bosch nyon 2021 release date

Which bike & what configuration and extra accessories did you order? To what country is the bike being delivered?
It is an aftermarket install on a 2019 Domane+ (currently with Purion head unit).

Ordered by and being delivered to Trek Store in Cincinnati, Ohio.

No clue about any extra accessories available or not. Just told them to order me one.

LBS confirmed that motor needs to be dropped for Purion rewire.

Just heard from my LBS that original expected delivery date of mid-MAR has been pushed back to AUG per his distributor. Disappointing.

Anyone else get an ETA for delivery of a new Nyon?
New Nyon is being installed on my 2020 Superdelite today, R&M has a custom retrofit kit that is available now here in the US

Last edited:
Alleged Bosch Nyon Triage:
1) New Nyon before old Nyon.
2) Bare Nyon, mounting plate, cables before any "Bosch Nyon Upgrade kit".
3) German customers before any other country.
4) Riese & Müller before any other customers.

:)

Unfortunately, Nyon has been delayed by the global chip shortage caused by COVID. There are likely some other smaller factors too, but I think this is the biggest one. I don't know the exact details, but I do know it is affecting many industries that rely on SMDs for their products.

My understanding is that there was an initial batch of Nyon that supplied the OEM production lines, and then a second batch for aftermarket kits, etc. This second batch is the one that is currently delayed. A few aftermarket kits and Nyon headunits made it to the distributors, likely as overflow from OEM orders, but that's it. I'm not 100% on the details here, but the overall essence should be accurate.

A couple of days ago I phoned a local ebike store that sells a lot of Bosch powered ebikes to see if they had any Nyons in stock.
They did, but the total cost to get my Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3 converted from a Purion display to a Nyon was a real shocker.
Prices are in Canadian funds:
Nyon display: $500
Install: 1 to 3 hours @ $80 per hour. (I'll guesstimate around 2 hours for $160)
Taxes: 12%
Total: Around $740 o_O
I think I'll stick with my Purion.

Hey U.S. folks, a limited run of our Nyon Aftermarket kits just hit open inventory at our service partner, QBP. I'd highly recommend calling your shop ASAP to have them order immediately. These will not last long.

Cheers 🤠

That’s a bunch! Be nice if Bosch would do a trade in.
Actually that is a very competitive price for what you get. A decent Garmin gps mapping unit base price is $300 then you have to buy mounts, cables and sensors. The information you get out of a Nyon about your bike, its power use, your performance, fitness and effort is way more than Garmin offers and by the time you get done installing it with the extra sensors, you will be paying considerably more.

Last edited:
Hey U.S. folks, a limited run of our Nyon Aftermarket kits just hit open inventory at our service partner, QBP. I'd highly recommend calling your shop ASAP to have them order immediately. These will not last long.

Cheers 🤠
Thanks for the heads up. I just emailed my LBS and may call them when they open just to elevate the urgency.

That’s a bunch! Be nice if Bosch would do a trade in.

That's a cool idea!

Most shops I've worked at in the past have offered some sort of trade-in or component exchange program when buying a new bike. It wouldn't be anything from Bosch or the OEM though, due to the nature of the business/supplier relationships. I've also only heard of this on new bikes, as it's more difficult/risky for shops to sell used components for safety reasons, etc.

Example: Customer is getting new bike, but wants to upgrade the wheels. Shops offers a percentage of the existing wheels value towards new wheels of their choice. Varies by shop, but fairly common. I've seen this with drive trains, suspension forks, etc.

I've heard of shops doing this with Bosch chargers as well... customer buys eBike with a 2A, but wants to upgrade to a 4A.

For anyone interested, I recommend talking with your local shop of choice and see what they can do for you.

That's a cool idea!

Most shops I've worked at in the past have offered some sort of trade-in or component exchange program when buying a new bike. It wouldn't be anything from Bosch or the OEM though, due to the nature of the business/supplier relationships. I've also only heard of this on new bikes, as it's more difficult/risky for shops to sell used components for safety reasons, etc.

Example: Customer is getting new bike, but wants to upgrade the wheels. Shops offers a percentage of the existing wheels value towards new wheels of their choice. Varies by shop, but fairly common. I've seen this with drive trains, suspension forks, etc.

I've heard of shops doing this with Bosch chargers as well... customer buys eBike with a 2A, but wants to upgrade to a 4A.

For anyone interested, I recommend talking with your local shop of choice and see what they can do for you.
Can’t imagine my little shop having any interest in doing that. What is a lightly used Purion good for at that point anyway? It would be interesting if you could update the firmware to add things like cadence, etc.

Actually that is a very competitive price for what you get. A decent Garmin gps mapping unit base price is $300 then you have to buy mounts, cables and sensors. The information you get out of a Nyon about your bike, its power use, your performance, fitness and effort is way more than Garmin offers and by the time you get done installing it with the extra sensors, you will be paying considerably more.
If you base these prices on a comparison with Garmin product pricing then perhaps consider this:
You pay a premium for Garmin products for the name, design & are of quality manufacture.
You also pay a premium for Bosch ebike products for the same reasons above.
Problem is there's a decent premium for after market products as well as the preliminary premium paid when getting into the eco system in the first place.
for example:

Can’t imagine my little shop having any interest in doing that. What is a lightly used Purion good for at that point anyway? It would be interesting if you could update the firmware to add things like cadence, etc.
Looking back, my post was a little unclear, my apologies. I've never heard of shops taking trade-in credit on used components. In my experience, it's only ever brand new parts off of brand new bikes. This obviously won't help anyone replacing a used display, but may be a great option for someone buying a new bike, and wanting something different than what the OEM decided to spec it with.

I'd love to see more features on the Purion, but I'm pretty sure it's maxed-out in terms of what it is capable of. It doesn't even have a clock/calendar, and most areas of the Purion screen are not configurable (they light up a pre-set symbol or text.)

Looking back, my post was a little unclear, my apologies. I've never heard of shops taking trade-in credit on used components. In my experience, it's only ever brand new parts off of brand new bikes. This obviously won't help anyone replacing a used display, but may be a great option for someone buying a new bike, and wanting something different than what the OEM decided to spec it with.

I'd love to see more features on the Purion, but I'm pretty sure it's maxed-out in terms of what it is capable of. It doesn't even have a clock/calendar, and most areas of the Purion screen are not configurable (they light up a pre-set symbol or text.)
Purion fits a minimalist, barely noticeable use model at a modest price. If you someone wants more robust capabilities, there are other choices that mostly do a good job of filling that need. You can only cram so much useful functionality into a small but legible package that is easy to navigate.

Purion fits a minimalist, barely noticeable use model at a modest price. If you someone wants more robust capabilities, there are other choices that mostly do a good job of filling that need. You can only cram so much useful functionality into a small but legible package that is easy to navigate.
I only mentioned add-ons as a desire to view just a few points of data that I’d bet are present in the 4th Gen Bosch CX motor already. Not wanting to alter mode or specs of any kind.

The Purion & Intuvia were never designed with eMTB in mind, as a result the firmware for the display needed to be changed on both.
The Purion with regards to displaying assist modes would have been an easy change - display eMTB instead of Sport.
The Intuvia is different as it's assist modes are hard wired on the screen, so the Sport display item is turned on (as without eMTB) but extra firmware code added so as to briefly display eMTB on the screen as well.
The size of the firmware code within the Intuvia GREW to allow for eMTB.
The size of the firmware inside the motor GREW to allow detection of "Tampering" & how many "Tampering" incidents have occurred.
I'm sure if the ebike connect app could communicate directly with the USB ports of Purion, Intuvia, Kiox or Smartphonehub then it should not be impossible to add Lock, Cadence & Custom Ride modes to these displays, also firmware updates.
Sure the Lock may behave differently on some displays & motors (not be tied to a phone/whatever), a user defined key combination to lock/unlock for instance, configured with the ebike connect app, using up perhaps 8 bytes (not Kilobytes, not Megabytes) of data memory in the motor or display.
Custom ride modes could be toggled on the Purion & Intuvia by a quick simultaneous press of + & -, the Purion uses a long simultaneous press of + & - to Reset trip distance but neither use a short press + & - combination - using up perhaps 20 bytes of data in the motor (4 modes x 5 check points - 1 byte (256 levels)).
Each time Custom ride modes or ride modes are changed it can flash the word "Custom" briefly, just as the Intuvia does for eMTB.
There may be a limit to how much the firmware can grow within each display & the motor and would be an easy way out if Bosch could not be bothered to do any of the above and what others have been asking for.
And charge up to four times the price for these features when using a Purion or Intuvia, or not at all, i would pay up to four times the price for this and i'm sure many other existing Bosch customers would too.
Not much is impossible with a bit of software.
Or just spend more money on an updated system?

Last edited:
In fact, the short simultaneous press of + & - could be used with the Nyon as well to toggle Custom Ride Modes.
Isn't it a lot more involved than that currently?

The Purion & Intuvia were never designed with eMTB in mind, as a result the firmware for the display needed to be changed on both.
The Purion with regards to displaying assist modes would have been an easy change - display eMTB instead of Sport.
The Intuvia is different as it's assist modes are hard wired on the screen, so the Sport display item is turned on (as without eMTB) but extra firmware code added so as to briefly display eMTB on the screen as well.
The size of the firmware code within the Intuvia GREW to allow for eMTB.
The size of the firmware inside the motor GREW to allow detection of "Tampering" & how many "Tampering" incidents have occurred.
I'm sure if the ebike connect app could communicate directly with the USB ports of Purion, Intuvia, Kiox or Smartphonehub then it should not be impossible to add Lock, Cadence & Custom Ride modes to these displays, also firmware updates.
Sure the Lock may behave differently on some displays & motors (not be tied to a phone/whatever), a user defined key combination to lock/unlock for instance, configured with the ebike connect app, using up perhaps 8 bytes (not Kilobytes, not Megabytes) of data memory in the motor or display.
Custom ride modes could be toggled on the Purion & Intuvia by a quick simultaneous press of + & -, the Purion uses a long simultaneous press of + & - to Reset trip distance but neither use a short press + & - combination - using up perhaps 20 bytes of data in the motor (4 modes x 5 check points - 1 byte (256 levels)).
Each time Custom ride modes or ride modes are changed it can flash the word "Custom" briefly, just as the Intuvia does for eMTB.
There may be a limit to how much the firmware can grow within each display & the motor and would be an easy way out if Bosch could not be bothered to do any of the above and what others have been asking for.
And charge up to four times the price for these features when using a Purion or Intuvia, or not at all, i would pay up to four times the price for this and i'm sure many other existing Bosch customers would too.
Not much is impossible with a bit of software.
Or just spend more money on an updated system?
To me this is asking for a twin turbo V-8 engine, heated leather seats, full electronics package, Bose sound system, with all the trimmings in the least expensive sub compact car in the line up, when everything you are asking for already exists in higher end models.

Why not just buy the display package that already does all the things you are asking for, instead of asking for added features to the baseline product and driving its cost up?

Back