Big Specialized price increase

Sadly, my dealer contacted Specialized and the company said they had no more motors or parts for my model. I trust my dealer but did contact Specialized myself and they were no help. I went to the site you referenced but there doesn't seem to be any contact I haven't already made. The site says 5 years on motors but the company has not come through. Thanks for your help but Specialized has let me down.
The 2017's were a pain. The company that made these displays and did the programing and owned the code vanished. That's when Specialized brought it inhouse by 2019. But they own the code and parts and service and can charge whatever they want now. It is like Kodak selling the camera and owning the rights to make the film that goes in it. A new controller costs me $65 and arrives in two days. I have only had to replace one out of dozens of bikes and that because of a user error with the wrong voltage.

This is precisely why I stick with Bosch equipped ebikes, no matter how attractive a bike Specialized produces. Specialized has made Orphans out of their riders in as few as two years with frequent changes to motors and almost immediate lack of parts to service older versions.

Bosch has publicly committed to 7 years of tech support and replacement parts after a motor, battery or any other component is no longer currently sold. The gen 2 moto CX & Speed motors came out in 2016 and were replaced in 2020. That means that they will be supported by Bosch with parts and tech support until 2027.
Thanks. Much as I've always like my Specialized rides I guess I'll start looking elsewhere.

85% chances are that they'll double or triple the display's price due to chip shortage . Yes, ebikes have a few 🍪🍪 🍪.
Possble a full ebike production stop also.

This is one of their conversions. Look for weight distribution and handling. That is a 750W BBS02 hanging up in the air out front. This bike also has a rear suspension to bounce the motor in front of the steering from the other end with a heavy battery. Will drivers see it? How about the brakes? Are those clip-in pedals? Thrilling!
Well, each to their own I suppose, but I don't get the whole recumbent bike thing, and that one in particular is an eyesore. CN

EDIT...this thread is so old I forgot I had already weighed in on recumbent bikes earlier.

Last edited:
The 2017's were a pain. The company that made these displays and did the programing and owned the code vanished. That's when Specialized brought it inhouse by 2019. But they own the code and parts and service and can charge whatever they want now.
PedalUma: One of reasons I "ignore" you is you express opinions without own experience. I ride a 2017 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0. The fact is the older BLOKS electronics in my e-bike (that was indeed a pain) was replaced by Specialized in May 2020, and I paid nothing for that because I had a valid warranty. The swap included Supernova M99 Pro headlight (aftermarket price $500). Name some companies that can serve the customer so well.

Well, each to their own I suppose, but I don't get the whole recumbent bike thing, and that one in particular is an eyesore. CN

EDIT...this thread is so old I forgot I had already weighed in on recumbent bikes earlier.
I wouldn't dare try to use a recumbent around here( someone{my wife most likely} would think they run over a groundhog) they zip on these narrow roads like they are a freeway- of course I could add a strobe and directional horn( noisy groundhog).

Seriously MRE. Don't give up! I am 99% sure that your bike is fixable. Your description of your bike's problem really doesn't sound that complicated. Some part or parts are now faulty and need to be replaced. It may be because of the global parts shortage that the necessary parts are unavailable right now, but that doesn't mean they'll always be unavailable. Your LBS needs to keep reaching out to Specialized, saying MRE is one of our best customers, please help us out. I watched this path be successful a number of times in this forum. Again, fingers crossed for you! Keep us posted!

Seriously MRE. Don't give up! I am 99% sure that your bike is fixable. Your description of your bike's problem really doesn't sound that complicated. Some part or parts are now faulty and need to be replaced. It may be because of the global parts shortage that the necessary parts are unavailable right now, but that doesn't mean they'll always be unavailable. Your LBS needs to keep reaching out to Specialized, saying MRE is one of our best customers, please help us out. I watched this path be successful a number of times in this forum. Again, fingers crossed for you! Keep us posted!
Thanks. I gave my dealer the info today and they are good guys and will contact Specialized on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow! I didn't see that coming? The global parts shortage is creeping up in so many unexpected ways. It's hard for me to imagine that Brose doesn't have any replacement motors between now and the next couple of months, but I guess it could be true? Hey, one slightly positive thing. It sounds like Specialized has diagnosed that you need a new motor. A month ago, I tried to buy a second battery for my Vado 4 through my LBS. It took a month for Specialized to get back to my LBS, but I just found out today that Specialized said that they're sold out of Vado batteries until August. Maybe that's going to be the same with Brose. They're out now, but they will have more motors in a month or two. What's that curse? May you live in interesting times. These are definitely interesting times. Hoping the best for you!

Wow! I didn't see that coming? The global parts shortage is creeping up in so many unexpected ways. It's hard for me to imagine that Brose doesn't have any replacement motors between now and the next couple of months, but I guess it could be true? Hey, one slightly positive thing. It sounds like Specialized has diagnosed that you need a new motor. A month ago, I tried to buy a second battery for my Vado 4 through my LBS. It took a month for Specialized to get back to my LBS, but I just found out today that Specialized said that they're sold out of Vado batteries until August. Maybe that's going to be the same with Brose. They're out now, but they will have more motors in a month or two. What's that curse? May you live in interesting times. These are definitely interesting times. Hoping the best for you!
I received an email from Specialized saying, "It also appears that we still have those motors available" but my dealer (whom I trust) says Specialized says they have none. I wish there were Canyon's or Trek e road bikes for me to look at. I love Specialized but the "no motor availability" and the poor torque and power of the Creo has me looking elesewhere.

Good news, I think. My dealer kept at specialized and it looks like they have the motor for $300. Fingers crossed.

Back