Como vs Vado- HELP!

Normal ride will be fairly leisurely. I think what I am coming down to is that I WANT the Vado but should probably get the Como.

Normal ride will be fairly leisurely. I think what I am coming down to is that I WANT the Vado but should probably get the Como.
I have a Vado and have never ridden a Como so my opinions are useless except as they apply to me so will offer an observation. It seems the Como may better suit (suspect both would) your current expected ride type.

What you may want to consider, however, is that the e bike advantages may inspire you to take longer rides over different terrain so would the Vado be better in the long run? Only you can answer that and probably not until you have been riding either so I may have made your decision harder and, for that, I apologize!

I have a Vado and have never ridden a Como so my opinions are useless except as they apply to me so will offer an observation. It seems the Como may better suit (suspect both would) your current expected ride type.

What you may want to consider, however, is that the e bike advantages may inspire you to take longer rides over different terrain so would the Vado be better in the long run? Only you can answer that and probably not until you have been riding either so I may have made your decision harder and, for that, I apologize!
That’s exactly my thought/concern—is that over time the Como will be more limiting if I find that I really get into biking more frequently.

Always hard to try to predict the future and, absent riding both it is very tough. If you think you will stick to paved surfaces with moderate hills, both would seem to suit. If you think you might want to explore hillier areas and some easy unpaved surfaces, the Vado might give you an edge. If the more aggressive riding position is a concern, you can always do some adjusting with higher stem or, up to a point, with handlebars with more rise.

MAPC, take the Vado. Your appetite for longer (and fast) rides will grow. Before I got ill, I rarely rode more than 25 miles on a traditional bike. When I got ill, I could not make more than 13 miles. With the Vado, I was able to make fast 28 mile rides almost every day disregarding the weather (November till this day). But it was not enough. I bought the spare battery and now am making 40, 45, and 50 mile rides with ocassional metric centuries.

The only thing I didn't like in the Vado was the forward riding position, which I changed after just couple of days of riding with an inexpensive stem riser.

My LBS also sells Trek and he said that I should sit on the Verve Mens and the Verve Womens- that the Mens sits like the Vado and the Woman Sits like the Como. From a quick look at geometries online, that seems plausible so I am heading over there shortly to check them out--not to buy a Trek but to see which ride position I prefer.

MAPC, take the Vado. Your appetite for longer (and fast) rides will grow. Before I got ill, I rarely rode more than 25 miles on a traditional bike. When I got ill, I could not make more than 13 miles. With the Vado, I was able to make fast 28 mile rides almost every day disregarding the weather (November till this day). But it was not enough. I bought the spare battery and now am making 40, 45, and 50 mile rides with ocassional metric centuries.

The only thing I didn't like in the Vado was the forward riding position, which I changed after just couple of days of riding with an inexpensive stem riser.
Which riser did you install?

Please look up the Internet (or just Amazon) for "Stem riser for A-HEAD stems". It is a standard bicycle part for MTB. The tallest that fits the Vado is 3" or 75 mm.

I am on an 45 mile ride now.

I tried both at my LBS. I liked the Como as it was very comfortable but pick the Vado as I was use to that riding angle and wanted to be able to ride trails beside paved paths. I was a bit worried about leaning on my wrist as my right wrist is fused and does not bend but have not found it a problem. So far my longest rides was 30 miles without any issues though a may want to raise the bars at some point. Good luck in your decission as both bikes are great.

I am probably leaning toward the Como at this point...but still not 100%. I have until tomorrow to decide before the rebate goes away.

You must be a riot at picking a vacation spot :)

Get the best bike that you can reasonably afford, which is the Vado. At Stefan notes, your riding style will change. You will find yourself doing more aggressive (fun) and varied riding than you expect once you get used to it. The various ride threads here prove that again and again.

Go get em, and have a blast. And welcome to the club.

There’s a post elsewhere from Ready To Ride with a pic of her brand new burgundy Vado. Now that is a nice looking rig!

Obviously - I hope - I was kidding about choices, but the part of evolving ride styles is super true. It took me three progressively better bikes before I arrived at the right setup for what turned out to be my favorite riding, which was a hell of a lot more adventurous than I thought it would be three years ago. Hence the Buy The Best statement.

Or you could go the Alaskan route and Buy Them All :). That works too!

2020 Vado 4.0

Attachments

• 371D9AD1-953E-46A9-BC14-ABA7F4689754.jpeg
    371D9AD1-953E-46A9-BC14-ABA7F4689754.jpeg
    943.9 KB · Views: 376
There’s a post elsewhere from Ready To Ride with a pic of her brand new burgundy Vado. Now that is a nice looking rig!

Obviously - I hope - I was kidding about choices, but the part of evolving ride styles is super true. It took me three progressively better bikes before I arrived at the right setup for what turned out to be my favorite riding, which was a hell of a lot more adventurous than I thought it would be three years ago. Hence the Buy The Best statement.

I don’t have them all but I do have the trifecta of Vado, Levo and Creo!

Maybe the Vado with stem riser and cushier seat.....hmmm...

I am someone who always makes modifications to any bike so there is nothing wrong with that. But if you are buying the Vado with plans to put on a significant stem riser would you not be better off with a Como that puts you in that sitting position and is designed all round for that. Ultimately the best bike is the one you are most comfortable on. But for some people the right color is what makes them comfortable. If you put a 3 inch riser on a Vado it will be as unaerodynamic as a Como. Aerodynamics matter very little on a electric bike if you think about it.

Something else to muddy the waters, so to speak...

I have read in this forum that the Como has plastic fenders that rattle. Can't say personally, but the metal fenders on the Vado do not rattle. And they do work very well. Rode up to friend's house a couple of days ago. There was still snow along the roadside and at his house. The snow melt running across the road was, at times, like riding through a shallow creek. I didn't get the least bit wet, and neither did the motor.

I am someone who always makes modifications to any bike so there is nothing wrong with that. But if you are buying the Vado with plans to put on a significant stem riser would you not be better off with a Como that puts you in that sitting position and is designed all round for that. Ultimately the best bike is the one you are most comfortable on. But for some people the right color is what makes them comfortable. If you put a 3 inch riser on a Vado it will be as unaerodynamic as a Como. Aerodynamics matter very little on a electric bike if you think about it.
Agree with your point. It isn’t the aerodynamics of the Vado that appeal to me- its the better fenders, the suspension fork, the rear light placement, the included rack and, yes (much as I hate to admit it) the colors.

Back