Como vs Vado- HELP!

MAPC

Thankfully, there is a fair amount on here about both bikes but I want to ask a more direct question about the differences between the two. My challenge is that I cannot find a place to sit on both of them between now and when their double rebate ends on Sunday.

I am on the fence about the two bikes- and, admittedly, some of my reasons may seem superficial and others may be more valid...but they are in my head regardless.

COMO:
+ generally speaking, I like upright vs forward bikes
+ less expensive (although not by a lot by the time I add a rack)
- no front suspension
- color is 'ok' not great

VADO:
+ I like the look of the bike more
+ better colors
+ front suspension
+ rack and better rear light
- will I find it too upright?

ME:
- not an experienced biker
- my current bike is an upright/hybrid Cannondale
- 6' tall, 225, 55 years old

TYPICAL RIDE:
mostly flat, small hills, will likely be 5-10 mile rides

Thoughts/comments from those who may have been able to demo both bikes?

MANY THANKS!

Last edited:
Just a couple of quick thoughts:

The Vado 4.0 which I just got does have a somewhat forward riding position for me (6'4" tall, XL sized frame). For me to get full leg extension for efficient pedaling the seat is definitely higher than the bars, therefore my weight is forward and on my wrists. Riser stems can resolve this to some degree.
Vado 4.0 does come with front suspension.
The Vado 4.0 comes with a rack, so I'm not sure about "although not a lot by the time I add a rack". Unless you are talking about adding a front rack, as comes on the Como 5.0 (but that Como model is a lot more expensive)?

Perhaps I am unclear on your pluses and minuses as these may be based on the specific Vado and Como models you are comparing.

Como definitely seems to have a more relaxed, upright riding position (but this will be a little less efficient if you are trying to get somewhere quickly).

In the end, both are excellent bikes with great customer support through the local shop and Specialized.

I should have stated that I was looking at the 4.0's.

FURTHER....filed under the category of 'I am an idiot'....I switched the comments on Vado and Como. See corrected version above- it will make much more sense now.

Just took delivery of a 2020 Vado 4.0 and have ridden a Como 3.0 a few times.

Both are super fun and handle with ease
Both are silky smooth with the assist
I preferred the Vado for riding in town traffic; though it's still capable of a 'leisurely' ride.
The riding position (for me at least.. I'm 6'-0" 190lbs 51) is not so drastic that I feel stressed on either frame.
Racks are super easy to install and really inconsequential at this price point if you had to add one.
I do like having the front suspension of the Vado; it's not much but does help on rough terrain.

Just took delivery of a 2020 Vado 4.0 and have ridden a Como 3.0 a few times.

Both are super fun and handle with ease
Both are silky smooth with the assist
I preferred the Vado for riding in town traffic; though it's still capable of a 'leisurely' ride.
The riding position (for me at least.. I'm 6'-0" 190lbs 51) is not so drastic that I feel stressed on either frame.
Racks are super easy to install and really inconsequential at this price point if you had to add one.
I do like having the front suspension of the Vado; it's not much but does help on rough terrain.
I think the diff for me will be comments (like yours above) re the riding position. If it doesn't feel overly forward, I would default to the Vado.

My wife recently test rode both bikes. The Como's riding position is very upright and my wife found the ride very comfortable, even without a front suspension, due to its larger tires.
My wife preferred the Como, by a slight margin, over the Vado because she really like how nicely the bike rode, although she liked the Vado's riding position more and thought it might be better for longer rides.
On thing I can't understand is why Specialized would put such a useless rack on their Vado 4.0.

My wife recently test rode both bikes. The Como's riding position is very upright and my wife found the ride very comfortable, even without a front suspension, due to its larger tires.
My wife preferred the Como, by a slight margin, over the Vado because she really like how nicely the bike rode, although she liked the Vado's riding position more and thought it might be better for longer rides.
On thing I can't understand is why Specialized would put such a useless rack on their Vado 4.0.
Did she find the position on the Vado to be slightly more forward or substantially more forward?

I’m super happy with the rack: been using the large bask-it from racktime for quick shopping trips. Panniers on order.

@MAPC,

The riding position in the Vado is definitely forward. As I wanted the Vado but can't ride leaned forward, I soon added a standard A-HEAD 3" stem riser:

1587148293652.png

That steering tube's extension changed my position to more upright one. Not totally upright but it gives me a nice weight distribution between the saddle and the handlebars.

Generally, the Vado is more popular than the Como. Regarding the Vado rear-rack, I find it extremely useful and typically ride with two Ortlieb panniers (QL2.1 system). No need for Racktime accessories if you don't need them.

Thankfully, there is a fair amount on here about both bikes but I want to ask a more direct question about the differences between the two. My challenge is that I cannot find a place to sit on both of them between now and when their double rebate ends on Sunday.

I am on the fence about the two bikes- and, admittedly, some of my reasons may seem superficial and others may be more valid...but they are in my head regardless.

COMO:
+ generally speaking, I like upright vs forward bikes
+ less expensive (although not by a lot by the time I add a rack)
- no front suspension
- color is 'ok' not great

VADO:
+ I like the look of the bike more
+ better colors
+ front suspension
+ rack and better rear light
- will I find it too upright?

ME:
- not an experienced biker
- my current bike is an upright/hybrid Cannondale
- 6' tall, 225, 55 years old

TYPICAL RIDE:
mostly flat, small hills, will likely be 5-10 mile rides

Thoughts/comments from those who may have been able to demo both bikes?

MANY THANKS!
What model Cannondale do you ride? My wife & I ride Cannondale Quick mechanicals. I find the fit between my men's large Quick and the men's medium Vado be quite comparable.

We test rode both the Como and Vado. We chose the Vado as it was closest to our Quicks. My wife changed the Vado saddle to her preferred women's WTB saddle. I'm not sure what the options are for the Como saddle as it is custom for the Como ride position.

After 11 months the Vados were the right choice for us.

My wife has a 2019 Como and I have a 2020 Vado 3.
The equipment spec seems identical on both, the only difference is the riding position. The Como is more upright and "arm chair" like. Where as the Vado riding position is more forward.
I would choose the Como for a gentle potter around leafy lanes and choose the Vado to do a decent journey.

My wife has a 2019 Como and I have a 2020 Vado 3.
The equipment spec seems identical on both, the only difference is the riding position. The Como is more upright and "arm chair" like. Where as the Vado riding position is more forward.
I would choose the Como for a gentle potter around leafy lanes and choose the Vado to do a decent journey.
Thanks. I think this is probably convincing me to go Como but for some reason I want to talk myself into Vado.

Any other thoughts/observations? Double rebate ends this weekend so I have to decide ASAP.

I debated and got the Como. I was afraid I’d find the Vado too uncomfortable. Because the bike is fairly upright there is not much weight on the front wheel so I prefer the rigid fork for lighter weight and simplicity. However I am adding a Thudbuster ST seatpost because bumps on the road are rough on my butt. I also added a rack and switched out the pedals. Now that I’ve ridden the bike a few days I am 100% certain that for me the Como was the right choice over the Vado. The position is upright but not overwhelmingly so. I do find the bars a little wide so I might cut them or get different bars. No matter my intentions when I buy I always end up making modifications.

I debated and got the Como. I was afraid I’d find the Vado too uncomfortable. Because the bike is fairly upright there is not much weight on the front wheel so I prefer the rigid fork for lighter weight and simplicity. However I am adding a Thudbuster ST seatpost because bumps on the road are rough on my butt. I also added a rack and switched out the pedals. Now that I’ve ridden the bike a few days I am 100% certain that for me the Como was the right choice over the Vado. The position is upright but not overwhelmingly so. I do find the bars a little wide so I might cut them or get different bars. No matter my intentions when I buy I always end up making modifications.
What I am learning from all of the great responses here is that I REALLY wish I could ride them back to back. Sadly, no one has them locally and going farther afield to find them isn't an option during C19. :(

With the double rebate, I need to decide this weekend or they will be back to being substantially out of my budget (I really wanted to be under $2K for my first eBike but was willing to push the envelope with the double rebate in place to get something as well built/well designed/well supported as the Vado and Como.

Last edited:
Get the Vado and never look back.

Or, alternately, get the Como and never look back. ;)

Sorry, no real further help from me (I've not ridden a Como), but they are both very good bikes and you will likely enjoy the heck out of whichever one you pick. The worst thing would be to miss the sale, or have so much "analysis paralysis" that you have nothing and miss out on good riding days!

Get the Vado and never look back.

Or, alternately, get the Como and never look back. ;)

Sorry, no real further help from me (I've not ridden a Como), but they are both very good bikes and you will likely enjoy the heck out of whichever one you pick. The worst thing would be to miss the sale, or have so much "analysis paralysis" that you have nothing and miss out on good riding days!
I have never been guilty of analysis paralysis (resulting in not pulling a trigger) but definitely guilty of overthinking.
My fear with the Vado is that it will feel too aggressive. But my fear with the Como is that it will feel to laid back. Uggh...

I go back and forth but slightly edging to Vado (reluctantly admitting it is in part due to color, looks and suspension fork)

Well, maybe one more thought.

With the Vado you might give up some comfort, and gain some efficiency.

With the Como you give up some efficiency and gain some comfort.

With some fairly inexpensive revisions to the Vado (taller stem, suspension seatpost), maybe even change to a more comfortable seat. But you can fairly easily gain back some comfort at the sake of a little efficiency (little more upright = a bit more wind resistance), if it turns out to be uncomfortable to you.

With the Como I'm not seeing where you could easily make changes to gain the lost efficiency. You might be able to but it just seems like it would be more complicated.

And maybe the biggest point (I scanned this thread but didn't see it listed elsewhere): The Vado gives pedal assist to 28mph whereas the Como gives assist only to 20mph. 28mph assist is a bit like e-bike crack to me - 20mph bikes make me yawn now, unless just putting around the neighborhood with friends and family. Sorry, this was wrong. I was looking at Como 3.0.

I have never been guilty of analysis paralysis (resulting in not pulling a trigger) but definitely guilty of overthinking.
My fear with the Vado is that it will feel too aggressive. But my fear with the Como is that it will feel to laid back. Uggh...

I go back and forth but slightly edging to Vado (reluctantly admitting it is in part due to color, looks and suspension fork)

you’ll not regret either, but ask yourself : what does a normal ride look like? Perhaps that will push one over the other?

Back