Best ebike on the market if money is no issue?

rbon

Greetings from NYC, this is my first post! I am looking for a daily commuter (4.8 miles each way, mostly flat on paved path) for my commute down the west side (Upper West to Tribeca). I also have no problem spending an insane amount of money on an ebike.. because of the thrill of supporting small local businesses like bike shops, of course.

I am visually attracted to the Trek Domane+ but not sure if that’s best for commute, would people think I am crazy or a poser if I buy this for just a commuter? I’m not sure if the physical effort to ride this bike is more or less than a commuter specific bike like the Trek Super Commuter+ 8S which may be more practical. Also could I put non-clip in pedals on the Domane+? I also like the Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0, which seems practical and still visually appealing. Bianchi Aria e-bike also visually appealing, but I would be concerned about the lack of support/service with lack of dealers in NYC. Finally, I love Canyon but they only have a MTB, any idea if they’re launching an ebike commuter anytime soon? Thoughts on above, anything else I should be looking at?

About me: 35 years old, 5’7” and 200 lbs (need to lose 25).

I live in WI bit I’ve read that NYC has very strict laws regarding class 3 bikes so I’d research that first. The models you mentioned are all 28mph which is considered a class 3. NYC law enforcement can confiscate you bike if it’s a class 3. That would be a bummer.

Will you use the bike for hauling cargo? Is storage space an issue?

I live in WI bit I’ve read that NYC has very strict laws regarding class 3 bikes so I’d research that first. The models you mentioned are all 28mph which is considered a class 3. NYC law enforcement can confiscate you bike if it’s a class 3. That would be a bummer.

Will you use the bike for hauling cargo? Is storage space an issue?
Hey Blakjac, Class 3 are now good in NYC, which is super exciting. Nothing to haul, just a super light backpack.

If you want to be practical, then look to the e-bikes with internal hubs and belt drives. All the chain drives require maintenance and can get sloppy with oil. If you are going to spend big bucks for a commuter, look at the Riese Mueller (R & M) bikes. Don't just shop because of "visually attracted" to the design but because of the other features of the bike. I would strongly recommend you find a dealer 1) local that has good reviews by their clientele 2) give good support and most importantly allow you to test the bikes. It took me awhile to define what I liked and desired in an Ebike so I ended up building one with an after market motor. I like all the folding bikes from Tern and they just released their HSD model ...sorta Cargo type commuter.

I'd first say that either bike sounds just fine for your purposes. And you can always change out the touch points like the grips, saddle, and pedals. In fact I'd generally assume that if you plan on really riding your bike you should do that.

On the other hand, I'd check out Propel Bikes (I think it is in Brooklyn) and try out some of their R&M models or a Tern GSD. Like previous posts have noted, the extra investment in an internally geared hub and a belt drive can make a big difference in your riding experience.

If money is truly no object, you are needlessly limiting yourself. You could either travel to Europe where there are a greater variety of e-bike models than are available here, many of them quite appealing, and then go through the extra effort and cost of importing them back to the states.

If money is truly no object, you should also check out one of the many cottage-industry custom bike makers in the states and see if you can get them to build you a custom e-bike. I'm sure as long as your credit limit still has room you could get one of them to talk to you and build you a great bike.

Last edited:
Greetings from NYC, this is my first post! I am looking for a daily commuter (4.8 miles each way, mostly flat on paved path) for my commute down the west side (Upper West to Tribeca). I also have no problem spending an insane amount of money on an ebike.. because of the thrill of supporting small local businesses like bike shops, of course.

I am visually attracted to the Trek Domane+ but not sure if that’s best for commute, would people think I am crazy or a poser if I buy this for just a commuter? I’m not sure if the physical effort to ride this bike is more or less than a commuter specific bike like the Trek Super Commuter+ 8S which may be more practical. Also could I put non-clip in pedals on the Domane+? I also like the Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0, which seems practical and still visually appealing. Bianchi Aria e-bike also visually appealing, but I would be concerned about the lack of support/service with lack of dealers in NYC. Finally, I love Canyon but they only have a MTB, any idea if they’re launching an ebike commuter anytime soon? Thoughts on above, anything else I should be looking at?

Since you're sending greetings from NYC, as mentioned below I would absolutely visit / contact Propel Bikes in Brooklyn. https://propelbikes.com/

rbon, You wrote.... "would people think I am crazy or a poser if I buy this for just a commuter? " I urge you forget
"what people would think". The bike you choose will be yours, for you and you alone !

You also wrote...."I also have no problem spending an insane amount of money on an ebike.. because of the thrill of supporting
small local businesses like bike shops, of course. " Of thousands and thousands of Posters on this forum, There are probably but a handful of
folks that can say that. You are to be admired and envied ( in a good way ) to be fortunate enough to purchase any e-Bike of your choice.

e-biking is an absolutely wonderful experience and to not be concerned about the price tag on the handlebars is icing on the cake. Do not be
concerned about what anyone thinks ! Now go contact / visit Chris Nolte at Propelbikes.com : ) I have no connection whatsoever
with Propel Bikes, but respect them very much. https://propelbikes.com/

rbon, You wrote.... "would people think I am crazy or a poser if I buy this for just a commuter? " I urge you forget
"what people would think". The bike you choose will be yours, for you and you alone !

You also wrote...."I also have no problem spending an insane amount of money on an ebike.. because of the thrill of supporting
small local businesses like bike shops, of course. " Of thousands and thousands of Posters on this forum, There are probably but a handful of
folks that can say that. You are to be admired and envied ( in a good way ) to be fortunate enough to purchase any e-Bike of your choice.

e-biking is an absolutely wonderful experience and to not be concerned about the price tag on the handlebars is icing on the cake. Do not be
concerned about what anyone thinks ! Now go contact / visit Chris Nolte at Propelbikes.com : ) I have no connection whatsoever
with Propel Bikes, but respect them very much. https://propelbikes.com/

And if money is no object, after you get your 1st one, then a 2nd one. And a 3rd one?
Can’t wait to see your new bike.

I’d look at a Riese & Mieller over Steiner, Trek, etc. Get a high speed version with the belt drive as others mentioned. You will have the best.

You can't go wrong with Propel bikes in Brooklyn. They are in the very top tier of ebike shops in North America. They carry many fine brands and will help you figure out which brand and bike will be best for you. I ride Riese & Muller bikes so I'm totally biased in their favor. They offer several bikes with electronically shifted, internal geared hubs and carbon fiber belt drives. Check out the Super Charger, Homage and Delight. Test ride extensively, you'll figure out which bike is for you.

Hey Blakjac, Class 3 are now good in NYC, which is super exciting. Nothing to haul, just a super light backpack.
Hi, not sure your of your route, but as a technical matter, Class 3 is illegal on the Hudson River Greenway (best route from Tribeca to UWS), even after the new legislation. That being said, I think it will be almost impossible for anyone to enforce since there already is a massive ebike/escooter presence on that route.

I bought a Supercharger at Propel, had some warranty issues and Propel went above and beyond to rectify.

Back