Carbon Wheel Build with Ebikemotion

Brendon@OEB

Hey all,

Thought I'd share a build I've done on my own personal bike as well as a few builds for customers. There aren't any posts in the Bianchi forum and there isn't a Pinarello forum but all of these bikes use the same drive system so this forum made the most sense.

We sourced Nox Composites rims as they're offered in the 32h needed for the rear wheel. Front wheel is a DT Swiss 240 hub, 24h. 2x in the front, 3x in the rear (how they come laced from the factory).

Bike is noticably lighter and spins up quicker, all desired outcomes of carbon wheels. Granted mine is my winter bike so I'm running 32c tires and fenders. Also being a gravel bike it's a little heavier than the Bianchi.

I've got a Campagnolo EPS group waiting to go on too, excited to get this bike stripped down to the frame. With the battery out it should be pretty easy to run the wires needed.

Any questions please ask!

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_111431616.jpg
    IMG_20190922_111431616.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 1,537
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 1,584
Do you notice any difference in ride quality with carbon rims? I am probably purchasing the new Trek Allant+ 9.9 once it is out. I've been discussing with my LBS the possibility of switching the rims to a carbon set with 28 spokes. Not necessarily for weight savings but for ride quality. I'd probably also go tubeless (and lower psi). When I did some research, it seemed all the benefits of carbon rims were related to acceleration and weight savings but I didn't see a lot of reference to ride quality. LBS seems pretty confident that ride quality would be enhanced. I'll be adding a Kinekt seat post and the Baramind handlebar as well.

Hmm, if you were to come into my shop and want things to improve ride quality, a low spoke count set of carbon wheels kind of goes the opposite direction. Carbon wheels are usually better for performance, usually more aerodynamic, stiffer, and paired with a good hub so they roll better.

If you want better ride quality I'd run a larger size tire, high thread count (referred to as TPI), and a hand built set of wheels. My go to is Velocity for rims (all made in Michigan, the Nox are made in Tennessee), 28 or 32 hole, straight 2.0 spokes, and DT Swiss 350 hubs. 240's are definitely nicer but the 350 hits that sweet dollar value spot. That combination builds to a great wheel that can be service and work for quite a long time. Attached is a pic of my last winter bike, same formula with the wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_140632517_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181222_140632517_HDR.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 1,154
I am thinking of doing same and have some 28 spoke carbon rims, but will need to get them rebuilt with disc / through axle hub. Do you recommend the DT Swiss hub or was it just that the rims came with them?

I am thinking of doing same and have some 28 spoke carbon rims, but will need to get them rebuilt with disc / through axle hub. Do you recommend the DT Swiss hub or was it just that the rims came with them?

DT make many of the carbon and alloy hubs for branded manufacturers ie. Bontrager for one. So yes Tif, I would highly recommend them.

Hey all,

Thought I'd share a build I've done on my own personal bike as well as a few builds for customers. There aren't any posts in the Bianchi forum and there isn't a Pinarello forum but all of these bikes use the same drive system so this forum made the most sense.

We sourced Nox Composites rims as they're offered in the 32h needed for the rear wheel. Front wheel is a DT Swiss 240 hub, 24h. 2x in the front, 3x in the rear (how they come laced from the factory).

Bike is noticably lighter and spins up quicker, all desired outcomes of carbon wheels. Granted mine is my winter bike so I'm running 32c tires and fenders. Also being a gravel bike it's a little heavier than the Bianchi.

I've got a Campagnolo EPS group waiting to go on too, excited to get this bike stripped down to the frame. With the battery out it should be pretty easy to run the wires needed.

I read this article with great interest as I have an Orbea Gain with the Ebikemotion x35 system. The stock wheels weren’t very good, so decided to go with Parcours Strade with a 32/24 spoke count.

Needless to say I’m ecstatic with the result. So, many thanks for the inspiration, and to RyanBuildsWheels for building the dream.

79D5A1CD-FD19-453C-A113-BF43AFEFC7E1.jpeg
853A89ED-1F52-4954-A8F7-A9ABBA487CF0.jpeg

I read this article with great interest as I have an Orbea Gain with the Ebikemotion x35 system. The stock wheels weren’t very good, so decided to go with Parcours Strade with a 32/24 spoke count.

Needless to say I’m ecstatic with the result. So, many thanks for the inspiration, and to RyanBuildsWheels for building the dream.
Really nice work there André!
I'm currently looking in to this as well as I'm building a dream bike for my girlfriend who's a leg amputee. Do you have the weight of the original vs Parcours? Or possibly a naked weight of just the motor? Going full weight-weenie here but hey, on an e-bike it actually makes a bit more sense, right ;)

Hi Wicked

I have the aluminium Orbea Gain which was around 13kg all in. The carbon frame version is around 11.3kg. I’ve lost around 0.5kg rotational weight with the upgrade. So around 12.5kg. The entire Ebikemotion X35 system is 3.5kg of which 2.15kg is the hub motor.
It now spins up very quickly, rolls better and climbs hills much better. The aero wheels have 54/49 rim depth rear/ front for control in crosswinds, which I can confirm works well.
The bike rides well without the battery turned on. But find a big hill and you leave a lot of the serious Lycra brigade behind!
I’m not sure the Mahle Ebikemotion X35 system can be purchased outright, certainly not in UK.
It’s a stealth road bike with battery hidden in the down tube. Ribble Cycles, Orbea, Wilier, Bianchi and a few others use the system. The lightest being the Ribble SLe at sub 11kg total weight!

Hi Wicked

I have the aluminium Orbea Gain which was around 13kg all in. The carbon frame version is around 11.3kg. I’ve lost around 0.5kg rotational weight with the upgrade. So around 12.5kg. The entire Ebikemotion X35 system is 3.5kg of which 2.15kg is the hub motor.
It now spins up very quickly, rolls better and climbs hills much better. The aero wheels have 54/49 rim depth rear/ front for control in crosswinds, which I can confirm works well.
The bike rides well without the battery turned on. But find a big hill and you leave a lot of the serious Lycra brigade behind!
I’m not sure the Mahle Ebikemotion X35 system can be purchased outright, certainly not in UK.
It’s a stealth road bike with battery hidden in the down tube. Ribble Cycles, Orbea, Wilier, Bianchi and a few others use the system. The lightest being the Ribble SLe at sub 11kg total weight!

Glad to be some inspiration, bike looks great!

I've converted the Dyodo back to stock form and it's for sale now. The carbon wheels were awesome but I've gone a different direction bike wise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_124859977.jpg
    IMG_20200716_124859977.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 832
Glad to be some inspiration, bike looks great!

I've converted the Dyodo back to stock form and it's for sale now. The carbon wheels were awesome but I've gone a different direction bike wise.

The Dyodo is certainly an awesome bike even in stock form. I much prefer the cleaner lines of the Ebikemotion solution over the bulkier Bosch crank drive.

Cento10.jpg

Finally landed a Cento10 Hybrid for her, it rides like a dream given the extra weight :) Now all I need is to find a lightweight rim that has 32H.
Where did you get the Parcours rims André? Tried googling but only end up on their website. Also, how are the NOX wheels? Crosswinds/ holding speed etc? Is it a 38mm on the Bianchi up there?

Cheers

Lovely bike wickedsixx. I got my bike wheels custom built by https://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk/
I sent them my rear hub and they supplied everything else. I am unable to find a similar spec wheel in the sub £1000 gbp category. They look and ride like a much more expensive wheel.
They can build with Nox if you wish but they worked out more expensive.

Why is it that the only version of the Mavic Comic Pro Carbon UST wheels I can find have a 24 spoke pattern front and rear? Did Mavic create a special version for the Gain that has a 32 spoke rear? I can't find them anywhere for purchase. I'd really like to upgrade my M20i to carbon wheels.

Why is it that the only version of the Mavic Comic Pro Carbon UST wheels I can find have a 24 spoke pattern front and rear? Did Mavic create a special version for the Gain that has a 32 spoke rear? I can't find them anywhere for purchase. I'd really like to upgrade my M20i to carbon wheels.

Not sure I understand you dilemma. You cannot just buy a normal set of wheel, because your bike has a hub motor, yes? So you would have to have a custom wheels built using carbon rims.

Hey all,

Brendon, you have some beautiful bikes... I love the Celeste color on your Bianchi. ;)

Have you considered one of the new lightweight mid-drive motors for you next ride?

1598809891692.png
;)

Not sure I understand you dilemma. You cannot just buy a normal set of wheel, because your bike has a hub motor, yes? So you would have to have a custom wheels built using carbon rims.

The dilemma is that you need a 32H rear wheel to custom built it up with the hub motor. Both the Mavic and Parcour wheels are only listed as 24H. Where are the 32H versions?

I see carbon Mavic rims on their site, but perhaps not the same rims as on the Cosmic Pro. But there are plenty of carbon rim manufacturers out there to choose from.

Back