Chain lock discussion wanted

TumaloTed

So, what thickness works OK for majority of theft protection? I'm looking at the Titanker bike chain @ 8mm & 2.5# (3.3ft) for $17 OR the 4 ft. Krptonite Keeper 712 at 7mm & 3.7# for $34. How many here have lost an ebike using these thickness of chains?? Prices at Amazon.

Depends where you are locking. I use a really heavy chain or 3 for locking to our trailer and use a magnetic lock. It can still be cut but takes time. On bike I use a light chain but still worth about $60. Sorry, I do not know the thickness but they were the best I could find.

That article pointed out something important that I had not considered:

" However, the chance of of your chain being cropped can be significantly reduced by keeping the chain as far off the ground as possible when you lock your bike. In order to crop a chain, the thief will need to use one arm of the bolt cutter against the ground as leverage. The further your lock is off the ground, the more difficult and less effective this will be."

My strategy after watching video of how easily they steal locked bikes became this: with a $200 USD budget for locking up, I'm going for a bunch of different locks cable and chain combos.
Got an Abus U-lock immediately for through the triangle or frame, to the rear wheel

I also ordered 3 from here because it was much less pricey than Canada gets...we'll see how that works out later.

I got 2 of these just in time, sold out now

I also bought 1 of these
OnGuard Pitbull Mini Standard Shackle U-Lock/Cable - 90mm x 140mm x 14mm

It's like $20 USD !

https://www.probikekit.ca/cycling-accessories/onguard-pitbull-mini-standard-shackle-u-lock-cable-90mm-x-140mm-x-14mm/11725528.html?utm_source=ecrm-dispatch-confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ecrm-dispatch-confirmation&affil=thgemail&ecrmcid=lX2YdBwJ6z5MQ2kAqZYrOq14KxDbGpjE&shae=nf3gRjQ96dTTdk3ZMgpQRp+LMuWQumVMgB0LGxD7FB4=&sendTime=1567575552

Add another cheap cable lock I already owned.

All to go in the pannier boxes if I'm going to lock it for more than 5 minutes. So far nobody has stopped me from walking my bike into stores like Walmart or Sportcheck or CanadianTire, that have bike supplies. :) And Home Despot, Lowes, etc.

Last edited:
Honestly an angle grinder will go through any of those locks like butter in less than 5 minutes. A good strategy is as many as you can, rather than the thickest. Best you can do is make it really annoying.

Chain locks, in my opinion, are the most popular approach to protect a bike against theft. +1 for the ABUS security square chain. The cover appears to be quite robust and of high quality. The mix of thickness, weight, strength, and size is a decent compromise for a somewhat secure bike lock.

Last edited:
I use a heavy chain and magnetic lock (keyed to my home lock) when my bike is on my truck or trailer, and two more. As to the heavy chain I asked the locksmith how hard it was to cut. He said, "I am going to tell you it can't be cut, and then go into the back and cut you a length on my grinder. But, a bold cutter is not going to work." It is all about slowing them down. I also ALWAYS lock my bike on my truck no matter how short my travel. There are stories here about bikes being snatched off trucks at stop lights. My brother drives and delivers cars for a living and he has often had his dealer plates whipped off at traffic lights.

IMHO anything under $50 is essentially worthless outside of very rural areas.
ideally you want multiple locking approaches working together, it’s all about relative difficulty to persuade would-be criminals to seek an easier target.

myself i am combining Kryptonite 14mm chains (forgettaboutit models) with mini U lock (fugettaboutit) for approx $200+ in locking solution with a motion-activated alarm to draw attention to anyone messing. also will use hexlox for certain allen bolts like stem and seat. i don’t live in a metro area and intend to rarely leave bike out of sight. but i’d personally be too nervous to leave the bike with only a $20 or $50 lock in it. ymmv.

I was out shopping today and in a mall parking lot saw 3 bikes on the rear of vehicles without locks. Trusting in Jesus I guess.

Back