Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I need to carry one item that weighs 16 lbs. There isn't really any other option than a rack, or trailer. This bike can handle an OMM rack, but a trailer might lead to issues.

I get that the seat stays may flex ever so slightly where the stabilizer arms for the OMM rack attach. I don't think it will be an issue. Most of the 30 mm flex occurs in the chainstay area.

Ecoflow River Pro 720 wh

Last edited:
Email from REI:
Thanks for contacting us regarding the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3.

We were able to inspect our inventory and these do indeed have the Performance Line CX motors. None of our remaining inventory have the Performance Line Speed motor.

We have temporarily taken our product listing down for an update.

We are sorry for any confusion on this.

Thanks for being part of our co-op!

Pretty much confirmation of what we already knew.

Email from REI:
Thanks for contacting us regarding the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3.

We were able to inspect our inventory and these do indeed have the Performance Line CX motors. None of our remaining inventory have the Performance Line Speed motor.

We have temporarily taken our product listing down for an update.

We are sorry for any confusion on this.

Thanks for being part of our co-op!

Pretty much confirmation of what we already knew.
Tell them to order the correct bike, the one they advertised, from Cannondale.
Sorry doesn't cut it. Google your state + consumer protection act false advertising. That will let you know what your rights are. Then you can let REI know that you know what your rights are. I see various bike stores have legit 2021 Class 3 Topstone Lefty 3's available for preorder.

One thing that stood out about the Niner ebike:
"And the all-new RLT e9 RDO carbon fork is the same length as a FOX AX suspension fork."
Should be easy to throw a suspension fork on her if you so desire. It seems to have slightly more clearance for wider tires, compared to the Cannondale.
They did a flat bar version of it. At home on gravel and trail worthy.
1614997303036.png

1614997349622.png

They did a flat bar version of it. At home on gravel and trail worthy.

They say geniuses choose green.
I love that the battery is accessed from the bottom. That's a lot of room for a frame bag.
Plus, with that suspension fork, one could run an OMM front rack.

Niner's next bike should be a MCR 9 RDO with a motor. With a full suspension that would be an awesome e-gravel bike!
I'll agree. Got a kick out of the MCR standing for Magic Carpet Ride, but it's appropriate. Amazing suspension for a gravel bike.

1615123805775.png

I wish Salsa would make an electric Fargo that can take, at a minimum, 3 inch tires. The option for a front suspension fork would be nice, as well. Or maybe a Surly Ice Cream Truck electric bike. I like carbon fiber, I just don't trust it over the long run.

I took the path of least resistance & "returned" the top stone neo carbon I ordered from REI & got a refund. I discussed the whole false advertising/ not what i ordered with a lawyer friend, their comment was basically - yup and REI can agree and keep you waiting for a long time. So i went to Trek store and bought a year old new domane+ hp for less money. I appreciate all the assistance.

I took the path of least resistance & "returned" the top stone neo carbon I ordered from REI & got a refund. I discussed the whole false advertising/ not what i ordered with a lawyer friend, their comment was basically - yup and REI can agree and keep you waiting for a long time. So i went to Trek store and bought a year old new domane+ hp for less money. I appreciate all the assistance.
That's a cool bike. It's class 3, right?

And then another Performance Line Speed gravel bike appears:

They say geniuses choose green.
I love that the battery is accessed from the bottom. That's a lot of room for a frame bag.
Plus, with that suspension fork, one could run an OMM front rack.

Thank you Spicy, I’m looking at green color for my next ebike. 😊😃

Interesting. So the retail price difference between the Class 1 and Class 3 is $300. And the Class 1 is further mark-down another $1.2K. I'm leaning towards getting the CX version and getting a "thingy" for it. ;)
They gave Alaskan a Class 3 for $4799. I don't see any reason they can't do the same for me. They said they would, but then claimed they couldn't get a class 3. Well, I knew that was nonsense.

Mine is a "used" returned bike. It had 240 miles on it. Not out of new bike inventory.

@Marci jo the neo comes in a stunning emerald green. Its a spendy one though. As of a week ago Cannondale was down to single digits in all sizes and will not have any mor to 2022.

Mine is a "used" returned bike. It had 240 miles on it. Not out of new bike inventory.

@Marci jo the neo comes in a stunning emerald green. Its a spendy one though. As of a week ago Cannondale was down to single digits in all sizes and will not have any mor to 2022.
They sure didn't give you a "used" discount when you initially purchased it. They charged you full price.

They sure didn't give you a "used" discount when you initially purchased it. They charged you full price.
Not quite accurate. The charged me $6.300 less 15% because the was used. $6300 is the new MSRP as of 2021 as opposed to $6,000 in 2020 both prices for 2021 model. I went in to the local REI where they know me, and spoke with the manager. I pointed out they were charging more me more for a used bike than the were advertising the same bike new. She agreed that was not right and the error was REIs and took another $700 of the bike, which brought it down to the $4,800 price as advertised for a new class 3 (28mph) bike. She mentioned that her next task was to get hold of their web site manager, take down the listing and revise it to reflect that all they have on sale are class 1, CX 20mph versions.

They gave Alaskan a Class 3 for $4799. I don't see any reason they can't do the same for me. They said they would, but then claimed the...y couldn't get a class 3. Well, I knew that was nonsense.
Except that REI does not have any class 3 bikes and there won't be any more coming from Cannondale until 2022...unless you want to pony up $9,500 for Neo Carbon 1

Back