Changes to my RadRover

Hi Mr Gold... What bike stand do you use? I need to get one and I want to make sure it can hold the weight of the Rover.

I have the Bikehand Pro Mechanic Bike repair stand, Amazon, $90: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D9B7OKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also had to add the Feedback Sports Flop Stop Handlebar holder later, Amazon, $25: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F2W726/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The workstand is very light and it can hold my Radrover only at the lowest height setting. The heavy Radrover started to sink down to the lower setting when I tried to raise higher. I think the max weight is 55lbs and I've had around 70lbs on the rack with no problems (rack, full rack bag, water, battery, accessories). I have enough clearance on either side to work. You get a little front/back rocking movement if you are doing something like cleaning the chain. It holds the tail heavy Radrover steady and level even with the front tire removed. I haven't had any problems with side-to-side movement with the clamp when working. I've had it since Sept/16 and use it around 2-3 times a month with no issues.

The only downsides are:
- I'm exceeding the max weight limit; but, so far, so good.
- only two legs for stability. No problems yet with it tipping over or feeling unstable; but, higher potential of that compared to 3-4 leg designs
- Can be a little hard to handle the heavy Radrover to put on/off. It helps to strip as much weight off the Radrover. It also helps to stand on the legs of the rack to keep it from moving when mounting/dismounting the Radrover.

Radrover on stand doing tire maintenance. I have to sometimes pull out the goat head thorns out from the inside of the tires and some are even stuck in the Mr. Tuffy tire liners.
Black Radrover on stand.jpg

One thing about the bag mod was that while it looks great, I found the charging port a bit of a pain to get to. So I got a short right angle extension. That made charging so much easier. The cable actually came a little thicker than the pic on ebay. Here it is next to the Radrover's charging cable: 2017-05-04 17.11.02.jpg.

Here's an unrelated mod. I moved the LCD forward and lowered it. Got the idea from this post. I always thought the LCD sticks up a little high so I turned the bracket downwards and extended the mounting forward with a 1/8" plastic sheet cut to size and drilled 4 holes.
Here's how it looks: 2017-04-22 20.31.09.jpg2017-04-23 18.28.02.jpg .

The view on the LCD isn't blocked, even the bezel is barely blocked. Plus I could just change the angle if it was.

does anyone know if you can take off the derailluer on the radrover and replace it with a shimano deore deraillur??? my bike sucks at shifting it wont shift into first gear and to get into any gear like 4th i have to shift to 3rd gear to go to first for second and no first at all. please help if you have done this!

does anyone know if you can take off the derailluer on the radrover and replace it with a shimano deore deraillur??? my bike sucks at shifting it wont shift into first gear and to get into any gear like 4th i have to shift to 3rd gear to go to first for second and no first at all. please help if you have done this!

That is most likely an adjustment issue. Also, check by getting behind the bike and looking forward to see if the cage is bent.

I have two Radrovers and the rear derailleur can get out of adjustment. I have about +2600 miles between both of them since Sept/2016 and adjusted the rear derailleur about 4X between both bikes. I even had a bent derailleur from shipping that caused the chain to rub against the rear tire in the 3 lower gears (bent back by hand). I need to do the adjustment on the wife's RR because I go into top gear in 6th and sometimes it skips up 2 gears when I just want one. I end up with 2-step process of up-shifting once to go from 3rd to 5th and down-shifting once to select 4th.

I'm really thinking about looking into switching changing everything out to a 8 or 9 speed gear set. Mostly want the extra gears to increase the top speed to 25 mph without having to pedal like a crazy person with the current 7-speed. I just haven't done enough research to narrow down my choices.

Hi Mr Gold... What bike stand do you use? I need to get one and I want to make sure it can hold the weight of the Rover.
The stands on Amazon seemed a bit light weight for a 60 to 70 # bike. So I built one, from scraps in the shop. It's plenty sturdy for these bikes:

Attachments

• IMG_6216.JPG
    IMG_6216.JPG
    570.8 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_6215.JPG
    IMG_6215.JPG
    677.5 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_6213.JPG
    IMG_6213.JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 755
IMG_1065.JPG
Nice job on modification to the battery. I did mine today not that hard, just took my time. I decided not to cut the straps. Decided it's a good spot for a portable air pump. Thanks for the idea.

I have the white version, and there is definitely some sort of clear coat over the badging. I can't remove it at all..

I am getting ready to mine off. You just need to carefully use a razor blade and make a lite cut, following the decal. Then hair dryer and remove. After sand with about 800-1000 grit sandpaper. I will start with the 1000 wet sand. Will post some pictures when done. I stopped at the body shop down the street, and those were his instructions, or he can do it for me. But if I take it to him, I am confident I'll paint it with some pearl on top of the white, then pinstripe it. Think I'll try my self first, lol. But it Has to GO!!

Attachments

• IMG_0374_small.JPG
    IMG_0374_small.JPG
    561.5 KB · Views: 1,465
Are those the Vee Speedster 26x3.5s? If so, they look great... worried about ordering smaller than the stock 26x4 but those don't seem to look too small... (the hookworms at 2.8" look way too small)

Trying to decide between the 3.5" speedster and vee's other zig zag model that they do in 26x4

Back