Big Specialized price increase

Before you get overexcited PedalUma, think whether you could match this e-bike of the brand we are discussing now in this thread:

1612976344407.png

It is aluminium frame, weight of 32.8 lbs, current Euro price equivalent to US$4400.

Before you get overexcited PedalUma, think whether you could match this e-bike of the brand we are discussing now in this thread:

View attachment 78784
It is aluminium frame, weight of 32.8 lbs, current Euro price equivalent to US$4400.
In the US market, that bike (Vado SL 5 EQ) is now $4750. It was $4500 before the price increase. Mine is Black & Blue and is a great bike. A few weeks ago when I was in my LBS, they still had one in a large. If it's still there, I don't know if they have changed the price tag on it.

This is one of their conversions. Look for weight distribution and handling. That is a 750W BBS02 hanging up in the air out front. This bike also has a rear suspension to bounce the motor in front of the steering from the other end with a heavy battery. Will drivers see it? How about the brakes? Are those clip-in pedals? Thrilling!
Take a look at the other 1,000 conversions... not just a corner case. ;)
https://islandcitybikes.com/past-conversions
https://islandcitybikes.com/bike-conversion-list

In the US market, that bike (Vado SL 5 EQ) is now $4750. It was $4500 before the price increase. Mine is Black & Blue and is a great bike. A few weeks ago when I was in my LBS, they still had one in a large. If it's still there, I don't know if they have changed the price tag on it.
I test rode the Vado 5 Sl as well as the Vado 4 and a Como 4 . All 3 bikes are great . However the Sl when you get into the higher speeds does beat your body up more . Plus I felt at just shy of 6'1" it was a small feeling bike . I picked up the Vado 4 for under 3000.00 . I'm glad I went that way. Especially when I take the shortcut thru a small wooded 2 track. The bike gives you a feeling of stability . I would have waited for a Vado 5 but was told none were in sight for quite awhile . I know the head guy at the LBS. So I speak to him at least once every 2-3 weeks . 6 Months after getting My Vado 4 Still no word on the Vado 5 . Although he has continued to get ordered SL's in . At least 1 sometimes 2 a month .
I got the 500 rebate deal . Only because the Vado 4 I got was ordered during their rebate period . They still gave me teh rebate even though the bike didn't show for 5 months after the fact.

I love the Bike but still think it's way overpriced : And will get more so Once the Biden bump hits a little harder . It's only just begun . Reality sometime blows

Now Treks he's getting quickly . Two of My friends received their Allainat 7 S bikes within 2 weeks of ordering . Pretty sure Trek frames are from China .

Vado SL e-bikes are still available at Specialized Warsaw. I think the price is the result of the currency exchange rates. I'm worried: I won't buy the SL before I demo ride it, and that's not possible now because of weather. If I wait though, someone else can buy these bikes out.

Vado SL e-bikes are still available at Specialized Warsaw. I think the price is the result of the currency exchange rates. I'm worried: I won't buy the SL before I demo ride it, and that's not possible now because of weather. If I wait though, someone else can buy these bikes out.
This idea won’t really help, but having gone from a Cannondale Adventure 1 to the Vado SL 4 I can give set a reasonable expectation. The Vado SL with Eco or Zero assist the ride feels very much the same as the Cannondale. Eco assist deals with the weight difference but the SL is pretty easy to ride without assist on. (With power off there is a small amount of resistance from the motor.)

My natural speed on the Cannondale was about 10-12 MPH. (Natural speed meaning mid gear on flats with no wind, riding with no feeling of significant effort.) On the Vado SL in Eco that speed is 14-16 mph.

As I said, not really helpful.

Actually, it could be easily handled
Having been a citizen of Clark County Nevada I'm very familiar with the "screw Nevada" project for storing power plant waste. I don't see the solutions as easy.

The Vado SL 5.0 EQ is priced at $6800 Cdn. and is as rare as hen’s teeth. For $800 Cdn less you can get yourself a plain jane SL 5.0.

Actually, it could be easily handled- the Fossil Fuel industry will not give up. When "Nukes" were coming of age the FF industry ran as much disinformation as possible, even endorsing PVs( not pulling your leg its true)
Like I told Tom that he ran away from : Nuclear waste is 90% URAINIUM Re-usable over and over

I had a Como 5.0 on my shortlist but that's over now. It went up about $500.
That, and the things I felt I needed to change Day1 put it where it became a hard pass.
With those $$$, other bikes came into play. CN

This is one of their conversions. Look for weight distribution and handling. That is a 750W BBS02 hanging up in the air out front. This bike also has a rear suspension to bounce the motor in front of the steering from the other end with a heavy battery. Will drivers see it? How about the brakes? Are those clip-in pedals? Thrilling!
Well, I will qualify my following statement first by saying I dislike recumbent bikes.
However, that bike is a bloody EYESORE on top of being ridiculous.

CN

What ? Nuclear waste is called Uranium : Where did you get confused ? URANIUM is 90% Plus of Nuclear waste and is 100% Re-usuable . Forever . Just Google it and you'll see . It seems when you respond to me you do so from bias
It's reusable with some processing, but is is simply economically unfeasible. Hence, they just bury it.
Burying it relatively safely is real expensive but a no brainer in comparison to reusing it.
Making it inert is also far too costly.
CN

As the person who began this dialog, can we end it here? If people want to continue talking about global finances, nuclear waste and building your own ebikes, they can they start their own thread in the general ebike section. Much of this is important info, but the dialog has moved on to only being tangentially related to Specialized bikes. Thanks!

It's reusable with some processing, but is is simply economically unfeasible. Hence, they just bury it.
Burying it relatively safely is real expensive but a no brainer in comparison to reusing it.
Making it inert is also far too costly.
CN
where did you get that news . My son in law works at a plant . What you're saying I've never heard . Are you talking about the waste or the uranium which is the majority of teh waste . Which is what they process in the first place. What you said come up in Google research that I see. Could you post that for me. THere's nothing to bury . Almost everything is just re-used . So I have no idea where you got such info . So please post it . Since you can google Nuclear waste and confirm what I said . What you are saying is I'm wrong . So then is google also wrong ?

Last edited by a moderator:
As the person who began this dialog, can we end it here? If people want to continue talking about global finances, nuclear waste and building your own ebikes, they can they start their own thread in the general ebike section. Much of this is important info, but the dialog has moved on to only being tangentially related to Specialized bikes. Thanks!
Yeah I would agree . And when I said the cost of Covid and over the top spending by world govts has forced inflation . My guess would be some companies purchased parts at an older price . Thus haven't increased prices yet . If you haven't noticed there's a certain group of people in the forum that love to argue with whatever I say. Even though I've yet to see one that actually has any facts . If I say left they say right etc. They can't stand hearing facts would be my guess. Which is why your thread was highjacked : Sorry ;

Here in Germany Creo prices are still the same since last summer and there they even went down about 8% for E5 and Comp carbon, as the Creo doesn't seem that popular here.
For the Vado SL there was one increase last summer, but I'm nut sure, if there was another one now.
What about other european countries?
Other Specialzed models I don't know the prices before, so I can't judge these.

Here in England prices went up by 5% last Autumn, Vados don't seem available but there are a few Creos as they don't seem as popular new or secondhand.

Back