Carbon Wheel Build with Ebikemotion

Just another thing to note is that the hub motor engineering design is awful. The cartridge bearings on the non drive side = new motor, and on the drive side the freehub is a part of the motor which = new end and motor rebuild. All = wheels need to be rebuilt to work on the motor. The bearings are press fit and allegedly non replaceable in a normal manner!

2C326BB4-45D6-4202-8A2E-81B966CBAB3D.jpeg

Also worth noting that as of August 2020 Mahle improved the motor to the x35+ system. So if you are looking at a new ebikemotion bike make sure it’s an X35+ motor

I too am not particularly enamoured with Orbea and Mahle’s stance on Hub motors and batteries. I’ve been in touch with my bike supplier and have been offered a new hub motor for £480 GBP this then needs a full rebuild of my carbon wheel though. It’s like pulling teeth dealing with Orbea, as it’s all indirect and time passes between each update. The battery issue I haven’t even engaged in yet. Both the battery and motor are classed as non user serviceable parts and hence the only channel is through an Orbea official dealer. https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/dealers
x35 motors are not linked to the serial number of the bicycle, only the battery is linked, I have 2 motors.

x35 motors are not linked to the serial number of the bicycle, only the battery is linked, I have 2 motors.
In the Orbea Dealer Guide it states all components are linked to the bike's serial number and are not swappable to other bikes, but as you found out it's only the battery/controller assembly that is linked. I know another person who is using the X35 hub motor off of a Cannondale Treadwell Neo for a second set of wheels on his M20i and it works perfectly with no faults. This misinformation is one of the reasons Orbea refuses to supply my dealer (US Dealer) with a spare hub to sell me. They say it won't work because only one hub can be linked to the system, which of course is total BS. How did you get your second hub? I'm considering buying a lower line complete bike so I can rob the X35 components and then sell that bike as an acoustic bike.

In the Orbea Dealer Guide it states all components are linked to the bike's serial number and are not swappable to other bikes, but as you found out it's only the battery/controller assembly that is linked. I know another person who is using the X35 hub motor off of a Cannondale Treadwell Neo for a second set of wheels on his M20i and it works perfectly with no faults. This misinformation is one of the reasons Orbea refuses to supply my dealer (US Dealer) with a spare hub to sell me. They say it won't work because only one hub can be linked to the system, which of course is total BS. How did you get your second hub? I'm considering buying a lower line complete bike so I can rob the X35 components and then sell that bike as an acoustic bike.
I had a pink light problem and in ebikemotion they did not know where it came from, they sent me the whole new system, battery, motor and pass sensor, and they did not ask me to return anything, then I found out that everything worked perfectly, the pink light problem was to turn the bike off and on several times, while on the move.

Finally received my Farsports wheels a couple days ago. The front 45mm is complete with Carbon-TI hub. Mounted a new Conti 5000TL and it's dead sexy. The rear is a 58mm bare rim, and I have to disassemble the factory rear wheel so I can build the new rear with my factory X35 hub. I tried to purchase a second hub motor so I wouldn't have to down my bike, but neither Orbea or Mahle will sell me one. I've never spoked and built a wheel before, so it's going to take some time. Sapim "Strong" spokes are on order.

Attachments

• 20210617_140438.jpg
    20210617_140438.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 20210617_140501.jpg
    20210617_140501.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 295
Finally received my Farsports wheels a couple days ago. The front 45mm is complete with Carbon-TI hub. Mounted a new Conti 5000TL and it's dead sexy. The rear is a 58mm bare rim, and I have to disassemble the factory rear wheel so I can build the new rear with my factory X35 hub. I tried to purchase a second hub motor so I wouldn't have to down my bike, but neither Orbea or Mahle will sell me one. I've never spoked and built a wheel before, so it's going to take some time. Sapim "Strong" spokes are on order.
Nice 👍 If you require another hub you need to go via an Orbea dealership. I was quoted £480 GBP for one. I wanted to use a new hub but at the time quote was £800-£900!! I have Sapim CX-Ray on the front wheel and CX-Sprint on rear wheel. Both aero spokes but the latter stronger.

Nice 👍 If you require another hub you need to go via an Orbea dealership. I was quoted £480 GBP for one. I wanted to use a new hub but at the time quote was £800-£900!! I have Sapim CX-Ray on the front wheel and CX-Sprint on rear wheel. Both aero spokes but the latter stronger.
Things are obviously different here in the US. Orbea refused to supply my dealer with an X35 hub to sell me. They said that they are only setup with Mahle to warranty components, but not to retail them. I asked what an owner is suppose to do after the 2 year warranty on the X35 system expires, and they really had no answer. I'm pretty sure the first owners of the original Gain models are now well past 2 years.

Things are obviously different here in the US. Orbea refused to supply my dealer with an X35 hub to sell me. They said that they are only setup with Mahle to warranty components, but not to retail them. I asked what an owner is suppose to do after the 2 year warranty on the X35 system expires, and they really had no answer. I'm pretty sure the first owners of the original Gain models are now well past 2 years.
el distribuidor o vendedor tiene que ponerse en contacto con ebikemotion, es la unica forma de que te lo vendan.

el distribuidor o vendedor tiene que ponerse en contacto con ebikemotion, es la unica forma de que te lo vendan.
My dealer did that, and Mahle refused to sell direct to my dealer and said the only way is for him to buy through Orbea, who also refuses to do so.

My dealer did that, and Mahle refused to sell direct to my dealer and said the only way is for him to buy through Orbea, who also refuses to do so.
the phone spain ebikemotion +34 983441099 they speak english

This needs to be sorted, they are all passing the book! Mahle Ebikemotion only sell to the manufacturer (Orbea). Orbea only sell to Orbea dealers and then the headaches start. This needs to be covered by a major cycling magazine! It’s a joke that you can’t buy parts to maintain your bike and for spares. With the length of time my bike would be off the road if the rear hub broke, it would be advisable to have a spare ready to put on.

This needs to be sorted, they are all passing the book! Mahle Ebikemotion only sell to the manufacturer (Orbea). Orbea only sell to Orbea dealers and then the headaches start. This needs to be covered by a major cycling magazine! It’s a joke that you can’t buy parts to maintain your bike and for spares. With the length of time my bike would be off the road if the rear hub broke, it would be advisable to have a spare ready to put on.
Agree 100%

I found a second hub! A Cannondale dealer in Texas had a new take off rear wheel and X35 hub from a 2019 Treadwell Neo, so I won't need to down my bike while I build the rear wheel. Also, a shout out for Farsports in China. They make a high quality wheel that you can customize, and their customer support is second to none!

Anybody out there have wheel building experience? The factory wheels are Mavic Aksium and are spoked 1X with all the spokes on the outside of the flange both drive and non-drive sides. (Spoke heads in) I purchase a set of Farsports carbon wheels, and they built the front complete and shipped me the rear rim bare. I also ordered with no external spoke holes, so nipple insertion and lacing was a real pain. I got the wheel all assembled, and noticed that I spoked both sides with the spokes inside the flange. (Spoke heads out) Doh! Will this work, or do I need to disassemble the whole thing and re-do it? And I was so proud of myself for even pulling off inserting 32 nipples (PITA) using a pull wire and lacing the wheel. It's even pretty true after just the basic lacing and spoke tightening.

en realidad deben ir por fuera y por dentro y si es posible a tres cruces, fijate en la foto y ampliala.

Attachments

• ruedas.jpeg
    ruedas.jpeg
    810.4 KB · Views: 499
en realidad deben ir por fuera y por dentro y si es posible a tres cruces, fijate en la foto y ampliala.
There is more than 1 way to lace a wheel. The wheel builder on the pictured wheels chose a 3X pattern. The factory Orbea Gain lacing is 1X with all spoke elbows to the outside of the flanges.

lo se que hay mas de un sistema,pero en ruedas de motor de cubo lo conveniente es dos o tres cruces, se de bastantes que han roto radios por venir radiadas de esa forma tan simple, es mas en este mismo foro los hay.

Back