Biking days are over.

Al, I'm sorry to hear of your own battle ongoing with cancer. Warm thoughts and prayers are extended your way as well. You've always extended a "helping hand" to any person asking for advice, so it's not surprising how you're looking at this fight of yours, head-on, with a great "get her done" attitude. All the best to you and yours in the coming months as well as to every other person here on this site who are affected one way or another by a life-changing, threatening illness.

These life realities really make the daily snipes and battles, here; over these ebikes, to be the petty minutae that it all really is.

At yesterday's oncology appointment, I received the news I has hoping I wouldn't hear quite so soon.
I've had a slow growing cancer for 14 years now, one that's no longer slow growing. Seems to have morphed into some kind of much faster growing thing, and this sharply narrows the therapeutic options. I'm on the last option. After that, months, not years. Sigh, it's been a fun run...
So terribly sorry to hear of this, @retiredNH I hope you have many, many good or great days remaining, and can find peace.

I'm hesitatating writing this, but maybe you're interested in hearing it. As another facing some pretty serious cancer issues with a similar prognosis (I'm not going to get into details), my advice would be not to throw the towel in too quickly!

Just to share, I've been put on a pretty aggressive chemo plan (by a doctor I enjoy dealing with immensely), and it appears that my formerly fairly aggressive growth has been stopped in it's tracks - at #4 of 6 planned treatments. We'll know better soon after a PET scan (more detailed than a CAT scan) scheduled soon. Still, this form I have been diagnosed with has a nasty habit of returning after being forced into remission just about 100% of the time. It can be knocked down again, but remission won't last as long. Wash, rinse, and repeat until they can't get you into a remission. So, damn sure it's spooky knowing HOW you're going to die, but you STILL DON"T KNOW WHEN. I'm 72, and figure my chance at seeing 80 are pretty damned limited, but what time I have left is something I plan on enjoying - and oh hell yes, that's going to involve some bike riding....

Get mad if you need to, maybe check out some options you haven't checked yet - like a second opinion? Best of luck!! -Al
Damnit, learning of this really stinks, @AHicks. Your posts here got me to join, I always look forward to your insights. Your post sounds somewhat hopeful (and very terrifying), so I am pulling for you and hope for many many years of rewarding experiences - and good health!!!!

Back