Carbon Wheel Build with Ebikemotion

lo se que hay mas de un sistema,pero en ruedas de motor de cubo lo conveniente es dos o tres cruces, se de bastantes que han roto radios por venir radiadas de esa forma tan simple, es mas en este mismo foro los hay.
There's advantages and disadvantages either way. Look at the spoke angles into the nipples on 2x and 3x lacing with a hub this large. And then there's spoke elbow/hub stress. That's why Orbea and many wheel builders that specialize in e-bike wheel building prefer 1x. Grin Technologies is one.

Last edited:
I rebuilt the wheel and moved all spokes so that elbows are all out on the spokes 1X pattern exactly like my factory Mavic wheel is laced. Turned out quite good and got it dished and trued well. Found out it's much easier to use small #2-56 screws in the nipples and install them using the magnet method. Should have done that from the start. Just have to install my custom wheel decals and put sealer in the tires before mounting them. Should save a bit over a pound in weight over the factory wheels, mainly on the front wheel.

Anybody know what the torque spec is for the cassette locknut/magnet? I can't find that spec anywhere.

Anybody know what the torque spec is for the cassette locknut/magnet? I can't find that spec anywhere.

i've always just tightened until it feels "good enough". also seen the same from all pro bike mechanics (who otherwise use torque wrenches for other parts of the bike).

seems to me that thats fine because (1) not carbon or otherwise at risk of overtightening (2) not critical failure part for undertightening (3) low chance of it undoing itself

All done. I'll give them a go this week.

Attachments

• 20210808_172215.jpg
    20210808_172215.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 353
What length spokes did you use on the rear wheel build? Also, which Farsports rim and depth did you go with?
Same question since you completed your build. What length spokes did you use. Or, rather, where did you get the official dimensions of the Mahle x35+ hub with which to calculate spoke length?

I'm also considering buying Farsports rims to build up the hub, because trying to get upgraded pair from manufacturer of the bike is a PITA.
Bought 2 full wheelsets from them years before so very happy with the product. Now considering 45x28mm front and rear. Would use existing Mahle+Mavic hubs and lace them up in pattern identical to OEM set.

Same question since you completed your build. What length spokes did you use. Or, rather, where did you get the official dimensions of the Mahle x35+ hub with which to calculate spoke length?

I'm also considering buying Farsports rims to build up the hub, because trying to get upgraded pair from manufacturer of the bike is a PITA.
Bought 2 full wheelsets from them years before so very happy with the product. Now considering 45x28mm front and rear. Would use existing Mahle+Mavic hubs and lace them up in pattern identical to OEM set.
FarSports will give you all the needed rim dimensions. I had them build my 45mm Kaze front wheel complete using a Carbon Ti hub, so I don't know what the spoke lengths were that they used. My rear rim is a Kaze 58mm. Mahle refused to give me the dimensions on their X35 hub, (It's a huge secret apparently) so I had to take those measurements myself. Orbea was of little (Actually zero) help as well. The total length of the hub is 135mm. The gear side is right at 55mm while the non-gear side is 35mm. The hub diameter is 107.5mm on both the drive and non-drive sides. I used Sapim "Strong" spokes with 14mm locking aluminum Polyax nipples, and retained the factory 1X lacing pattern. In my case the 58mm Kaze internal rim diameter is 517mm, and the rim thickness is 3.5mm. Using the Sapim spoke calculator the recommended spoke length was 215.5mm on the non-gear side, and 213.5mm on the gear side. I selected 216 & 214mm spokes based on my calculations, and it worked out well.

FarSports will give you all the needed rim dimensions. I had them build my 45mm Kaze front wheel complete using a Carbon Ti hub, so I don't know what the spoke lengths were that they used. My rear rim is a Kaze 58mm. Mahle refused to give me the dimensions on their X35 hub, (It's a huge secret apparently) so I had to take those measurements myself. Orbea was of little (Actually zero) help as well. The total length of the hub is 135mm. The gear side is right at 55mm while the non-gear side is 35mm. The hub diameter is 107.5mm on both the drive and non-drive sides. I used Sapim "Strong" spokes with 14mm locking aluminum Polyax nipples, and retained the factory 1X lacing pattern. In my case the 58mm Kaze internal rim diameter is 517mm, and the rim thickness is 3.5mm. Using the Sapim spoke calculator the recommended spoke length was 215.5mm on the non-gear side, and 213.5mm on the gear side. I selected 216 & 214mm spokes based on my calculations, and it worked out well.
Are you on X35 or X35+ hub? The latter has redesigned flange from cylindral to wavy and thus possibly different flange height.

I emailed wheelsfar for initial quote but havent discussed dimension, which possibly/likely they dont have?

Found some spec sheets (ERD+spoke length) of the different Mahle wheels from Orbea and Mavic….and possibly i can plug those into spoke calculator to back out the other dimensions. Still awaiting the bike itself (on Ksyrium S EBM) to be able to deploy mm calipers on.

Did you require tensiometer or just went by feel?

Are you on X35 or X35+ hub? The latter has redesigned flange from cylindral to wavy and thus possibly different flange height.

I emailed wheelsfar for initial quote but havent discussed dimension, which possibly/likely they dont have?

Found some spec sheets (ERD+spoke length) of the different Mahle wheels from Orbea and Mavic….and possibly i can plug those into spoke calculator to back out the other dimensions. Still awaiting the bike itself (on Ksyrium S EBM) to be able to deploy mm calipers on.

If you're only buying bare rims from Farsports, you should deal with them direct instead of through Wheelsfar. Wheelsfar is their website for prebuilt wheels, not custom orders. I can give you my contact's email if you want, she was very helpful before, during, and after my wheel production. My hubs are the original X35, not the newer plus which are only on the 2021 and newer models. I purchased both a Park Tool wheel truing stand and spoke tension gauge from Amazon.

Hi again, judging from the pictures Steven I would recommend cutting your fork to avoid the spacers above the stem. The expander plug in the fork is there to prevent fork from getting squished from the clamping of the stem (so it is recommended not to use spacers above it to make sure there is support in the right place). You could also invest in a longer expander plug, 50-70mm.

Just as a precaution, you're probably fine :)

Hi again, judging from the pictures Steven I would recommend cutting your fork to avoid the spacers above the stem. The expander plug in the fork is there to prevent fork from getting squished from the clamping of the stem (so it is recommended not to use spacers above it to make sure there is support in the right place). You could also invest in a longer expander plug, 50-70mm.

Just as a precaution, you're probably fine :)
Thanks for your concern. I'm using an extended expander, so there's plenty of support for the stem. :)

Really nice work there André!
I'm currently looking in to this as well as I'm building a dream bike for my girlfriend who's a leg amputee. Do you have the weight of the original vs Parcours? Or possibly a naked weight of just the motor? Going full weight-weenie here but hey, on an e-bike it actually makes a bit more sense, right ;)
Cc an you please post pics of thee wheels very interested
Thanks

I have a Cannondale Super Six Neo and looking to get upgraded wheels :)
Your least expensive option will be to contact Farsports and have them build you a complete front wheel and supply you with a rear rim only that you would take to your LBS or wheel builder and have them build with new spokes and the hub motor from your stock rear wheel. The other 2 options (More expensive) are either Nox or Parcours wheels, but again the rear would be just the rim that you'd have someone build with your stock rear wheel's hub motor.

Last edited:

Hi,
I’m trying to make my wheel build and for that I need to calculate the spokes length(s). Do you happen to have the dimensions of X35+ ? It would be of great help

I wanted to post an update on my Farsports carbon wheels are on the way I cannot wait to get them. Special thanks to Steven C56 for all his help. Windy from Farsports was so awesome to deal with she was very patient and answered all my questions. I just need to get the rear wheel laced when it gets here I went with same size and width as the Zipp 303 and opted for Tubeless with DT Swiss 350. That Peace symbol is for all the Ukrainians

Attachments

• Peace_button_large.png
    Peace_button_large.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 192
  • JNC6.jpg
    JNC6.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 191
  • JNC5.jpg
    JNC5.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 194
  • JNC9.jpg
    JNC9.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 207
I was able to get the brake disc installed the DT Swiss 350 hub was a center lock set up bit Farsports provided the Shimano conversion part. I just need to get my rear wheel relaced and I will be set. So far looks good same size as the Zipp 303 e 700x 28 tires

I was able to get the brake disc installed the DT Swiss 350 hub was a center lock set up bit Farsports provided the Shimano conversion part. I just need to get my rear wheel relaced and I will be set. So far looks good same size as the Zipp 303 e 700x 28 tires
Looks good. Forgot about the factory hub&disc being 6 bolt instead of center lock. Not going tubeless?

Back