Como vs Vado- HELP!

I am approaching 100 miles on my Vado and I think it is time to share my early observations. Was hoping to hit 100 this weekend but, alas, my plans for a ride yesterday were foiled so I am hovering at 90.

I'd normally structure a note like this as 'The Good' 'The Bad' and 'The Ugly'....but I cannot. I can only share 'The Good'. :)

COMO vs VADO:
No doubt at all that I made the right decision. I have NOT ONCE felt that it was too upright for me and given that reaction I know I would have found the Como too 'cruiser-like'.

CLASS 1 vs CLASS 3:
I DEFINITELY find myself over 20mph enough to know that a Class 1 would have left me wanting for more.

SPECIALIZED MARKETING LINE:
They hit the nail on the head with the 'It's you....only faster'. This is the perfect summation. The bike feels so natural- I don't 'feel like' I am on an eBike at all- other than I don't struggle to cruise along or wish that my ride was coming to an end. I feel like I am getting exercise, increasing my heart rate and enjoying the great outdoors.....but the Turbo makes it pleasant and fun.

MISTAKE MADE:
I never tried to remove and reinstall the battery while at the LBS when I picked it up....and now I am afraid to take it out for fear that I won't be able to get it back in (based on all that I have read about the 'trickiness' of the process). I will suck it up and do it sooner vs later I am sure! :)

IS THERE ANYTHING I'D LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT:
1- I am curious as to whether or not there are other riders who wish that there was at least one higher gear. I find that I never get below 8/9/10 and keep thinking I'd like to shift up from there.
2- I am trying to decide if I like the saddle or if I wish I could find a wider/more padded version. I thought about The Cup but not sure if it is suited for upright riding. Others are recommending Brooks B17 but I have a hard time imagining that something that hard will be comfortable. The stock saddle isn't bad, so I will likely 'ride it out' a bit.

COLOR:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Dove Gray. Yes- there are a lot of Crimson fans out there (and Crimson definitely looks sharp) but I could not be happier with the Dove Gray. Paint finish is fantastic.

TYPICAL RIDES:
My rides have been 5-15 miles, flat/moderate hills. My assist levels have stabilized at 190-195% (not sure that others typically see), and other than 1-2 hills (where I have toggled up to level 2 for 100 yards or so), I am always in level 1.

Well, I think that's all for now....more to follow as I get more familiar with 'Gropius'.

Just thought I'd post a quick update- at about 125 miles:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this BIKE! It is amazing how smooth and natural it feels

1. I have given up on changing the chain ring....at least for now. My LBS is not giving me a lot of confidence in making the change, finding the parts, etc. and I am just not knowledgeable enough to deal with it on my own.
2. I am waiting on changing out the saddle until I can go into an LBS in person to try some
3. I ordered a racktime basket for the rear rack as I like using the bike for errands and am tired be being limited to my small backpack....but they sent the wrong part (they sent me a rack and not a basket- replace I'll be here by end of week)

PS- and, needless to say, the DOVE GRAY continues to look AWESOME (and clearly better than Crimson!). :)

Last edited:
I think the diff for me will be comments (like yours above) re the riding position. If it doesn't feel overly forward, I would default to the Vado.

I think this is a good call, as the Vado seemed to me the more versatile of the two—it’s easier to ride the more capable bike casually than it is the other way around.
In any case, choose the frame size that best fits your desired position and you’re good to go.

Just thought I'd post a quick update- at about 125 miles:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this BIKE! It is amazing how smooth and natural it feels

1. I have given up on changing the chain ring...and on my own.... I am waiting on changing out the saddle until I can go into an LBS in person to try some

PS- and, needless to say, the DOVE GRAY continues to look AWESOME (and clearly better than Crimson!). :)
Wisely chosen. Has Stefan welcomed you to the club yet?

Received my Specialized rebate card today. Now what to spend it on.....

;)
I'm sure a repaint to the new Rocket Red color would be covered...😎

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously, I'm a big fan of my Ergon grips, Ortlieb panniers, Cycleaware helmet mounted mirror, Shimano PD-EH500 SPD dual platform pedals, GUB Phone Mount, Specialized MIPS helmet, etc.

Spare batteries are now becoming available, again...😀

I'm sure a repaint to the new Rocket Red color would be covered...😎

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously, I'm a big fan of my Ergon grips, Ortlieb panniers, Cycleaware helmet mounted mirror, Shimano PD-EH500 SPD dual platform pedals, GUB Phone Mount, Specialized MIPS helmet, etc.

Spare batteries are now becoming available, again...😀
I think i am going to use (most of) it to mentally defray the cost since I o era lent my bike budget by quite a bit to get the Vado.

Maybe a new saddle and/or seatpost though.

I don’t feel a need for another battery as i don’t see myself doing any rides. Time will tell, I suppose.

I think i am going to use (most of) it to mentally defray the cost since I o era lent my bike budget by quite a bit to get the Vado.

Maybe a new saddle and/or seatpost though.

I don’t feel a need for another battery as i don’t see myself doing any rides. Time will tell, I suppose.
My feeling is "If I have to buy anorher battery, that's a good problem to have ... it means I'm in good enough shape to outlast the battery "

My wife suggests using your rebate card to buy another Vado for your wife! I just bought two to get through the pain as fast as possible...😎
We have his-n-hers Haibike Trekking 7.0's instead (de-restricted as of yesterday :) ).

When we go out on our faster conditioning rides, we clip in and I take the Vado while she rides her FLX Roadster SE (which was originally my bike until she took it for a test ride, came back with a big grin on her face and just said "Mine").

It is so enjoyable to have pairs of bikes with similar capabilities when you ride together.

We have his-n-hers Haibike Trekking 7.0's instead (de-restricted as of yesterday :) ).

When we go out on our faster conditioning rides, we clip in and I take the Vado while she rides her FLX Roadster SE (which was originally my bike until she took it for a test ride, came back with a big grin on her face and just said "Mine").

It is so enjoyable to have pairs of bikes with similar capabilities when you ride together.
My wife and I shared a beautiful ride on our Vados this afternoon through 20 miles of local back roads to have a last beer (or two) with a couple we've known for 25 years. They're moving way out of state. Wonderful ride, some fun but sad beers. We're driving them to the airport in 2 weeks. Just enough time for a few more beers together...😔

Kinekt 2.1 and 3.1 (carbon) are available on the Selle Anatomica site for the same prices available everywhere else... except Selle Anatomica currently offers 25% off with the code available on their home page. Just sayin'
Would i likely want the shorter or taller version? Hard to know as I’ve never replaced a seat post before

Back