Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
@Spicy Legato keep an eye on the Pro's Closet. You might get lucky and grab one there>

They had a medium Neo 3 a few weeks ago.

REI shows availability for the Neo 2 at full retail with the speed motor at $7,200 Without the lefty it is the lightest of the bunch. It also has the best drive train IMO with a 2x11 11-34 tooth cassette and 32/48 chain rings. The Neo 2 was my bike of choice but it showed up with a CX 20mph max motor which was not acceptable to me.

So I bought the CX Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3 at REI. Mine came wired for front lights. Has anyone confirmed if the wiring under the seat is for back lights or the dropper post? Thanks!

Had a tough decision as there is a small Niner e9 gravel bike on eBay that I was thinking of making an offer for. In the end, I wanted the full suspension and I wanted to see if I can live with a Class 1 bike. If I couldn't, I could something "extra". Plus, REI's return policy doesn't hurt either.

Attachments

• IMG_4830.jpeg
    IMG_4830.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4832.jpeg
    IMG_4832.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 217
So I bought the CX Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3 at REI. Mine came wired for front lights. Has anyone confirmed if the wiring under the seat is for back lights or the dropper post? Thanks!

Had a tough decision as there is a small Niner e9 gravel bike on eBay that I was thinking of making an offer for. In the end, I wanted the full suspension and I wanted to see if I can live with a Class 1 bike. If I couldn't, I could something "extra". Plus, REI's return policy doesn't hurt either.
That is the wire down inside the seatpost for hooking up your tail light. It routes up through a hole in the middle of the top of the seat post if you are going to use it.

Today I exchanged the class 1 Topstone Lefty 3 for a class 3 Topstone Lefty 3. I ended up paying 5 cents more for the class 3. So, REI ended up making it right.

Having tested both versions I can say with confidence that class 1 ebikes suck.
The class 1 would cut out around 18.4 mph. The class 3 maintains assistance all the way up to 28 mph.

<<I can say with confidence that class 1 ebikes suck>>

Very succinct summary, agreed! I never really get to 28 but it’s very nice to just roll along in the mid 20s towards the end of a 30-40 mile ride.

Gen 4 cuts out at 31.5kph, but my speedo is 1km off at 30kph, so the motor actually cuts out at just above 30kph. :mad:
I seldom ride at that speed while in 'eco' mode, but that's around where I ride in 'tour'.

Today I exchanged the class 1 Topstone Lefty 3 for a class 3 Topstone Lefty 3. I ended up paying 5 cents more for the class 3. So, REI ended up making it right.

The class 1 would cut out around 18.4 mph. The class 3 maintains assistance all the way up to 28 mph.
Spicy, I'm glad you got your cake and got to eat it too. I'll wait awhile before I get my cake and it'll cost around $200. ;)

Unfortunately, where I live class 3 bikes are not permitted on the bike paths and MUPs I ride almost exclusively, so I am more than happy with my class 1, thanks!

Unfortunately, where I live class 3 bikes are not permitted on the bike paths and MUPs I ride almost exclusively, so I am more than happy with my class 1, thanks!
What specific law prohibits class 3 ebike use where you live?

Pretty much any State law, or Federal regulation, that prohibits ebikes, is going to be in conflict with the ADA or Rehabilitation Act. The exception would be the Wilderness Act, which predates, and thus preempts, the Rehabilitation Act. Any municipality which restricts ebikes in violation of the ADA is simply looking at spending a great deal of money on defense lawyers. Wisconsin's law would not survive a federal lawsuit alleging that it conflicts with the ADA.

Here is an example of a policy which does not conflict with the ADA and/or Rehabilitation Act:

Here is Wisconsin's ebike law:
I don't see anything prohibiting class 3 ebikes on trails.

Last edited:
There are no stickers on mine. And the Bosch badge on the motor is covered too ;) It came from the factory that way.
The class 1 bike I got from REI did not have a class 1 sticker. The class 3 bike I got from REI does not have a class 3 sticker. The two bikes look identical. I saw that some class 1 Cannondale bikes at REI did have class 1 stickers. In Washington State, failure to abide by the current poorly worded ebike laws is at most a traffic infraction. In many States, manufacturers are supposed to permanently affix a sticker denoting class. However, like many such laws, they are simply ignored.

It is easy to make your own stickers with a sheet of labels, Microsoft word and a template to create a sheet. You can put whatever class you want in the box ;) I have a word file all ready to go. If anyone wants a copy, send me a PM

Ebike lesson of the day:
If you are going to do a ride where you intend to swap batteries, don't forget your keys.

I did a 31 mile ride today. I went to swap batteries, and realized I forgot my keys. I then rode 16 miles without any assistance, as my battery was dead. I completed the remaining 15 miles via Lyft XL. That 15 miles without any assist was pretty tiring. There is no way I can ride this bike up even a modest incline without power.

Ebike lesson of the day:
If you are going to do a ride where you intend to swap batteries, don't forget your keys.

I did a 31 mile ride today. I went to swap batteries, and realized I forgot my keys. I then rode 16 miles without any assistance, as my battery was dead. I completed the remaining 15 miles via Lyft XL. That 15 miles without any assist was pretty tiring. There is no way I can ride this bike up even a modest incline without power.
Yeah, keys! You won't make that mistake again. You already have a second battery for your Neo? How do you carry it while riding?

Back