Bosch Motor Bearing Failure

Sparky731

Region
USA
What does a broken motor bearing feel like? I am trying to diagnose a recent "clicking" on engaging or sometimes when coasting. It is a Performance Speed Gen 4 motor. 6,300 miles -- over 90% in Turbo, ridden hard and fast. <2yrs old per warranty.

The motor performs as normal. Just a click and very slight delay on engaging the motor. The click and delay also feels like it could be a broken piece in the centrifugal clutch. The sound is akin to two pieces of metal clapping together -- like a broken sleeve bearing can sound.

It started about a month ago. Took it to a local dealer. They reprimanded me for riding my bike so hard. But they were non-specific as to what the problem is because they have no experience inside the motor housing. Either possibility, there is no grinding, or other sort of noise from the motor.

Took it back to the dealer today -- they are starting the process for a warranty replacement.

Does anyone have experience with what the actual part failure may be?

Bonjour
Oui, j'ai eu le même cas que toi. En absence de pédalage, il y avait un bruit anormal de la roue libre du moteur quand je roulais sur du chemin cabossé. En pédalant, le bruit disparaissait.
J'ai roulé plutot en Eco et Tour+ sur 2800km.
Bosch a fait énormément de difficultés pour prendre le moteur en garantie.
Mais grâce à mon revendeur qui a envoyé des fichiers sonores en comparant mon vélo et un vélo neuf, ils ont fini par demander le retour du moteur pour expertise après 1 mois de discussions.
8 jours plus tard, je reçois un moteur neuf.
J'ai expliqué le problème sur mon site (avec une vidéo d'un utilisateur qui a été enregistrée).
C'est à la fin de cette page Mon site

You should probably expect to replace the motor every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. The Bosch motors bearings are not individually serviceable so you need to replace the whole motor when they fail.

Vous devriez probablement vous attendre à remplacer le moteur tous les 10 000 à 12 000 milles. Les roulements des moteurs Bosch ne sont pas réparables individuellement, vous devez donc remplacer l'ensemble du moteur en cas de panne.
Non, on peut réparer un moteur GEN2 et maintenant un moteur GEN4. Il y a des kits de roulements disponibles.
Quelques pistes sur cette page : mon site

You should probably expect to replace the motor every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. The Bosch motors bearings are not individually serviceable so you need to replace the whole motor when they fail.
I think it depends on how much you ride in the rain or off road in the wet. the gen 2 motors you can buy a whole new side with bearings and gears. dont know if the Gen 4 will have those parts. they also have seal replacements for gen 2 and 4. so far our tandem has 10,000 miles on it and the motor is fine.

Back