Best Bike Trailers for E-bikes?

nf94

Hey, I have been doing bicycle deliveries for mutual aid groups in NYC, and a large courier backpack + panniers is not cutting it. I'm wondering what kinds of trailers might have the best compatibility and utility for an rearhub ebike?
The Burley flatbed trailer is running a deal at this moment, but is normally $230, and seems to be on the more affordable side. For urban use, though, I'm wary to get a 2-wheel trailer because of the width. In NYC it is virtually impossible not to do some weaving through traffic. The connectors available for this trailer seem the most compatible for e-bikes. 100 lbs weight rating seems fairly high, though people complain that it's not very sturdy.

This trailer appears to be potentially compatible with different kinds of bike mounting options (e.g., rear hub motors), though I haven't looked into it. It's less wide, which is good, but it's rather expensive.

Appears to be the most tried and true option. From what I can see the variety of axle and nut mounting options for the Bob Yak are not clearly something that can be used with a rear hub motor (wire coming out of one side of the axle). Somewhat pricier. 70 lbs weight rating seems on the lower end, though people seem to emphasize that it holds much more weight than it claims.

Does anyone with more experience have anything to add?

I neither own or have experience with one, but this Wike Trailer on Amazon looks right to my eyes, with mostly aluminum construction. This one also looks good; it is steel so probably much heavier, but I like the taller sides and frame extending around the wheels. This also means it has normal quick release wheel hubs, another plus in my eyes.

I would not want a Burley; I have seen too many where the fabric is dirty, deteriorated, worm, or torn...especially when the get left outside. B.O.B. Yaks are great; very solid. But as you say I do not know if it could fit with a rear hub motor.

I grabbed a Schwinn branded inexpensive trailer. $100 and it's served me well.

Hey, I have been doing bicycle deliveries for mutual aid groups in NYC, and a large courier backpack + panniers is not cutting it. I'm wondering what kinds of trailers might have the best compatibility and utility for an rearhub ebike?
The Burley flatbed trailer is running a deal at this moment, but is normally $230, and seems to be on the more affordable side. For urban use, though, I'm wary to get a 2-wheel trailer because of the width. In NYC it is virtually impossible not to do some weaving through traffic. The connectors available for this trailer seem the most compatible for e-bikes. 100 lbs weight rating seems fairly high, though people complain that it's not very sturdy.

This trailer appears to be potentially compatible with different kinds of bike mounting options (e.g., rear hub motors), though I haven't looked into it. It's less wide, which is good, but it's rather expensive.

Appears to be the most tried and true option. From what I can see the variety of axle and nut mounting options for the Bob Yak are not clearly something that can be used with a rear hub motor (wire coming out of one side of the axle). Somewhat pricier. 70 lbs weight rating seems on the lower end, though people seem to emphasize that it holds much more weight than it claims.

Does anyone with more experience have anything to add?

This is the best trailer out there but might not work in city delivery role as it is long.

The Burly, Bob or the Topeak look good. Various styles but rugged build is desirable.

ALL these type trailers are sold out ... ALL brands. Maybe things will get back to normal some day. :(

Did you ever find a trailer that was compatible with a rearhub motor? I'm in a similar position and am having trouble figuring out which trailers would fit on my ebike

Did you ever find a trailer that was compatible with a rearhub motor? I'm in a similar position and am having trouble figuring out which trailers would fit on my ebike

I've had no issues fitting an Allen or Burley on my previous hub drive bikes. The attachments for the trailers are usually the size of a thick washer between the axle bolt and nut. Your setup may vary but I've always been left with plenty of threads for the nut to hold securely.

Back