Best Rock Ever? Nominations, No Air Supply!

I'll take the 80's over the 60's any day. First half of the 60's was was still 3 1/2 min cookie cutter verse chorus verse chorus chorus doolang crap. Late 60's it started and blossomed in the 70's. 80's got tainted by MTV but you can't blame them for going for the money and girls. View attachment 144251
Electric Koolaid Acid Test definitely affected my musical tastes. Mainstream 60’s pretty much sucked but there were incredible one and two album wonders. Sorry but those 80’s bands were all a replay. We must be a decade or so apart in age.

Queen, David Bowie, Ozzy, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Def Leopard. I even had a British Flag sleeve less shirt. Never did grow my hair like many 'Posers' .
I lived in San Francisco in my late teens and got to see plenty live concerts at Cow Palace, Oakland Coluseum , and Concord Pavillion.
Bay Area has some great local bands too. Mettalica and Night Ranger, I got to see them live in an amphitheater in Downtown SF near Japan Town.
I tried LSD for the first time at a Sammy Haggar concert, I remember girls were throwing their red panties on stage even my GF. Which gave me a bad trip 🤪 but got over it.
Just reminiscent of the 80s you all.
80’s LSD. Whimpy

80’s LSD. Whimpy
Mescaline my friend. . .

tumblr_p7cjlbBv921vbcnq8o1_500.gif

Land of the Purple Microdot

I used to play drums to this in high school!
Me too. As a kid in NY I would play to WABC which was AM and had a wide variety of unsegmented top 40. As a teen in LA I played to FM hard rock and with friends. My dad would have these huge swinger hookup parties and our bands would play in the back yard. My friends would trip out at those parties because all the men were over 6'4" and the ladies over 5'10". It was a tall club. We mostly did punk. In the Bay Area it was KMEL. There were a bunch of Bay Area bands.

Bradley Nowell the lead singer of Sublime died in my town after playing at a youth concert theater called the Phoenix. The theater was a gift to the young people of my town so they would have a place to hang out. It is normally filled with skateboard ramps.

I've seen Priest many a time... the first being a warm up for KISS

A tight band with always a good show and the Screaming for Vengeance tour being the pinnacle for me.
Their first 3 albums and Point of Entry are always on my playlist.

Here's a snapshot... many a stub did not survive the night.

View attachment 144225
This post got me thinking, I've only seen the Doobie Bros at the Hollywood Bowl in around 1974 or so, and the Marshall Tucker Band around the same time, again somewhere in LA, and my absolute favorite live venue was Jimmy Buffet in about 1978 in Santa Barbara. That's it, for a paying fan, but I used to work for a security company years ago that provided security for events, such as concerts. So I've been at a lot of shows around SoCal but most were head banging nonsense. Thank goodness for earplugs. I did see Ricky Nelson not long before he died (rip) at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood, Ca., a very small venue and it was a free event. That was great too. Ricky looked and sounded just like he always did. Another good time. Maybe around 1980, but I'm not sure exactly. Sad when he passed so young.

Last edited:
This is why the no talent auto-tuned hack Billie Eilish getting a Grammy was a crime against music.

... which reminds me of one of my favorite "Texas Rock" bands: Omar and the Howlers. Some folks say it's "Captain Beefheart sings Creedence Clearwater Revival"

Six pages in and No Frank Zappa.... Sad !!!
'60's psychedelic and experimental was the bomb. Though I still remember laughing my tuchas off when Zappa showed up in "Head" alongside the Monkeys.

Cream, Yardbirds, Standells, Iron Butterfly, Knickerbockers, Chocolate Watchband, Count Five, the Seeds, Deep Purple... Dr. John!!!

As a bassist myself, I always admired Geddy Lee from Rush. For a 3 man band, they always seemed to reinvent themselves with every album. From a technical perspective, very challenging to play with odd time signatures as well. Dream Theater would be another choice, and I would add Lynyrd Skynyrd and Government Mule as well. Our band opened for Blackfoot, and their bassist Greg T. Walker was so impressed with my bass amplifier, he asked to use it during their show. I was honored.

Back