Canada to restrict class 3 ebikes to 20mph

Whose to blame? Blame is such a negative, accusatory word. Above all else I feel bad for all owners of Stromers. Everyone is to 'blame'. Governments allowed these bikes that were designed to be ridden on the road to be imported and sold. This practice was allowed even after formal ebike regulations were put in place. Manufacturers exported bikes to countries where they were illegal and dealers sold them to customers, they did so knowing the bikes weren't legal and I doubt they warned consumers. Consumers, having done their due diligence, should have known.

I place the lion share of the blame on governments allowing illegal ebikes to be imported and sold. Most of you remember lawn darts and 3 wheel ATV's. When governments decided they couldn't be sold, they disappeared. They didn't make owners put a fourth wheel on the 3 wheelers. Seems like the fair thing to do would be to limit new sales to meet regulations.
Amen. I've always been a bit perplexed by these legal loop holes.

For example electric scooters - the stand up variety, not E-mopeds - are illegal to ride on public property here in NSW, Australia. Riders caught can be subject to thousands of dollars in fines. And yet they're sold in many stores all over the state. What does the government expect people are going to do with them? Ride them up and down the driveway or in circles on their balcony?

Feels like the government is having their cake and eating it too with import duties and then traffic violation fines. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A guy named Morris had the initials M.M.M; so we called him M cubed. He was a 3-D guy and not a two-dimensional personality, stuck on one topic who can't think outside the box.
1670024003775.jpeg

Last edited:
Did I miss the post where it explains how an update is done to an ebike "over the air"? I don't have a "smart" ebike -- I don't have "smart" anything in my house. Except my laptop will get those danged Windows updates without my permission. But it is connected to the internet. Are these Stromer ebikes connected to the internet? Do you have to have Bluetooth enabled in order to ride? I guess I don't understand how it is done...

Did I miss the post where it explains how an update is done to an ebike "over the air"? I don't have a "smart" ebike -- I don't have "smart" anything in my house. Except my laptop will get those danged Windows updates without my permission. But it is connected to the internet. Are these Stromer ebikes connected to the internet? Do you have to have Bluetooth enabled in order to ride? I guess I don't understand how it is done...
Although I do not know myself, I thought I read that the Stromer has a SIM card like a smartphone to connect to the cell network.

There is a good story somewhere in this Forum...

That anti theft Stromer is the good side of external control.
It can bite you in the butt though…
Did a 74 mile ride and at the end at ice cream social I moved the bike 40 feet to another spot.
Bike was off and it went into theft mode…. Rear wheel gets locked by intentional motor resistance
and I didn’t have code number on me to release🙁
4 block lift rear , push , rest, repeat. Load in car.
Then it strikes me….if that had happened 35 miles out at rest stop, that would have really sucked.

and I didn’t have code number on me to release
It was his problem, not the Stromer's?
I generally am against any "anti-theft mode" as I know myself and am sure my e-bike would prevent me from stealing my own e-bike :) Still, the story of the NY guy was one of the best I have ever read here!

After consideration and technical analysis with some technical friends, I think we have a solution for some of the Canadian Stromer owners.

If you managed to turn off your Canadian based Stromer, before November 30th, 2022 to avoid the forced Canadian firmware and your bike remains off, this may work out for you. Kill the SIM card, before turning on your Stromer. The Stromer OMNI-C controller is based on a Sierra Wireless radio model HL-8548. There is an embedded SIM card (eSIM) that you can find on the board. There are many YouTube videos out there that can show you how to heat up the SIM to soften the top and pull out the SIM. This should leave the Radio intact, looking for a cel tower, without an IEMI/SIM to authenticate on the network.

Upon more consideration of this possible fix, it made me think of something as an owner of two Stromers. We should be able to ”opt out” of any connectivity for my ebike. If you do not want to be tracked, the dealer should be able to disconnect any ebike from cellular connectivity upon delivery. It’s a basic right to ask not to be tracked, however, this would also discontinue the alarm service that is included from Stromer and no ÔTA OS updates would be possible, unless you could toggle the SIM service on and off manually for software updates only. If you want to track your own bike without Stromer knowing, just use an Apple AirTag or TILE system, as you wish.

I am considering my options moving forward, I look forward to hearing if anyone out there killed their eSIM and if their Stromer continues to work well without cellular connectivity, which I assume will be fine without a SIM. I heard from a friend this week, that a Canadian owner of a new ST1x was throttled down to 32 Kph on Nov 30th, as he was on a ride! The bike “just started offering less assist” during the ride and he called the dealer to find out about the ÔTA update was today… poor guy and he had just bought the bike.

Any other Canadian Stromer owners running into problems, been affected or are looking for a fix? Please post! Keep your Stromers OFF, until a fix is found. More news shortly.

Attachments

• 98546629-E72A-4EFD-A740-D12AB45351BB.png
    98546629-E72A-4EFD-A740-D12AB45351BB.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 129
After consideration and technical analysis with some technical friends, I think we have a solution for some of the Canadian Stromer owners.

If you managed to turn off your Canadian based Stromer, before November 30th, 2022 to avoid the forced Canadian firmware and your bike remains off, this may work out for you. Kill the SIM card, before turning on your Stromer. The Stromer OMNI-C controller is based on a Sierra Wireless radio model HL-8548. There is an embedded SIM card (eSIM) that you can find on the board. There are many YouTube videos out there that can show you how to heat up the SIM to soften the top and pull out the SIM. This should leave the Radio intact, looking for a cel tower, without an IEMI/SIM to authenticate on the network.

Upon more consideration of this possible fix, it made me think of something as an owner of two Stromers. We should be able to ”opt out” of any connectivity for my ebike. If you do not want to be tracked, the dealer should be able to disconnect any ebike from cellular connectivity upon delivery. It’s a basic right to ask not to be tracked, however, this would also discontinue the alarm service that is included from Stromer and no ÔTA OS updates would be possible, unless you could toggle the SIM service on and off manually for software updates only. If you want to track your own bike without Stromer knowing, just use an Apple AirTag or TILE system, as you wish.

I am considering my options moving forward, I look forward to hearing if anyone out there killed their eSIM and if their Stromer continues to work well without cellular connectivity, which I assume will be fine without a SIM. I heard from a friend this week, that a Canadian owner of a new ST1x was throttled down to 32 Kph on Nov 30th, as he was on a ride! The bike “just started offering less assist” during the ride and he called the dealer to find out about the ÔTA update was today… poor guy and he had just bought the bike.

Any other Canadian Stromer owners running into problems, been affected or are looking for a fix? Please post! Keep your Stromers OFF, until a fix is found. More news shortly.
Sounds good! I hope this works for you.
Have you done it or are you waiting to see if it works for others before trying?

Shouldn't Stromer charge a low 799$ fee for their owners to enable them to change their CA address to a temporary US address ? Seems only the ebikes connected to a canadian address will
be affected.

Optional : 1599$ Platinium permanent address change .

ENABLE PPAC ?
Press yes/yes.

US Stromer ST5 for sale. Only 500 miles.
Golden US address included😀
$5,400
See want ads.
28 mph
Minnesota but can deliver close to Canadian entry city….
It does suck that Stromer is now forced to comply with crazy CA law. 🙁

Attachments

• 97ADF564-C9DE-4B2F-9FBB-C51328F09595.jpeg
    97ADF564-C9DE-4B2F-9FBB-C51328F09595.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 123
I wonder about just shielding the SIM. I was thinking it was more like death rays from space. Canada is so huge that there must be many unpopulated areas without cell service where the bikes would continue to work just fine.
1670093764924.jpeg

Back