NEW, Sexy Cannondale Topstone NEO: First Pics!

Amazer98

Region
USA
City
Yarmouth
I wrote a short description here about a new Cannondale bike that will be officially released on May 27th. I also attached some photos. But the local LBS got wind of my post and asked me to take it down until then. Apparently the dealers were sworn to secrecy about this new bike. Now that May 27th has come and gone, I will re-post with some slight updates:

I met my buddy at our local bike store the other day to check out a super-secret, highly classified, as yet unpublicized, latest model bike release from Cannondale that they were building up for his review. He had told them that he was looking for a Class 3 road or gravel bike with drop bars. They had said hang tight-- we'll have something cool to show you in a day or two... and sure enough, when we arrived at their door, their tech rolled out one of the coolest ebikes I've seen.

The Topstone NEO. Based on the carbon Topstone gravel bike, this electric assist version is also carbon, with an integrated 500wh battery and the new gen 4 Bosch Performance Speed motor with the basic Purion display. It sports an unusual, innovative single-sided Lefty Oliver suspension fork (similar to the Lefty Ochoas on the acoustic Topstone), which is a pretty radical look.

The Medium-sized model we saw was equipped with 650b wheels and knobby tires (I think that was the size), which my friend is having swapped out for 47c slicks. I've also heard that the bike is available with 700c wheels, I'm not certain.

We weighed it at the shop with stock flat pedals at 40.5 lbs.

I took it out for a short spin, and it felt light and nimble... accelerated (in Tour mode) like a sports car.

The carbon frame purportedly has 30mm of flex in the rear, thanks to a thru-axle pivot in the seat tube... sort of a rear shock with no weight penalty. Oh, the bike lists for $5,800... pricey, but light weight and high-tech doesn't come cheap. Anyway, here are some pics:

Attachments

• 95B83ADA-5838-447C-84C5-F2F4CB80E5F8.jpeg
    95B83ADA-5838-447C-84C5-F2F4CB80E5F8.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 598
  • 4EA1141E-D02D-43FA-85E9-77C5565E8A45.jpeg
    4EA1141E-D02D-43FA-85E9-77C5565E8A45.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 525
  • F820D5E9-9ACA-4B3D-A822-9B1D28F6E73A.jpeg
    F820D5E9-9ACA-4B3D-A822-9B1D28F6E73A.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 473
  • B83DDED8-ED34-4511-A43C-576E3FEB748E.jpeg
    B83DDED8-ED34-4511-A43C-576E3FEB748E.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 458
  • FA969225-483A-490C-9C04-E2CE082EBC27.jpeg
    FA969225-483A-490C-9C04-E2CE082EBC27.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Very interesting, especially that single-sided suspension fork. I have to agree with your buddy regarding the tires. Although the OEM ones look to be fun for mostly gravel riding.

Will be fun to watch this one get further released (launched) by Cannondale. Gravel e-bikes have become pretty popular with relatively few choices available.

Thanks for sharing.

Looks nice! Interesting take on the e-gravel. Usually 650b is done so you can go with nice big tires, but they have 38c (which is pretty small in the gravel world these days) and also what appears to be fairly limited tire clearance. Could just be photo angle. If you're going 650b, you better have clearance for like 50mm tires IMO.

Leftys have been around on Cannondale MTBs for years and years. Most people who have them seem to like them. Personally, I don't want a suspension fork on anything short of an actual mountainbike, but I'm sure it smooths rough roads out.

Good to see a new option in the e-gravel segment. For such a popular type of bike in the non-electric world, e-bike versions are very sparse.

Usually 650b is done so you can go with nice big tires, but they have 38c (which is pretty small in the gravel world these days) ...If you're going 650b, you better have clearance for like 50mm tires IMO.

Personally, I don't want a suspension fork on anything short of an actual mountainbike, but I'm sure it smooths rough roads out.

As I recall, the dealer said the bike could accommodate tires as wide as 45c or maybe 46c. And for what it’s worth, the suspension fork does lock up.

I personally have a Bulls Grinder Evo, which is a Class 3 aluminum frame ebike with the Bosch gen 3 Speed motor. It has 700c wheels with 40c tires and a SunTour suspension fork. It weighs 52 lbs, so it’s not as sporty as this Cannondale, but it still is a nice, fast and comfortable ride, especially with the Kinekt seatpost I just installed.

Last edited:
Yes - I've got a Raleigh Tamland iE, Class 3 with 700x47 tires (but pretty smooth in the middle). Probably my favorite e-bike, but I don't get to ride it too much. My wife and I usually ride together and the Raleigh gives me a truly unfair advantage.

Although this morning pretty much the first thing she said to me is "you are riding really slow this morning." Thanks for that! I hit the button and switched to music. :)

I'm running a Giant Revolt E+, which came with 700x45 tires and could easily fit larger. No suspension fork (which is a selling point for me, but totally get that a lot of people want the suspension fork).

When I was shopping, the choices were basically the Giant, the Bulls or the Yamaha Wabash. I don't think Raleigh listed the Tamland anymore when I was shopping. Trek has a cross e-bike, but seemed to be phasing out (low stock, no replacement). Its a booming segment in the non-e world, so a little weird that its so neglected on the electric side.

As I recall, the dealer said the bike could accommodate tires as wide as 45c or maybe 46c. And for what it’s worth, the suspension fork does lock up.

I personally have a Bulls Grinder Evo, which is a Class 3 aluminum frame ebike with the Bosch gen 3 Speed motor. It has 700c wheels with 40c tires and a SunTour suspension fork. It weighs 52 lbs, so it’s not as sporty as this Cannondale, but it still is a nice, fast and comfortable ride, especially with the Kinekt seatpost I just installed.
I really like the Grinder Evo, but I didn't realize it was 52 pounds! :oops:

Back