bosch nyon 2021 release date

I just bought the Bosch nyon 2021 and regret replacing my smartphone hub with it. First and foremost, the USB port was a dummy. It does not charge any phone. Secondly, unlike the smartphone hub that has a feature which shows total mileage rode with your bike, the nyon does not have that option. Thirdly, nyon does not connect with Apple Watch.

To me this is asking for a twin turbo V-8 engine, heated leather seats, full electronics package, Bose sound system, with all the trimmings in the least expensive sub compact car in the line up, when everything you are asking for already exists in higher end models.

Why not just buy the display package that already does all the things you are asking for, instead of asking for added features to the baseline product and driving its cost up?
Because every serious MTBer with Bosch's twin V-8 engine (CX) wants a Nyon on their bike to access Custom Ride modes?
And because of the displays being fragmented as they are, an ideal touring setup would require a Smartphonehub as one does not know in advance what Bosch has paid for in services from OpenStreetMaps, Google, whoever on the Nyon, so your existing mapping s/ware may be the go but of course there's no Custom Ride Modes on the Smartphonehub nor Rohloff E14 support.
And you may change phones often and prefer a personally tailored 5 button sequence to lock & unlock the bike instead.

I just bought the Bosch nyon 2021 and regret replacing my smartphone hub with it. First and foremost, the USB port was a dummy. It does not charge any phone. Secondly, unlike the smartphone hub that has a feature which shows total mileage rode with your bike, the nyon does not have that option. Thirdly, nyon does not connect with Apple Watch.
The usb port is not a dummy. It is there for diagnostics and firmware updates. It is just as easy and charges way faster to bring along a small battery bank if your phone needs charging. I have a nice flashing rechargeable headlight that also has a 5,000mAh battery bank with a USB outlet. Why suck power from your bike battery when it is better used to actually move the bike? I also don't like using integrated lights for that reason.

It absolutely does show bike total mileage as a display field option on a custom screen. You just have not fully explored it yet. Dig around a little more.

What purpose is served to connect a watch to the unit? It already has all the sensors it needs internally except heart rate monitor and a Polar Oh1 or H10 works just fine for that. You should know by now that Apple does not play well with others. Result: many "others" just don't bother to try anymore.

Because every serious MTBer with Bosch's twin V-8 engine (CX) wants a Nyon on their bike to access Custom Ride modes?
And because of the displays being fragmented as they are, an ideal touring setup would require a Smartphonehub as one does not know in advance what Bosch has paid for in services from OpenStreetMaps, Google, whoever on the Nyon, so your existing mapping s/ware may be the go but of course there's no Custom Ride Modes on the Smartphonehub nor Rohloff E14 support.
And you may change phones often and prefer a personally tailored 5 button sequence to lock & unlock the bike instead.
Never wanted a smart phone hub. Using your $1,000 phone as a display for a bike seems like a silly, if not foolish solution. I know some folks want their phone to do everything but it can't do everything as well as dedicated, integrated, purpose designed devices.

Too many tales of screws coming loose and expensive phones jarring loose, flying down the road or bouncing through rock piles.

My Trek Allant came with the smart phone hub, which I had removed and replaced with the Intuvia mount, which accepts and shares wiring with the original Nyon, before I even rode it. Problem solved, decent mapping, great custom screen choices, heart rate always available and visible, largely seamless connectivity via bluetooth & Wifi, Custom Ride Modes, deep, ride data storage for free,

Never wanted a smart phone hub. Using your $1,000 phone as a display for a bike seems like a silly, if not foolish solution. I know some folks want their phone to do everything but it can't do everything as well as dedicated, integrated, purpose designed devices.
Instead for a touring setup you have a Nyon as you want Custom Ride Modes & Rohloff E14, you can't put your own special Topographic/whatever maps on the Nyon, does it use OpenStreetMaps?
Instead you have OsmAnd+ on your phone to supplement it's own OpenStreetMaps with your own or some other app, get a phone holder on your handlebars but you also have to rig up another holder for a powerbank as the Nyon can't keep your phone topped up.
:)

Instead for a touring setup you have a Nyon as you want Custom Ride Modes & Rohloff E14, you can't put your own special Topographic/whatever maps on the Nyon, does it use OpenStreetMaps?
Instead you have OsmAnd+ on your phone to supplement it's own OpenStreetMaps with your own or some other app, get a phone holder on your handlebars but you also have to rig up another holder for a powerbank as the Nyon can't keep your phone topped up.
:)
You talking to me???? I already said that I do not use my phone as a navigation device on my bike. There are two things I might use it for while riding...music and as a phone. I ride with it in my pocket almost always. I also have E-14 on only one of our four bikes.

As for the adequacy of the integrated mapping on the Nyon, I will leave that to others who are more into the minutia of riding with maps. I rarely use mapping during rides. When I do I use google maps on my computer to create the route for a bike and then save it as a PDX file, upload it to my ebike-connect account and the new route is automatically synched to my Nyon via wifi. I really don't get any deeper into the weeds of mapping than that, so I am perfectly content with what the Nyon provides.

I already mentioned in #103 how I deal with the occasional need to recharge my phone which does not happen often as I am not using any screen always on apps while riding. Here is a link to that light which I highly recommend.

You talking to me???? I already said that I do not use my phone as a navigation device on my bike. There are two things I might use it for while riding...music and as a phone. I ride with it in my pocket almost always. I also have E-14 on only one of our four bikes.
Just trying to get you to see other use cases for other people, not you.
And how the fragmentation of features across displays affect outcomes.
At the same time giving Bosch some hints.

Last edited:
Just trying to get you to see other use cases for other people, not you.
And how the fragmentation of features across displays affect outcomes.
At the same time giving Bosch some hints.
I see the other use cases. I also see that Bosch already has most of them covered with four different display choices currently available. I get it that the more sophisticated ones cost more money. However, what I am trying to get you to see is that turning a Purion into a mini Nyon will surely raise it's cost and lower cost is one of its clear virtues.

I see the other use cases. I also see that Bosch already has most of them covered with four different display choices currently available. I get it that the more sophisticated ones cost more money. However, what I am trying to get you to see is that turning a Purion into a mini Nyon will surely raise it's cost and lower cost is one of its clear virtues.
Bosch's profit after tax in 2019 was about 2 billion Euro's.
No hardware would have to be changed on the displays. It's only for some core features.
Purely software changes.
Let's say 10 software developers working for 2 month's on it (large over estimate) would cost less than 110,000- Euros, likely to be much less.
That's 110 thousand less Euros the charities that Bosch gives it's money to in 2021 would receive in exchange for pleasing a portion of what must be a massive number of existing Bosch ebike users that have non-Nyon displays and don't want a Nyon display (don't want a touch screen, too large, distraction, etc).
People that would like a lock feature (button combo for older displays, 2 options for newer displays), Custom ride modes (new to Kiox & Smartphonehub as well) & some other info that's already available via the CAN bus on their ebikes.
This probably enabling even more brand loyalty.

Bosch Nyon upgrade kits to replace Kiox - now available
Bosch Nyon Retrofit Kit including holder, control unit and Handlebar shims

Bosch Nyon upgrade kits to replace Kiox - now available
Bosch Nyon Retrofit Kit including holder, control unit and Handlebar shims
thanks for costing me money (G)

??? what bike are you going to put that on?
my bulls. there I need to adjust the assist levels. I need to crank up eco a bit or drop down tour. I end up using tour because I can't keep it at 20 in eco. but I end up at 22 or 23 in tour and even though I can put a in a lot more power now I don't really save any battery. even though I went from maybe 150 watts top upto 200 watts I don't really save much battery Now.

my bulls. there I need to adjust the assist levels. I need to crank up eco a bit or drop down tour. I end up using tour because I can't keep it at 20 in eco. but I end up at 22 or 23 in tour and even though I can put a in a lot more power now I don't really save any battery. even though I went from maybe 150 watts top upto 200 watts I don't really save much battery Now.
Is your Bulls a gen 2 or gen 4 motor?

I'll be curious as to your thought on the new versus old model Nyon. There are things I prefer about both of them and would have a hard time declaring a clear winner. I do like the bigger screen on the old one, also it offers a few data points I really like that the new one lacks, like watts per mile (your basic fuel economy metric). The new one has a more vivid but smaller screen, I like the lock feature

Is your Bulls a gen 2 or gen 4 motor?

I'll be curious as to your thought on the new versus old model Nyon. There are things I prefer about both of them and would have a hard time declaring a clear winner. I do like the bigger screen on the old one, also it offers a few data points I really like that the new one lacks, like watts per mile (your basic fuel economy metric). The new one has a more vivid but smaller screen, I like the lock feature
its a gen 2 speed. same as the tandem but that one is not the speed. Ya the big guy is nice wit everything but it takes some getting used too. I think I may have gained maybe 2 to 4 miles now that I can put out more power but not sure. but eco I run out of steam and tour I end up going sometimes too fast to keep up my effort. watts per mile would be good though. well for awhile then you would have the info in your head.

Last edited:
Hmmm, eBay notified me of that listing too. Tempting but I got a decent deal on a Smartphone Hub setup and am testing that now. My verdict is still out on the SPH....if nothing else I'll already have the cable run to the DU and now I know how to remove the cranks, drop the DU, and can remove both battery mount points :)

Anyone else get the OTA software update for their Nyon (MY21) recently? I got it. Haven't had a chance to play with it at all but seemed like some interesting upgrades - including a weather screen?

Much appreciation to Bosch for doing the OTA software update.

Back