Carbon Wheel Build with Ebikemotion

Why is it that the only version of the Mavic Comic Pro Carbon UST wheels I can find have a 24 spoke pattern front and rear? Did Mavic create a special version for the Gain that has a 32 spoke rear? I can't find them anywhere for purchase. I'd really like to upgrade my M20i to carbon wheels.
Hi Murph, I did the same originally in trying to buy the Mavic Cosmic Pro wheels. The best explanation I got was from Ribble Cycles. Ribble get the wheels directly built for them by Mahle Ebikemotion but couldn’t get some for me. There aren’t as many options for 32 spoke rear but Oregon Cycles use the Nox Falkor 55 which in a 32/24 spoke are ideal. The Parcours Strade can be custom built by RyanBuildsWheels to a 32/24 Spoke count also.

@MurphyDog
Try Bike24, they have a 40mm version of the Mavics CXP in 32H versions as well as a Praxis works.
I tried the Mavics on another bike before settling for the Wilier, they felt a bit to susceptible to crosswinds in my mind and mounting tyres was a nightmare. However they are solid and look great. If I went Mavic I would have settled for a deeper rear wheel and shallow front to make the front less twitchy. I usually run 50mm on my own bikes but they handle quite different despite all sorts of winds, but its also a completely different price point compared to the Mavics so imagine more research has gone into rim shape.

Anyway, the Praxis rims would probably be a great choice, sturdy and really lightweight, only 367g/ rim :)

So my 2020 Orbea Gain M20i is on the way. I'm not thrilled with the stock wheels, but with the closeout price on this bike I figured that could be changed out the later. Easier said than done so it appears. How many companies make good quality affordable carbon 32 spoke aero rims/wheels that are both disc and tubeless compatible?

So my 2020 Orbea Gain M20i is on the way. I'm not thrilled with the stock wheels, but with the closeout price on this bike I figured that could be changed out the later. Easier said than done so it appears. How many companies make good quality affordable carbon 32 spoke aero rims/wheels that are both disc and tubeless compatible?
Competitive Cyclist has a good selection of Carbon Aero wheels that are disc and tubeless compatible.

Competitive Cyclist has a good selection of Carbon Aero wheels that are disc and tubeless compatible.

There isn't a pre-built wheel that has a Ebikemotion rear hub however, so this is more of a custom build situation. I guess what I really need is a pair of Carbon rims that are disc compatible and tubeless ready. 24 hole front, and 32 hole rear.

Hi Steve
I stripped the hub of my rear wheel (Orbea Gain) posted it to Ryan Builds Wheels in Bristol and they did a custom build 32 spoke rear and 24 spoke front with Disc brakes, tubeless Conti GP 5000 for £1000 including shipping.
The pics are in this thread earlier.

Hi Steve
I stripped the hub of my rear wheel (Orbea Gain) posted it to Ryan Builds Wheels in Bristol and they did a custom build 32 spoke rear and 24 spoke front with Disc brakes, tubeless Conti GP 5000 for £1000 including shipping.
The pics are in this thread earlier.
Wheels are Parcours Strade btw

There isn't a pre-built wheel that has a Ebikemotion rear hub however, so this is more of a custom build situation.
I guess what I really need is a pair of Carbon rims that are disc compatible and tubeless ready. 24 hole front, and 32 hole rear.
Ah, got it... you want to build a custom wheelset for your existing hub motor. ;)

Wheels are Parcours Strade btw
I saw that and have contacted Parcours about selling me 2 bare rims, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I only see complete wheelsets on their international website. I haven't found any place in the US that's a dealer for the brand so far. Do you know what length spokes were used front and rear for the build?

Last edited:
I saw that and have contacted Parcours about selling me 2 bare rims, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I only see complete wheelsets on their international website. I haven't found any place in the US that's a dealer for the brand so far. Do you know what length spokes were used front and rear for the build?
I haven’t got the spoke lengths to hand as the wheel builder sorted that out. Another valid carbon rim would be the Nox Falkor as it’s available in the US

Nox Composites is based in Knoxville, TN and all of our products are designed and tested here. We work closely with a manufacturer in Asia to produce rims using our molds, layup schedule and proprietary production techniques. The carbon for our rims is sourced from Toray in Japan. Manufacturing and quality control is held to extremely high standards including regular destructive and nondestructive testing to ensure quality and safety. We're excited to be able to offer rims of this quality at lower price points than was previously possible.

So like lots of other major wheel companies, the carbon rims themselves are made in Asia. Not that all Asian wheels are created equally, but I can buy straight from several Asian wheel manufacturers for quite a bit less $.

Looks like both the Parcours and the Nox wheels only come in UD carbon finish. I would prefer the 3K Matte like the Mavics have. Plus the Nox's do not appear tubeless compatible. This is not as easy as I was hoping. Still looking for an affordable solution that checks all my boxes.

I can really recommend Farsports if you would like to try the Chinese route. You can find a great deal of reviews on them and they offer really good lightweight options. I ordered a 32H rear with spokes and a prebuilt front wheel to match. Beautiful set of wheels once built up around the hub motor. Saved a good 600g from the stock wheels too.

Also, they come in very competitive, price-wise! They offer both UD and 3K finishes.

Last edited:
I can really recommend Farsports if you would like to try the Chinese route. You can find a great deal of reviews on them and they offer really good lightweight options. I ordered a 32H rear with spokes and a prebuilt front wheel to match. Beautiful set of wheels once built up around the hub motor. Saved a good 600g from the stock wheels too.

Also, they come in very competitive, price-wise! They offer both UD and 3K finishes.
Thanks for the information. I think I've talked myself out of the Chinese wheels after some research, but the prices are sure attractive. I'll email Farsports and get an estimate, but I think the Parcours wheels are calling out to me.

What length spokes did you use on the rear wheel build? Also, which Farsports rim and depth did you go with?

Last edited:
Back