Big Specialized price increase

Here in England prices went up by 5% last Autumn, Vados don't seem available but there are a few Creos as they don't seem as popular new or secondhand.
From England ? That explains some things :

I placed an order and left a deposit for a Specialized bike in Oct 2020 - they were never able to deliver even by March 2021 yet they still raised the price and didn't honor the price I had left the deposit on.

I can only say I was horribly disappointed by the way they conduct business. I understand supply chain disruptions during COVID. But it's really disappointing to see a company raise the price on a bike 5 months after you place an order with still no delivery commitment. I had to cancel the order. But IMHO if a bike company will do that before you even purchase there's no telling what shadiness they'll try after you purchase.

I placed an order and left a deposit for a Specialized bike in Oct 2020 - they were never able to deliver even by March 2021 yet they still raised the price and didn't honor the price I had left the deposit on.

I can only say I was horribly disappointed by the way they conduct business. I understand supply chain disruptions during COVID. But it's really disappointing to see a company raise the price on a bike 5 months after you place an order with still no delivery commitment. I had to cancel the order. But IMHO if a bike company will do that before you even purchase there's no telling what shadiness they'll try after you purchase.
Did you bring it up to a rep?

Very interesting. Earlier in this thread or perhaps it was in other similar discussions?, the word was dealers honoring original order prices. There are at least two possibilities, with variations, in your case.

First, dealers are not honoring Specialized price protection. In other words, with price protection orders placed with Specialized prior to the price hike would be shipped at the original price, but the dealer sells at the new price. A variation would be the dealer passes along price protection on customer orders made before the price hike while raising the price on newer orders. Another variation is dealers raise the price on existing inventory pocketing the difference. Not nice, but also generally legal.

The second possibility is that Specialized is not offering price protection so those dealers who are delivering at pre-increase prices are doing so for customer relations eating into their profits. Not all dealers are in a financial position to do that.

I believe these practices are called capitalism.

I believe these practices are called capitalism.
So when your boss at work objects to the way you did something, you just say hey, you chose to hire me, it's capitalism.

When people say 'its capitalism' what they really mean is 'sit down, shut up, accept it and go away.'

It's all about supply and demand. When supply decreases and demand increases prices tend to increase.
The supplier has the right to increase prices and the buyer has the right to not purchase the items at a higher price.
I don't like it, but on the other hand I don't mind it when supply increases and demand decreases and suppliers have to lower their prices to sell their items.

In Canada specialized has increased their prices twice in one year. The aluminum framed Creo I looked at last year has gone up 12%. Even if I wanted to buy a Creo now I wouldn't.

I'm just guessing here but once supply catches up, a big 'factory authorized sale' should happen along with some permanent discounts on the most popular models.
Both Trek and Specialized sell 'dino bikes' for 5 figures that don't even come with pedals, much less a motor and battery. So don't expect a deal on a Creo anytime soon.

So when your boss at work objects to the way you did something, you just say hey, you chose to hire me, it's capitalism.

When people say 'its capitalism' what they really mean is 'sit down, shut up, accept it and go away.'
Nah, I was just being glib. The actual context should have been retail or sales. The catch phrase, “Whatever the market can bear”.

SFebike01, that sucks! I'm so sorry to hear that! I just bought a 2021 Levo Comp on Monday, March 1, that arrived in February, but was ordered before Jan 31. I was able to get the buy it for the old price. Are you sure that your bike shop advocated appropriately on your behalf? As far as I know, your LBS, has a lot of influence in these situations. You're buying the bike from your local bike shop, not Specialized. You shouldn't have to deal with Specialized at all. Either way, what happened to you totally sucks and I'm sorry they did that to you!

It's all about supply and demand. When supply decreases and demand increases prices tend to increase.
The supplier has the right to increase prices and the buyer has the right to not purchase the items at a higher price.
I don't like it, but on the other hand I don't mind it when supply increases and demand decreases and suppliers have to lower their prices to sell their items.

In Canada specialized has increased their prices twice in one year. The aluminum framed Creo I looked at last year has gone up 12%. Even if I wanted to buy a Creo now I wouldn't.
I would struggle to spend money on a Specialized product now. When they screwed me over on my Vado 5 order, I went to Giant and have been very happy. Their actions lately are just confirming my view that they aren't interested in selling stuff to people like me. It's sort of why I have never owned Ping golf equipment.

I own the cheapest ebike Specialized makes. The Como3. It is a great entry level bike, but comes at a premium bike level price. And should come with premium level dealer service.

So far, I am happy to report that both the bike and the dealer have exceeded my expectations, but that isn't always the case on these forums, and I bought depending on the dealer.
My bike link

Last edited:
I happened to screenshot the eBike accessories page last year and noticed that they have put up all the prices on the accessories too. Only good thing is this will hopefully help me sell my Vado 4 due to the price and lack of availability of new ones.

Specialized exec says that we shouldn't expect inventory to return to pre-pandemic levels for at least another year. Sounds like higher prices aren't going anywhere soon.

There is a possibility that as people return to offices in the fall, demand in the US could fall back to pre covid levels. But I don't see that happening for ebikes, or for bikes in general in Europe where they've made significant and durable improvements to bike infrastructure because of the pandemic, while US cities have done a whole lot of nothing.

I guess this means I can keep my beautiful 2015 base model (200W) Turbo until I have either a battery or motor failure. It is in great repair, has the 691Wh Turbo S battery with bluetooth, upgraded brakes, Shimano Deore XT 11-spd (11-42), factory fender kit, Kinekt 2.1 seat post, and new Marathon tires. If I can get one or two more seasons, maybe things will be at a new normal in 2023 or so.
I have a pair of those (2017 models) that I too will keep riding 'till they fail. On one of them the motor stopped reading the control (sensor malfunction?) and my shop says it can't be fixed so it only has Eco mode.
I tried the new vado Sl and Creo but they don't have anywhere near the torque or power I need to do my neighboring hills. So, I'll wait and hope specialized comes up with something like the Canyon E bike.

I have a pair of those (2017 models) that I too will keep riding 'till they fail. On one of them the motor stopped reading the control (sensor malfunction?) and my shop says it can't be fixed so it only has Eco mode.
I tried the new vado Sl and Creo but they don't have anywhere near the torque or power I need to do my neighboring hills. So, I'll wait and hope specialized comes up with something like the Canyon E bike.
MRE, Your LBS saying that your bike can't be repaired doesn't make sense to me? Maybe it will cost too much to fix or maybe your LBS doesn't have the technical know-how to fix it, but rarely is there a problem on a bike that can't be fixed. Your bike is probably out of warranty, but Specialized has a program to repair a bike that's out of warranty. If I were you I'd ask and maybe demand if you have to, that your LBS reaches out to Specialized for help and a solution. If your LBS, really won't help you, then any Specialized dealer can do the same thing. My point is that somewhere out there is someone who will help you repair your bike. The way Specialized works, is that primary customer contact is supposed come from the LBS, but if your LBS is no help, then reach out to Specialized directly. What my LBS told me is that Specialized has embraced its role in the market place as a premium brand and that one of the qualities of a premium brand is premium service. I know there's lots of folks on this forum who disagree about this, but for you, give a try. Seriously, you have absolutely nothing to lose! Here's the Specialized webpage about out of warranty repair: https://support.specialized.com/hom...-for-a-warranty-is-there-a-program-to-help-me

MRE, Your LBS saying that your bike can't be repaired doesn't make sense to me? Maybe it will cost too much to fix or maybe your LBS doesn't have the technical know-how to fix it, but rarely is there a problem on a bike that can't be fixed. Your bike is probably out of warranty, but Specialized has a program to repair a bike that's out of warranty. If I were you I'd ask and maybe demand if you have to, that your LBS reaches out to Specialized for help and a solution. If your LBS, really won't help you, then any Specialized dealer can do the same thing. My point is that somewhere out there is someone who will help you repair your bike. The way Specialized works, is that primary customer contact is supposed come from the LBS, but if your LBS is no help, then reach out to Specialized directly. What my LBS told me is that Specialized has embraced its role in the market place as a premium brand and that one of the qualities of a premium brand is premium service. I know there's lots of folks on this forum who disagree about this, but for you, give a try. Seriously, you have absolutely nothing to lose! Here's the Specialized webpage about out of warranty repair: https://support.specialized.com/hom...-for-a-warranty-is-there-a-program-to-help-me
Sadly, my dealer contacted Specialized and the company said they had no more motors or parts for my model. I trust my dealer but did contact Specialized myself and they were no help. I went to the site you referenced but there doesn't seem to be any contact I haven't already made. The site says 5 years on motors but the company has not come through. Thanks for your help but Specialized has let me down.

Sadly, my dealer contacted Specialized and the company said they had no more motors or parts for my model. I trust my dealer but did contact Specialized myself and they were no help. I went to the site you referenced but there doesn't seem to be any contact I haven't already made. The site says 5 years on motors but the company has not come through. Thanks for your help but Specialized has let me down.
This is precisely why I stick with Bosch equipped ebikes, no matter how attractive a bike Specialized produces. Specialized has made Orphans out of their riders in as few as two years with frequent changes to motors and almost immediate lack of parts to service older versions.

Bosch has publicly committed to 7 years of tech support and replacement parts after a motor, battery or any other component is no longer currently sold. The gen 2 moto CX & Speed motors came out in 2016 and were replaced in 2020. That means that they will be supported by Bosch with parts and tech support until 2027.

This is precisely why I stick with Bosch equipped ebikes, no matter how attractive a bike Specialized produces. Specialized has made Orphans out of their riders in as few as two years with frequent changes to motors and almost immediate lack of parts to service older versions.

Bosch has publicly committed to 7 years of tech support and replacement parts after a motor, battery or any other component is no longer currently sold. The gen 2 moto CX & Speed motors came out in 2016 and were replaced in 2020. That means that they will be supported by Bosch with parts and tech support until 2027.
What he said!

Back