Orbea Keram SUV 20 gravel rail trail towing dog trailer, light touring and 100 km road rides?

warek437

Region
Australia
Hi All
I am looking for a ebike for road rides up to 100 kms and gravel roads and rail trails, and towing dog trailer, which will weigh 35 kgs. My weight is around 98 kgs. I have no plans to ride rough MTB single track. Rail trail rides are usually up to 50 kms with dog, but I also ride weekly road rides of 100 km on light racing bike and finding it harder and am keeping away from hilly courses as I get older and slower. I am thinking that with a ebike I would also use that on hillier 100 km road rides.

Just spoke with dealer who can get the above bike second hand with 500 kms use. It has 12 speed cassette, suntour air fork, bosch performance line CX motor 500 wh bosch battery and the fittings have been added for an additional frame mount 500 wh second battery. Heavy duty front rack 15 kg capacity and rear rack 25 kg .

I was originally thinking of Trek Allant + 7 or +8 or Specialized Vado/Como or Riese Muller Nevo or Charger/roadster.
It is not a bargain as it will cost close to 7000 AUD with the additional 500 watt battery. Trek Allant 8 is $5600 adn Specialized VAdo 4 is 6600. CAn get demo (46 kms) RM Roadster for 6000.

Wondering if the Orbea is too capable and too good for my rail trail usage intended usage and still too slow for hilly 100 km road rides?

Tthanks for any feedback

Attached is a picture an full specifications
Motor: BOSCH Performance CX Cruise (25km/h)
Battery: BOSCH Performance 500Wh
Display: BOSCH Performance Purion
Charger:Compact Charger 2A
Frame:Orbea Keram, Hydroformed Alloy 6061, Hide out battery technology, bottle cage and dual battery compatible and hidden kickstand compatible
Fork:SR Suntour XCR34 LO R Air 100mm Q15x110 Boost
Crankset:PW EB04-NW32 G4
Headset:Acros Alloy 1-1/8 – 1-1/2″ Integrated
Handlebar:OC1 Flat 31.8mm 740mm
Stem:Alloy 31.8mm interface 7º
Shifters:Shimano Deore M6100
Brakes:Shimano MT200 Hydraulic Disc
Cassette:Sun Race CSMZ80 11-51t 12-Speed Metallic E-bike
Chain:KMC e12 Turbo Silver
Wheels:Mach1 Klixx 23c Tubeless Ready
Tyres:Schwalbe Johnny Watts, 29×2.35 RaceGuard Reflective Tape
Seatpost:Alloy 31.6x400mm Offset 0
Saddle:Selle Royal Vivo
Front Carrier:Orbea Keram Oversize Alloy Front Carrier (Max:15Kg)
Rear Carrier:Orbea Keram Oversize Alloy Rear Carrier (Max:25Kg)
Mudguard:CURANA Apollo 65mm
Front Light:Lezyne Ebike POWER HB STVZO E550 inverted position with remote, Go Pro mount, 310 lumens, High intensity 510 lumens( NO STVZO)
Rear Light:Spanninga Lineo
Lock:Abus Bordo alarm 6000A+battery downtube lock PLUS
Quick stand:Ursus Mooi rear adjustable

Attachments

• Orbea-Keram-SUV-20.jpg
    Orbea-Keram-SUV-20.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 196
That looks like a nice bike. It will work well for gravel and trailer pulling. I have a pretty similar Haibike trekking model (although mine assists up to 28mph). Love it, but if you are used to a light road bike it is a different experience.

If you are able to test ride an Allant it should be reasonably similar to the Orbea in terms of ride feel and assist.

Blackhand

Thanks for the reply. I also have an old heavy steel touring bike, non electric so have some experience at cruising along enjoying the scenery.

i can find very little about this model on the Internet, but it will be available for an extended test ride.

Have a good day

kevin

Ideal for touring and towing trailer. Just make sure your trailer supports axle on bike.
See video on touring with dog trailer.

Considering you are trying replace road bike an electric gravel bike might be good alternative. Easy to ride above the 25kmhr assist cutoff which means 100km shouldn't be problem. If you want to tow dog any distance will need extra battery or 2. The gravel bikes also have reasonable gear range to help cope to is extra weight.

Thanks for the replies, yes the bike comes with an 11-51 12 speed rear cassette and has the fitting installed for extra 500 wh frame mount battery giving 1000wh in total. Additional battery will add 1200 AUD to bike cost.
Thanks for trailer link. The Burley tail wagon is the one we have also, and bike shop says it will work with rear wheel, I do not know if axle is thru axle or quick release but rear hub is boost 148 according to bike specs. I have been recommended to use a roberts axle project axle replacement if needed.
Minor consideration with bike is basic shimano brakes, I prefer 180 mm rotors min with 4 piston, but can be upgraded later if they are nor satisfactory.

Could not find any Trek Ebikes in stock, in my size. I spoke with Cube about the 2022 Kathmandu exe 750, looks like an excellent bike and it is cheaper new than the Orbea and a single 750 WH battery would probably suffice for a day trip, but none in Australia in large size, and none expected to arrive in 2022.

There is another option Riese Muller, Nevo, Roadster, Challenger all 8000-1000 AUD, hard to get but can be custom ordered and arrives in 3 months, some stock in Australia

A more affordable option is the Focus Aventua 6.8, 2022 model that now comes with 750 WH battery and Bosch performance line CX and there are some in large or available soon on back order the price is around 6800 AUD

Thanks for the feedback and have a good day

Kevin

Back