Best and Coolest HELMET BRANDS for COMMUTING..?

Why do you fall so often ?
63 years riding, 6 falls on the chin. First time 1961 a ball player in street dodged sideways & knocked me over. String of falls 2006 to now are all caused by "quick" steering, not enough caster, which causes front wheel to snap sideways on a ridge of gravel, a high pavement separator, a speed bump, a stick. Sideways front wheel kicks seat up and over I go. Can't buy bikes with slow steering anymore, all 26" wheel frames have exactly the same trail. Which is not enough. Checked 180 frames on a website. As if we were all downhill racers dodging stumps & rocks. NOT. My Mother's 1946 Firestone bike had the same tires, but was as stable as a rock even without holding onto the handlebars. Weighed 75 lb though & had one speed.

63 years riding, 6 falls on the chin. First time 1961 a ball player in street dodged sideways & knocked me over. String of falls 2006 to now are all caused by "quick" steering, not enough caster, which causes front wheel to snap sideways on a ridge of gravel, a high pavement separator, a speed bump, a stick. Sideways front wheel kicks seat up and over I go. Can't buy bikes with slow steering anymore, all 26" wheel frames have exactly the same trail. Which is not enough. Checked 180 frames on a website. As if we were all downhill racers dodging stumps & rocks. NOT. My Mother's 1946 Firestone bike had the same tires, but was as stable as a rock even without holding onto the handlebars. Weighed 75 lb though & had one speed.
That's why I like my long wheelbase bike with 3.5" tires. Not the quickest handling but very stable on our crappy streets. I get real antsy when I demo new bikes with narrower tires and shorter wheelbases.

Last edited:
And…California. Class 3 ebikes seem to require (even for adults) full DOT approval, Anybody have recommendations?

It seems @Corsair is correct. Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize this as a class 3 ebike rider in CA.

That link doesn't tell me anything.

It only says motorcycle riders need to ride with motorcycle helmet.

What about ebikes?
For class 3 ebikes, a DOT approved helmet is required, even for adults.

”You must wear an approved helmet while operating or riding on an electric bicycle in California if you are 17 or under. If you are 18 or older, you do not need to wear a helmet on a standard bicycle, Class 1 eBike, or Class 2 eBike. You must, however, wear a helmet while riding a Class 3 eBike, moped, or motorcycle. An approved helmet has a Department of Transportation (DOT) sticker ensuring it meets federal safety and quality standards”

And, eventually found the relevant law absolutely buried. CPSC is required, not DOT. So, relief.

Hi EBR fans...,

Anyone can give me a tip on the coolest, and most secure HELMETS available, mostly for commuting purposes, and some off-roading..??

Thanks for your thoughts and insights...

Best,

Louis
I like thousand but it doesn't look safe, I've heard about xnito, they're on indiegogo and their helmets meet the NTA standards for ebikes

I've heard about xnito, they're on indiegogo
If it's on IndieGoGo, it's overpriced and a long, long way off from delivery. Order it now and you might get it in time to use it late this summer.

How about the Bell Super 3R? Removable chinstrap, colors, etc.
I used to have a bunch of Bell helmets for off-road and for (car) track events - haven’t kept up on them but looks decent..
Bell helmets are very good if one does not mind wearing the chin protector.
I use a Bell Super Air R Mips Spherical for my demanding summer rides on my Speed Vado, especially when I plan steep downhill rides on roads.

1643044747935.png

On a fast urban ride.

Last edited:
Back