Como vs Vado- HELP!

I too am looking at getting either a Como or a Vado. Today in a phone call with a person at a local bike shop, he made the distinction that the Vado's geometry is more like a commuter/fitness bike, and the Como is more like a beach cruiser. He said that on the Como the rider sits more upright, and on the Vado the rider's back is a little more relaxed and would be more comfortable for longer rides (more than an hour, say). In looking at the pictures I see that the Como has handlebars that are a little higher than the seat, whereas on the Vado the handlebars and seat are more on less on a level. This makes me want the Vado.

However, I am concerned with the geometry of mounting the bike. Given the heavy weight of these bikes I hope I won't have to tip the bike over toward me and swing my leg over the seat to get on and off. The Como comes in a "low entry" geometry that looks like it should be fairly easy to put my leg through the opening, whereas the Vado comes in a "step thru" geometry where the opening where you put your leg looks higher up off the ground. I am in my 60s and due to some medical issues have reduced physical strength and flexibility (which is why I want an ebike; I have been a fairly serious road rider for decades). Does anyone have any comment on the comparison between these two, and can you comment on the step thru geometry of the Vado?
If you read through this thread, you will see that I, too, struggled between the Vado and Como. Your analysis is correct about the riding position. I felt that I 'wanted to want' the Vado but that the Como seemed safer. In the end, I challenged myself to get the Vado (which I do think is a better bike) and I don't think I will regret it. I REALLY enjoyed my 2 short rides today (less than 10 miles total). I don't find it too upright and I do think that going too 'cruiser' would have been a cop out (for me)....but I didn't have the 'leg over' issue that you are dealing with.

I was not looking at the step thru so I am not sure I can help you with that final decision. You should try them both. Both are GREAT bikes so, as others told me, neither is a bad decision.

I hope that this was even a little bit helpful.

Pic or it didn't happen 🤣
OK Stefan- as promised. LOVE the color. It is a REALLY sharp bike....and I can't believe how fast it is....and what it does for me on hills. I think someone on here said that it turned them into the Bionic Man on hills and I CONCUR!

Will take more pics in better natural light (overcast day today!) as soon as the weather breaks.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 403
@Joanne Corsano, I think I have a good answer for you.

I suffer from inadequate blood supply to the parts of my legs below the knees. So I indeed might have the problem to mount the Vado Step-Through. What I was doing when I just bought the bike was a little bit awkward procedure yet it worked. I was leaning the bike sideways towards me strongly and that let me lift my foot over the top tube. When I needed to get off the bike, I was stamping my right foot on the ground, leaning the bike sideways to the right hand side and it was enough to lift the right leg above the saddle.

Yet, I found two solutions, especially for getting off (which is harder). I bought a (30.9 mm diameter) dropper seat-post with external cable routing. When I intend to get off, I depress the lever on my handlebar:
  • If I'm still riding, the saddle slowly drops so much I can just sit on the saddle with both feet touching the ground when the bike has stopped;
  • If I have unexpectedly stopped the bike and am straddling the top tube, I depress the lever and push the saddle downwards with the other hand.
In both situations, the saddle is very low and I can get off the bike fairly easily.

What to do with getting on the bike though? Either you lean the bike towards you or... I was practising pulling my leg up and placing the foot on the table top. After very few practices, I'm able to throw my right leg over the top tube of the step-through frame.

I hope that helps.

1588202333873.png

See how the dropper seat-post works for me on my Step-Through Vado. I sit on the saddle while my both feet touch the ground.

OK Stefan- as promised. LOVE the color. It is a REALLY sharp bike....and I can't believe how fast it is....and what it does for me on hills. I think someone on here said that it turned them into the Bionic Man on hills and I CONCUR!

Will take more pics in better natural light (overcast day today!) as soon as the weather breaks.
I said "You are with Lance Armstrong pedalling together with you". I said "The Ferrari of e-bikes" :D

Besides, your Gropius story would fit this thread:

I too am looking at getting either a Como or a Vado. Today in a phone call with a person at a local bike shop, he made the distinction that the Vado's geometry is more like a commuter/fitness bike, and the Como is more like a beach cruiser. He said that on the Como the rider sits more upright, and on the Vado the rider's back is a little more relaxed and would be more comfortable for longer rides (more than an hour, say). In looking at the pictures I see that the Como has handlebars that are a little higher than the seat, whereas on the Vado the handlebars and seat are more on less on a level. This makes me want the Vado.

However, I am concerned with the geometry of mounting the bike. Given the heavy weight of these bikes I hope I won't have to tip the bike over toward me and swing my leg over the seat to get on and off. The Como comes in a "low entry" geometry that looks like it should be fairly easy to put my leg through the opening, whereas the Vado comes in a "step thru" geometry where the opening where you put your leg looks higher up off the ground. I am in my 60s and due to some medical issues have reduced physical strength and flexibility (which is why I want an ebike; I have been a fairly serious road rider for decades). Does anyone have any comment on the comparison between these two, and can you comment on the step thru geometry of the Vado?
1) I believe that the salesperson is generally correct in his description of the bikes' comparative geometry;
2) Don't let the photos of the bikes fool you. They are set up in such a way to look good for their photos. In getting the proper extension of your leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke you will have to adjust the seat height, and in the end the seat may be above, below or even with the handlebars;
3) Only you can determine whether you want a full diamond or a step thru frame based on your physical condition. However I will have to say that Specialized's design of the step thru frame looks like it will still provide good rigidity.

Gotta admit, it is a handsome color.

My wife could easily put her leg thru the"low entry" Como, but cannot with the "step thru" Vado. Like me, she leans her Vado over and swings her leg over the seat to mount the bike. A woman on a bike tour we did last summer brought her low entry Como. She mounted and dismounted by putting a leg through the frame. No tipping required.

We're both in our 70's with 'challenged' knees. The Vados are working out well for us, but giving them both a test ride is the way to go.

BTW - The Crimson color is highly recommended.

MAPC - sounds like you live near us - nice now but rain through to Saturday. I am heading out in a few minutes also. I read a lot here about many mods people are making to their Vados. I find that my 2020 V 3.0 is set up just right for this average strength 5'8" 200 lb 74 year old male.
My inseam is 31" so the step-thru model is a must and the factory settings in Mission Control are right on the money for hilly country roads.
Have a great ride!!
Curious- how long are your typical rides? How hilly? I am down on the coast so not as hilly as inland CT---but I am amazed at how the Vado helps me speed up the hills that I do have. It's magic! :)

FWIW I have a Como. The position is far from an extreme cruiser position. It is fairly upright but not that much. I am still leaning forward. I ride the bike 10 miles a day and I’m sure I could ride it much further with little discomfort. The more upright position puts more weight on the seat. I added a Thudbuster ST seatpost that adds just enough shock protection. I broke my back 35 years ago and ever since I’ve tended to raise my handlebars a bit above my seat. If I had bought a Vado I would have raised the stem. my main point is that the cruiserish nature of the Como is overstated.

Will send a pic later today. 'Gropius' is safe in the house now (our garage is under construction and I didn't want it to be near the work crew!).

And I LOVE my color choice!
1. Did we ever get that pic? [ETA: looks like we did, but my browser was hiding it with "There are more posts to display. View them?"]

2. Wait time from order to delivery?

FWIW I have a Como. The position is far from an extreme cruiser position. It is fairly upright but not that much. I am still leaning forward. I ride the bike 10 miles a day and I’m sure I could ride it much further with little discomfort. The more upright position puts more weight on the seat. I added a Thudbuster ST seatpost that adds just enough shock protection. I broke my back 35 years ago and ever since I’ve tended to raise my handlebars a bit above my seat. If I had bought a Vado I would have raised the stem. my main point is that the cruiserish nature of the Como is overstated.
I agree with you- cruiser is definitely misstated. It is upright, but not in a way where you feel like you are ‘sitting back’ as is the case with most true ‘cruisers’.
My take: the Como is ‘to the right’ of cruiser’ and the Vado is ‘to the left of upright’. Neither is extreme, but they are different. Both are great choices.

Last edited:
1. Did we ever get that pic? [ETA: looks like we did, but my browser was hiding it with "There are more posts to display. View them?"]

2. Wait time from order to delivery?
Ordered on Sunday April 19
They placed the order Monday April 20
Arrived to LBS Tuesday April 28
Prepped and ready for me Wednesday April 29

Note that my LBS is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so could have been maybe 1 day sooner if they were open 7 days.

They advised be 7-10 days and they were spot on.

Last edited:

Congrats on your new bike. No matter what the color you can see the attention to detail and quality. I just feel sorry for those that looked a gift horse in the mouth and didn't pull the trigger while these were on sale.

Congrats on your new bike. No matter what the color you can see the attention to detail and quality. I just feel sorry for those that looked a gift horse in the mouth and didn't pull the trigger while these were on sale.
Agreed. The build quality and the paint quality is impressive. The deal, with the rebate, was incredible.
And I LOVE the color! ;)

With my good sense of the obvious I figured you were an architect. I am not an architect but am an admirer of your trade. I have rebuilt 5 houses of the 18th century and as best I could and keeping within code(s) made them as close to original as possible. On the other hand I love the Bauhaus, Falling Water type of early modern work. These opposite ends of the residential architectural periods are interesting to me. The stuff in between is just that - stuff. Design, quality and purpose snob? Yes. Vado, yes.

Curious- how long are your typical rides? How hilly? I am down on the coast so not as hilly as inland CT---but I am amazed at how the Vado helps me speed up the hills that I do have. It's magic! :)
MAPC - My usual ride is 13 country back road miles and it has a couple of very steep hills. Turbo and low gear gets me up them with no problems albeit slow. On medium hills Turbo and gear 4 or 5 I shoot right up at 8 to 12 mph. Mine is a 2020 Vado 3.0 and now that I've passed 250 miles I am "molded in" and feel no real pain whatsoever. I bought a pair of Specialized fingerless padded riding gloves and they make a big difference for wrist comfort.- the grips on the bike are somewhat slender and the gloves spread the downward pressure more efficiently across the whole mass of my closed hand. And I replaced the saddle with a gel padded one off of my wife's old Specialized cross bike. All's well. Thanks for asking.

I bought a pair of Specialized fingerless padded riding gloves and they make a big difference for wrist comfort.- the grips on the bike are somewhat slender and the gloves spread the downward pressure more efficiently across the whole mass of my closed hand. And I replaced the saddle with a gel padded one off of my wife's old Specialized cross bike. All's well. Thanks for asking.
I liked the Specialized ergonomic grips but gave them away to my brother and bought the Ergon GP3. Feel solid, comfy, thick and the little horns allow changing hand position on longer rides. It is also doable to stand the bike upside down on the horns without breaking the display. The fingerless padded gloves are the must for me. I chose the top-end CHIBA German ones. I'm still experimenting with saddles.

Does anyone have experience with wither the Specialized Cup saddle on the Vado or the Selle Royal eZone saddle?

Also- I appreciate the tips re the gloves. I hadn’t said anything yet but there is definitely some pressure on the wrist after about 10 miles. Seemed to me to be about the angle that my hand is in when holding the grips. Pressure is actually more ‘top’ of the hand than actually at the wrist though.

Back