bosch nyon 2021 release date

If I had to pay for custom assist modes with a Specialized or a Giant e-bike...

I guess I’m a bit confused why it’s my tree you’re barking up on this topic. I’m not exactly a fan that Bosch did it this way, and I’m not interested enough in custom assist modes to shell out the 5$ for it either. But at least one person did seem curious if there would be problems for US customers, so I did mention it. But don’t take my comments as me being interested in defending Bosch, or endorsing their behavior. I’m not interested in getting dragged into a debate on this, and this is the last I’ll say on the topic.

Only $5?
Sorry. No issue.
I wonder if Bosch isn't just "testing the waters" here. Seems silly to charge $5 ea. for those 2 features on a $360 head unit. My guess is they will see great uptake at those prices (I'm sure I'll do it) and then creep the price up for future units & upgrades. (They might also drop the price on the units but I doubt it. Dropping a unit from $360 to $330 and charging more for the options in the hopes that you'll sell more units doesn't probably make sense. They know demand from this target demo is fairly inelastic.)

Interesting. My 2019 Domane+ is in the LBS for a frame replacement under warranty. Since it came with a Purion controller, if they put it back together like it was originally built, I think they will have to do the whole rewire thing if I buy the new Nyon. If they have any idea when the new Nyon might be delivered, I could ask them to rebuild with it. Maybe if they have a spare Kiox sitting around they could wire it with a Kiox. I understand that Kiox => Nyon is plug & play which would avoid a rewire. I'd happily pay for the Nyon when they order it or rebuild the bike if that helps.

My guess is that will end up being too logical to actually happen and I'll get my bike back with the Purion and the Nyon will arrive the next day!!!
Not sure, but I think they may have wired it up for plug & play for Nyon when it arrives. I haven't ridden it since getting it back, but the Purion mount looks to be different and out in front of the handlebars rather than just right of center and directly above the handlebar like I think it used to be from when I bought it. They also charged me for the unit when I picked up the bike which would be unusual since it is not in stock yet. Fingers crossed that when it arrives I can swing by the shop and click it into place. Will report back.

I wonder if Bosch isn't just "testing the waters" here. Seems silly to charge $5 ea. for those 2 features on a $360 head unit. My guess is they will see great uptake at those prices (I'm sure I'll do it) and then creep the price up for future units & upgrades. (They might also drop the price on the units but I doubt it. Dropping a unit from $360 to $330 and charging more for the options in the hopes that you'll sell more units doesn't probably make sense. They know demand from this target demo is fairly inelastic.)
Jan 2016, 6 Euro's:

Not sure, but I think they may have wired it up for plug & play for Nyon when it arrives. I haven't ridden it since getting it back, but the Purion mount looks to be different and out in front of the handlebars rather than just right of center and directly above the handlebar like I think it used to be from when I bought it. They also charged me for the unit when I picked up the bike which would be unusual since it is not in stock yet. Fingers crossed that when it arrives I can swing by the shop and click it into place. Will report back.

My understanding is that the Purion’s wiring is integrated into the control/display? If that’s the case, you’d still need a motor drop and a new cable run.

I'm going to upgrade my Purion display to a Nyon in the near future. I've been told that to switch from Purion to Nyon new wire(s) are needed and the motor will have to be lowered.

I'm going to upgrade my Purion display to a Nyon in the near future. I've been told that to switch from Purion to Nyon new wire(s) are needed and the motor will have to be lowered.
yep my bulls it was a pain they had to tear the front end of the bile part to get the wires through.

On my Trek Powerfly I was able to unplug the Intuvia cable from the motor and, having released the relevant cable clamps running up the side of the battery mounts, tied a nylon cord securely to the cable plug and pulled out out. Then, using the same cord, pulled the new Nyon cable back down. A bit fiddly, but managed it without dropping the motor.

Hello!

Purion and Intuvia both use their own specific wiring, so any change to or from Purion or Intuvia will require running a new cable down to the drive unit.

Kiox, Smartphonehube, and new Nyon all use the same wiring harness and remote, so any swapping between these (3) just requires the new head unit and it's corresponding mount. All wiring is a quick and easy swap. [info added on 3/8/21: Check with your local shop before ordering... the price of the full Retrofit Kit may not be far off from the price of the display + individual mounting parts. This info may vary based on display model, etc. In other words, though you won't need new cable/remote for swapping between these (3), it may make sense to get the full kit.]

@Kaiede The new Nyon mount is designed to be reversible... your shop can quickly and easy change the orientation so that the mount angles back towards you, rather than farther out in front of your bars. Take a look at the Nyon mounting plate on the right side of my image below... you'll see (4) mounting holes on the corners. These are what secure it to the plastic, angled mount.

HMI x 3.jpg

Last edited:
@Kaiede The new Nyon mount is designed to be reversible... your shop can quickly and easy change the orientation so that the mount angles back towards you, rather than farther out in front of your bars. Take a look at the Nyon mounting plate on the right side of my image below... you'll see (4) mounting holes on the corners. These are what secure it to the plastic, angled mount.

I should have thought of that when I noticed the mounting plate was separate from the rest of the mount. That certainly looks like it’d bring it back a couple centimeters, which would help. I’ll give it a try.

When it comes to bug reports for the eBike Connect app/portal, where’s a good place to send them? Now that I’m using the app, I’m starting to find rough edges where things get a little goofy.

Kiox, Smartphonehube, and new Nyon all use the same wiring harness and remote, so any swapping between these (3) just requires the new head unit and it's corresponding mount. All wiring is a quick and easy swap.

It seems like there’s an opportunity to bring this wiring harness and remote to a new model of Intuivia at some point. :)

Just wanted to follow up and say that reversing the mount was exactly what I needed, and brings the Nyon right where I want it. Clever bit of engineering work there. :)

After spending more time with it, I like it. The recording ability of rides is reliable, and the metrics through eBike Connect is "good enough" for my riding that I don't really care about Strava, but I can see how it might not quite scratch the itch for some folks. Komoot route importing works well, and as far as I can tell, are about as close to first-class citizens on the Nyon as I can expect. Plenty of metrics to track, and never really felt like I'm missing anything. If anything, it's easy to get yourself into information overload.

The downsides are that navigation comes up pretty slowly, however it's not completely out of line with the Garmin Edge, and the Nyon is still usable while it comes up, which helps. Other downside is that the screen configuration can feel a little limiting at a max of 6 tiles per screen, and no way that I could find to put a screen to the left of the default startup screen. So it can take some time to figure out what's important to you so you can cut down on how often you use left/right on the controller while riding.

Hi all, does anyone know if, with a new Nyon 2020/21 if you have Custom Rides paid for & enabled, with eMTB enabled do you get:
Off, Eco, Tour, eMTB, Turbo and then all the Custom Ride modes. Does Custom #3 become special or anything like that?

Hi all, does anyone know if, with a new Nyon 2020/21 if you have Custom Rides paid for & enabled, with eMTB enabled do you get:
Off, Eco, Tour, eMTB, Turbo and then all the Custom Ride modes. Does Custom #3 become special or anything like that?
When you go into Nyon's options menu > My eBike > Riding Modes > you then have the option of either Standard (eco, tour, etc) or Custom (Modes 1,2,3,4, at the settings you created on the Bosch eBike Connect app). You will still have just 4 modes, whichever you choose.

I don’t think I can completely answer your question, but I have been playing with them. The Nyon stores both the standard and custom ride modes, allowing you to toggle between them without having to sync. So there doesn’t seem to be any overlap, and I wouldn’t expect eMTB to bleed over into the custom modes. You can even technically swap between them during a ride, but it shuts off the assist when you swap between the standard and custom modes.

I need to spend more time figuring out what is different between custom and standard modes. It seems like I can’t exactly replicate the standard modes using them, which seems odd. It’d make sense if there was more variation in the assist when using the standard modes than the manual lets on, but I may be imagining things. But if I’m not, then it suggests that the logic backing custom ride modes is separate enough from standard ride modes that it’s even less likely eMTB would bleed into the custom ride modes. It may be that eMTB and Sport are actually using the same logic, but with different parameters, while custom ride modes use separate logic and parameters.

there is no overlap between the preset ride modes and the custom modes.
You have five assist points to play with in each of the four custom modes:

1 - Assist percentage at start 0mph
5 - Assist percentage at max speed 20mph/34kph or 28mph/45kph
2,3,4 interim assist level change to define assist level curve.

Here is a screen shot of my current custom ride modes on my 2018 Riese & Muller Delite Mountain with the Bosch CX motor in the USA with a maximum assist to 20mph.

nyon custom modes.jpg

I thought we might be seeing some eBay sales of discounted left-over 8 GB versions of the original Nyon. That is how many of us got our 1 GB Nyons when Bosch upgraded to the 8 GB version. But so far it hasn't happened.

Back