Hunt For Men Wanted in E-Bike Robbery Spree. Police are searching for 2 men accused of throwing people off their bikes.

OK, looks like the thread went from a news article on assholes stealing ebikes to gun rights and shooting people.

Let's try to get it back on topic please.

I would recommend everyone have a good U lock and cable and an alarm for your ebikes.

You can get both on Amazon and this alarm comes highly rated and is what I have:

Wsdcam 113dB Bike Alarm Wireless Vibration Motion Sensor Waterproof Motorcycle Alarm with Remote​

That alarm would also work if someone throws you off your bike and you can hit the remote button and set off the alarm which might scare a thief in to dropping the ebike.

I recommend not riding at night in areas with high crime rates or unfamiliar territory. Same rules for not walking in those areas.

These criminals are targeting more expensive ebikes so keep that in mind.

My personal opinion, no ebike is worth getting killed or killing someone over. If they are trying to do you physical harm then you have the right to defend yourself any way you can but I would not recommend pulling a weapon over an ebike. You will shoot your eye out.

You can also get theft and accident insurance for ebikes and most plans are about $100 a year:

The 5 Best Electric Bike (EBike) Insurance Companies of 2021

https://www.treehugger.com/best-ebike-insurance-5087737

OK, looks like the thread went from a news article on assholes stealing ebikes to gun rights and shooting people.

Let's try to get it back on topic please.

I would recommend everyone have a good U lock and cable and an alarm for your ebikes.
Perhaps you didn’t closely watch the news report you’d posted - it’s not just a theft - it’s “violent brazen assaults” happening during robberies - throwing people off their bikes and holding them down. To the victims it’s also not just a bike, it’s their livelihood. It’s the same thing as a carjacking. Violent assault. Robbery. I’d have no qualms shooting them. Not a bit of guilt if they died either, which is likely if I hit the body mass around the sternum I’d be aiming for. I don’t care about the bike but I’m not going to standby while someone attempts to attack me and likely cause severe bodily harm. Although I’ve had extensive military training on weapons, in particular pistols for self defense in a Navy SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape) school, the NRA sponsored classes I’d taken as a civilian were quite thorough and gave me more than enough knowledge and confidence to arm myself when I’m in a public setting back home in 🇺🇸. If you have a concealed carry permit and no training on how to effectively use a concealed or open carry handgun that’s your own irresponsible behavior.

Lastly I’d never live in a State where such self defense isn’t a well defined and established right. George Zimmerman and Kyle Rittenhouse went through hell but they’re still alive. There’s lots of dead, innocent people in Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York because self defense is not an established norm.

Perhaps you didn’t closely watch the news report you’d posted - it’s not just a theft - it’s “violent brazen assaults” happening during robberies - throwing people off their bikes and holding them down. To the victims it’s also not just a bike, it’s their livelihood. It’s the same thing as a carjacking. Violent assault. Robbery. I’d have no qualms shooting them. Not a bit of guilt if they died either, which is likely if I hit the body mass around the sternum I’d be aiming for. I don’t care about the bike but I’m not going to standby while someone attempts to attack me and likely cause severe bodily harm. Although I’ve had extensive military training on weapons, in particular pistols for self defense in a Navy SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape) school, the NRA sponsored classes I’d taken as a civilian were quite thorough and gave me more than enough knowledge and confidence to arm myself when I’m in a public setting back home in 🇺🇸. If you have a concealed carry permit and no training on how to effectively use a concealed or open carry handgun that’s your own irresponsible behavior.

Lastly I’d never live in a State where such self defense isn’t a well defined and established right. George Zimmerman and Kyle Rittenhouse went through hell but they’re still alive. There’s lots of dead, innocent people in Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York because self defense is not an established norm.
Did Zimmerman's victim not also have a right to self defense? Remember, he's not the one who accosted Zimmerman. It was the other way around.

There was a NY Times Magazine article on this topic. It interviewed the victims and went into their hag outs and looked into their lives. Most of the delivery people work from apps as independent contractors, no benefits. The first to show will get priority that day. Sometimes they will need to go over two bridges and fifteen miles to deliver a sandwich without a tip. They cannot refuse or they get down listed. They are at constant worry of the threat of deportation and exploitation if they speak up. That is why most of these thefts go unreported and it is why these essential delivery people to the functioning of the city are being targeted. The thieves are not going after an heiress in Central Park because they know the ramifications of that. My electric bikes do not look like electric bikes to thugs. Sometimes will use a chainring as a chainguard, paint a motor, or I will even go to the effort of disguising the batteries.

Attachments

• BattNeye.JPG
    BattNeye.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Centurian4.JPG
    Centurian4.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 173
  • DutchA.JPG
    DutchA.JPG
    698.9 KB · Views: 166
Then you shouldn’t carry a handgun, concealed or open.
I think that was his, and my, point. Packing a gun on a ride not always a good plan. Easy call here too, that might be much more difficult if I were riding for a living. Being forced to make a call like that a damn shame really....

I am following up with a couple of thoughts. Those delivery workers are not allowed to use the restrooms in the restaurants they deliver for and the sucks. Not even an employee restroom while they wait for a pickup. They are not even allowed to wash their hands. Who knows where they go? Next. In the US we have un-amendable rights that go beyond the Constitution and its numbered, amendable amendments. Among these are rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness. Having some self-deputized vigil-anti with a firearm in public, is a threat to our public lives, our liberties and our pursuits. It is also a threat to Due Process when some armed jerk decides to be judge, juror and executioner based upon their own internal state of mind which no one else can control. Just as you cannot make someone laugh and are not responsible for their laughter, you are not accountable if they 'feel fearful' or 'feel threatened' or don't like your music. If someone wants to pack on their 30,000 acre ranch in Utah, fine. That is not a plane, or a subway, a church, school or a busy street.

I am following up with a couple of thoughts. Those delivery workers are not allowed to use the restrooms in the restaurants they deliver for and the sucks. Not even an employee restroom while they wait for a pickup. They are not even allowed to wash their hands. Who knows where they go? Next. In the US we have un-amendable rights that go beyond the Constitution and its numbered, amendable amendments. Among these are rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness. Having some self-deputized vigil-anti with a firearm in public, is a threat to our public lives, our liberties and our pursuits. It is also a threat to Due Process when some armed jerk decides to be judge, juror and executioner based upon their own internal state of mind which no one else can control. Just as you cannot make someone laugh and are not responsible for their laughter, you are not accountable if they 'feel fearful' or 'feel threatened' or don't like your music. If someone wants to pack on their 30,000 acre ranch in Utah, fine. That is not a plane, or a subway, a church, school or a busy street.
Nah. In the majority of the United States you have the right to defend yourself against bicycle robbery. Thankfully there’s only a few “purple” states that step all over our constitution. They’ll eventually be overridden by the rule of law as judged by the Supreme Court in the near future.

07945CBD-E190-466C-8FD2-C34AE5566FE8.png

In urban, and now sometimes the suburbs, the thugs prey on the brown undocumented knowing on Friday they are likely to be carrying cash…and as you pointed out, they’re uncomfortable going to the police. A particularly cruel combination of factors.

Nah. In the majority of the United States you have the right to defend yourself against bicycle robbery. Thankfully there’s only a few “purple” states that step all over our constitution. They’ll eventually be overridden by the rule of law as judged by the Supreme Court in the near future.

View attachment 109083
The map of the rednecks: It is good. Thank God my neighbor is moving to Texas! He is a conspiracy theorist, non-mask warring, automatic pistol toting nut case. And unvaccinated. Darwin Awards are in order for all the nut jobs. Climate change hit the coal belt hard last night. When will they open their eyes?

The map of the rednecks: It is good. Thank God my neighbor is moving to Texas! He is a conspiracy theorist, non-mask warring, automatic pistol toting nut case. And unvaccinated. Darwin Awards are in order for all the nut jobs. Climate change hit the coal belt hard last night. When will they open their eyes?
I think those are decades old dated stereotypes of gun owners. Most new gun owners now are urban, many are black. Maybe they’re tired of thugs pushing them off of bikes too?

Last edited:
Climate change hit the coal belt hard last night. When will they open their eyes?
Yes, but the only people that consume coal in the United States do so by plugging things into an electrical outlet - like electric bikes and cars and such 🤣

What to do about guns in a place like the US when there's already so many in circulation is tricky. But one thing you can be sure of, in places where guns are rare, you don't have to worry about a driver shooting you when you call them out for being a jerk on the road. This would be a common occurrence were it not for the fact that there are usually few cyclists in areas where carrying your gun in your car is common.

Reminds me of how libertarians say 'an armed society is a polite society' as if it's a good thing. I'd rather society be a place where we can all mouth off to one another from time to time without worrying about being killed, and not one where we have to be obsequiously polite to each other out of mortal fear. That 'polite society' of draconian self-censorship doesn't sound very free...

Last edited:
Am I the only one who carries a wrist wrap mace container when I ride? The slogan for this mace is "Making grown men cry" and it works on dogs and humans. Non-lethal, easy to use and quiet. It contains a dye as well. But I also carry a small boating compressed air horn for the noise part. I feel for these delivery riders. Has anyone ever seen the foreign move The Bicycle Thief? If not, look it up.

Back