

VADO:
+ I like the look of the bike more
+ better colors
+ front suspension
+ rack and better rear light
- will I find it too upright?

ME:
- not an experienced biker
- my current bike is an upright/hybrid Cannondale
- 6' tall, 225, 55 years old

TYPICAL RIDE:
mostly flat, small hills, will likely be 5-10 mile rides

Thoughts/comments from those who may have been able to demo both bikes?

MANY THANKS!

I am a 74 year old male- 5' 8", 200 lbs , have lead an active life and have always enjoyed a little biking (acoustic - maybe 40 miles a week). I am not a biking expert - just 10 to 15 mile exercise rides. At 70 my thigh strength began to wane as did my wife's. We bought a pair of Rad Mini Folders 3 years ago and they have been flawless. We just throw them in the back of our Outback and off to Chincoteague / Cape May / Maine mid coast for birding. (we live in N. Eastern CT) The Rads were so much fun that we found ourselves getting into pretty good shape. We live out in the country and have nice quiet hilly back roads right out the barn door so we looked into mid-drive step thru's. Vados and Comos rose to the top of our list. We bought the new 2020 Vado 3.0's and are very happy with them as country road exercise bikes. The Como's more upright geometry was tempting but it really is more of a beach / street cruiser set up. The Vado's geometry is better suited to hilly country roads and as we became more fit the more the forward positioning rewarded us with increased efficiency. The battery capacity, Shimano 9 speed and Brose motor are not as sophisticated as components of the Vado 4.0 and 5.0 but are excellent for our use. And at $2700 the 3.0 is a bargain for these old fitness riders.

I am a 74 year old male- 5' 8", 200 lbs , have lead an active life and have always enjoyed a little biking (acoustic - maybe 40 miles a week). I am not a biking expert - just 10 to 15 mile exercise rides. At 70 my thigh strength began to wane as did my wife's. We bought a pair of Rad Mini Folders 3 years ago and they have been flawless. We just throw them in the back of our Outback and off to Chincoteague / Cape May / Maine mid coast for birding. (we live in N. Eastern CT) The Rads were so much fun that we found ourselves getting into pretty good shape. We live out in the country and have nice quiet hilly back roads right out the barn door so we looked into mid-drive step thru's. Vados and Comos rose to the top of our list. We bought the new 2020 Vado 3.0's and are very happy with them as country road exercise bikes. The Como's more upright geometry was tempting but it really is more of a beach / street cruiser set up. The Vado's geometry is better suited to hilly country roads and as we became more fit the more the forward positioning rewarded us with increased efficiency. The battery capacity, Shimano 9 speed and Brose motor are not as sophisticated as components of the Vado 4.0 and 5.0 but are excellent for our use. And at $2700 the 3.0 is a bargain for these old fitness riders.
My wife and I are also in our 70's. A year ago we were test riding ebikes to replace the homemade ones we'd had for some years. It came down to the Como vs Vado. We bought 2 Vados for many of the same reasons you did. After a year, we're very happy with them. Today we're loading them on the car rack and going across town to do a loop ride that's very scenic, but would normally have a few too many cars for us. The roads are much quieter these days...

MAPC - sounds like you live near us - nice now but rain through to Saturday. I am heading out in a few minutes also. I read a lot here about many mods people are making to their Vados. I find that my 2020 V 3.0 is set up just right for this average strength 5'8" 200 lb 74 year old male.
My inseam is 31" so the step-thru model is a must and the factory settings in Mission Control are right on the money for hilly country roads.
Have a great ride!!

I don’t live hugely far from you... just did a thirty mile ride this morning and dropped my Giant off at our LBS to have the chain ring swapped out. Rain the next couple of days, sun and the right side of 70 degrees on Sunday! Enjoy that nice new bike.

Last edited:
I only had time to do the 4 mile ride back home from the LBS but what I can say so far is WOW. This sucker is fast. It was in turbo mode when I left the dealer (I had lowered it but then the dealer changed from metric to imperial and I didn't noticed that it was in level 3 when I got back on). I FLEW down the road without realizing that I was at 23-25mph practically instantly.

I dropped to level 1 assist for most of my ride home, popped up to level 2 for hills and never really went back up to level 3.

Can't wait to play with it on the weekend!

Will send a pic later today. 'Gropius' is safe in the house now (our garage is under construction and I didn't want it to be near the work crew!).

And I LOVE my color choice!

Last edited:
I'm happy with your happiness, @MAPC!
Now you're fully entitled to join the Club!

GROPIUS - great name. Old Walter built that wonderful house in Lincoln what? 80 years ago?? These Vado's (design wise) are somewhat in harmony with the Bauhaus movement aren't they? Purposeful, clean, uncluttered and expensive. Congrats on your Gropius MAPC and if you learn when Spring will actually arrive, please share.

I too am looking at getting either a Como or a Vado. Today in a phone call with a person at a local bike shop, he made the distinction that the Vado's geometry is more like a commuter/fitness bike, and the Como is more like a beach cruiser. He said that on the Como the rider sits more upright, and on the Vado the rider's back is a little more relaxed and would be more comfortable for longer rides (more than an hour, say). In looking at the pictures I see that the Como has handlebars that are a little higher than the seat, whereas on the Vado the handlebars and seat are more on less on a level. This makes me want the Vado.

However, I am concerned with the geometry of mounting the bike. Given the heavy weight of these bikes I hope I won't have to tip the bike over toward me and swing my leg over the seat to get on and off. The Como comes in a "low entry" geometry that looks like it should be fairly easy to put my leg through the opening, whereas the Vado comes in a "step thru" geometry where the opening where you put your leg looks higher up off the ground. I am in my 60s and due to some medical issues have reduced physical strength and flexibility (which is why I want an ebike; I have been a fairly serious road rider for decades). Does anyone have any comment on the comparison between these two, and can you comment on the step thru geometry of the Vado?

GROPIUS - great name. Old Walter built that wonderful house in Lincoln what? 80 years ago?? These Vado's (design wise) are somewhat in harmony with the Bauhaus movement aren't they? Purposeful, clean, uncluttered and expensive. Congrats on your Gropius MAPC and if you learn when Spring will actually arrive, please share.
When I was deciding on color, and many others on here (you know who you are!!) :) were trying to convince me to go Crimson, I commented that I am an architect and that the Dove Gray/Black combo looked very Bauhaus.....hence 'Gropius'. :)

Back