New "Senior" member. 64 yrs young and have been riding Harleys for 50 years. But now...

1929harleyjd

Region
USA
...I caught the electric two-wheeler bug two years ago w/ an electric zoom scooter. After the local pds decided it fit neither the bicycle or motorcycle classification, they banned it. SO, enter the Ehora X5 w/ 750W hub and 15ah battery. Purchased new last Sept. for a grand, I simply LOVE it. After 50 years on half a dozen different 700 Lb Harleys, from a '47 Knuckle to a new Ultra Classic and finally a 113hp Springer Classic, I now ride my X5 daily and find it is THE way to go on county roads and in town. I'm a retired Electrical Engineer, so I'm constantly fiddling with it although it has proven to be 100% reliable... And most of all, FUN. I added a high-end shock absorbing seat, some lighting upgrades, and am about to order new 20x4 20psi/60TPI snakeskin tires. Would anyone have a recommendation on the best brand for a smoother, shock absorbing ride, and good traction? I've considered Dukes, Innova’s, and several similar brands. Also, I was looking for a spare 750W hub motor and rim as a spare, but hear that the 750W is no longer available. It's got great torque, gives me a 30 mile range w/ my 15ah battery, and does an easy 32 to 34 mph on the flats... makes me wonder if my speedo if off. Love to hear feedback on other's X5s, as well as which bike would be a good upgrade as I'll have this one worn out in a season or two (rear shocks would be a real blessing w/ my two artificial hips). Oh, any way to upgrade the front shocks?
I've rambled on long enough. Great group here and thanks for having me... Doug

Attachments

• 20230426_191934.jpg
    20230426_191934.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 144
It has regen, correct?( great brake saver) what I would recommend would be to look at the Aventon bike line,I like the Eahora line, they seem a little hard to obtain from time to time and I wouldnt discount the "XP" fatties bang for buck,BTW welcome, we are glad to have you.

It has regen, correct?( great brake saver) what I would recommend would be to look at the Aventon bike line,I like the Eahora line, they seem a little hard to obtain from time to time and I wouldnt discount the "XP" fatties bang for buck,BTW welcome, we are glad to have you.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here for the asking.

You might try the Eahora brand sub forum for more info specific to your bike:

Welcome aboard!

Wish I had your EE background to better understand that part of ebike engineering. The latest edition (4th, 2020) of Wilson and Scmidt, Bicycling Science, finally added some ebike-specific content but not much about assist strategies and the nuts and bolts of how they're implemented.

Welcome to the site & the electric bike hobby. Glad you enjoyed Harlieys, I was never able to pick one up even in pairs. Two of us tried a Harley in 1972; he bought a Suzuki 1000. I bought a 65 Ford Fairlane .
I'm age 72, and have no shocks on my cargo bike. My bike is 5 1/2 years old, about 12000 miles, 5 sets tires, 1 set brakes, 3 shifter cables, 4 hub motors and going for a fifth, one battery (after the first two duds from amazon & ebay), 3 controllers, 4 throttles. One motor wore the gears ~3000 miles, one came with a dodgy clutch that went to 1 of 3 engagements at 2000 miles, one I burned on the 60th hill of 77 because it was too small & low voltage. The 4th motor still works but the state has the flat way to my summer camp under construction and the back way has all the hills that burnt the 3rd 350 w 36 v motor. New motor is 500 w 48 v, biggest I could find in May.
Most of us wear helmets. I find my brain rather useful. My volunteer job buddy ruined his brain carrying boxes downstairs for a lady & fell, so there is some evidence for wearing a cheap helmet even walking around at my age. Falls do many of us elders in, due to head injuries. Since I broke my chin in a bike fall 2017, I wear one with a chin guard on the bike. Fox Rampage. The dickies mechanic's wear stopped all skin burn in that accident, at ~25 mph on gravel over pavement. Same with the $1 polyester garden gloves.

Last edited:
If you like Harleys, check out the Series 1 ebike made by HD. Maybe not what you are looking for in a bike, but an interesting endeavor on HD’s part.

I have been riding dirt bikes, ATVs and street bikes for a few years now. I own a CAN-AM Outlander 850 and a Yamaha FZ8 street bike. I just bought my first e-bike, a Freesky Alaska. I have the "need for speed" gene, so I do elicit some curious, and probably some angry looks from people as I tear by them on the bike path in Pedal Assist Mode 5 which is 33mph on the Freesky. I really like the power of this bike. I also ride the trails behind my house, some single-track trails in the mountains. It can handle the level trails, but it stalls out pretty quickly on the steeps. Bike is too heavy for steep mountain bike trails. It does handle fields, and dirt trails quite well and the paved bike trails are a breeze. It climbs the mountain roads very well when I can use full Pedal Assist Level 5. I am having a total blast on that thing!!! I am so glad I bought it!!!

I have been riding dirt bikes, ATVs and street bikes for a few years now. I own a CAN-AM Outlander 850 and a Yamaha FZ8 street bike. I just bought my first e-bike, a Freesky Alaska. I have the "need for speed" gene, so I do elicit some curious, and probably some angry looks from people as I tear by them on the bike path in Pedal Assist Mode 5 which is 33mph on the Freesky. I really like the power of this bike. I also ride the trails behind my house, some single-track trails in the mountains. It can handle the level trails, but it stalls out pretty quickly on the steeps. Bike is too heavy for steep mountain bike trails. It does handle fields, and dirt trails quite well and the paved bike trails are a breeze. It climbs the mountain roads very well when I can use full Pedal Assist Level 5. I am having a total blast on that thing!!! I am so glad I bought it!!!
Not impressed at all. This isn't making you, or the e-bike industry in general, any friends. I could give a damn what you do when playing in the boonies with no other people around, but I would ask that you find it within you to show PLENTY of respect for others when/where they are present.

Some I think, could easily temper their "need for speed" with a little less show off and a LOT more common sense.....

Need for speed? It's not that I don't know what you're talking about. I was doing performance in muscle cars, ski boats, snowmobiles, quads (full tilt 80hp Banshee), and ATV's (The 850 and 650 Can Ams will absolutely BAKE your legs in warm weather) since the late 60's and early 70's.

Last edited:
Right on Brother, all it takes is for a Toddler or an elder person to step into the ' speed demons" path at the last instant to go from joy into a "manslaughter charge, The "Surron' riders were starting to make the "PTB' notice how fast some of the 2 wheelers were becoming, thus we now have those wonderful power limits and speed classes, somebody please post that video of the "Surron" rider who may have killed that person on a shared path( I do not have it), speed can kill, common sense is a beautiful thing.

Welcome to the site & the electric bike hobby. Glad you enjoyed Harlieys, I was never able to pick one up even in pairs. Two of us tried a Harley in 1972; he bought a Suzuki 1000. I bought a 65 Ford Fairlane .
I'm age 72, and have no shocks on my cargo bike. My bike is 5 1/2 years old, about 12000 miles, 5 sets tires, 1 set brakes, 3 shifter cables, 4 hub motors and going for a fifth, one battery (after the first two duds from amazon & ebay), 3 controllers, 4 throttles. One motor wore the gears ~3000 miles, one came with a dodgy clutch that went to 1 of 3 engagements at 2000 miles, one I burned on the 60th hill of 77 because it was too small & low voltage. The 4th motor still works but the state has the flat way to my summer camp under construction and the back way has all the hills that burnt the 3rd 350 w 36 v motor. New motor is 500 w 48 v, biggest I could find in May.
Most of us wear helmets. I find my brain rather useful. My volunteer job buddy ruined his brain carrying boxes downstairs for a lady & fell, so there is some evidence for wearing a cheap helmet even walking around at my age. Falls do many of us elders in, due to head injuries. Since I broke my chin in a bike fall 2017, I wear one with a chin guard on the bike. Fox Rampage. The dickies mechanic's wear stopped all skin burn in that accident, at ~25 mph on gravel over pavement. Same with the $1 polyester garden gloves.
" Indianajo", did you ever find anymore high power DD wheelsets, last time I looked "ebikeling" had some pretty powerful units availible.

Please tell me you're joking about tearing past other people on bike paths.

...I caught the electric two-wheeler bug two years ago w/ an electric zoom scooter. After the local pds decided it fit neither the bicycle or motorcycle classification, they banned it. SO, enter the Ehora X5 w/ 750W hub and 15ah battery. Purchased new last Sept. for a grand, I simply LOVE it. After 50 years on half a dozen different 700 Lb Harleys, from a '47 Knuckle to a new Ultra Classic and finally a 113hp Springer Classic, I now ride my X5 daily and find it is THE way to go on county roads and in town. I'm a retired Electrical Engineer, so I'm constantly fiddling with it although it has proven to be 100% reliable... And most of all, FUN. I added a high-end shock absorbing seat, some lighting upgrades, and am about to order new 20x4 20psi/60TPI snakeskin tires. Would anyone have a recommendation on the best brand for a smoother, shock absorbing ride, and good traction? I've considered Dukes, Innova’s, and several similar brands. Also, I was looking for a spare 750W hub motor and rim as a spare, but hear that the 750W is no longer available. It's got great torque, gives me a 30 mile range w/ my 15ah battery, and does an easy 32 to 34 mph on the flats... makes me wonder if my speedo if off. Love to hear feedback on other's X5s, as well as which bike would be a good upgrade as I'll have this one worn out in a season or two (rear shocks would be a real blessing w/ my two artificial hips). Oh, any way to upgrade the front shocks?
I've rambled on long enough. Great group here and thanks for having me... Doug
You're not going to make many friends here with posts like this.

Your behavior is one of the things driving the anti e-bike sentiment responsible for bans on many popular trails.

Please confine this type of riding to streets or open areas where others won't feel threatened. Don't spoil the sport for the rest of us!

Last edited:
I seen a "Cat" on youtube put together some kind of an internet ebike, mind you He even got the "gopro" out and recorded it, He went screamin down a bike path wide open( probably chuckling) by everything on the bike path, elderly walkers and all,I didn't see the video up long, maybe He repented of His @$$h@!@ actions, at 30 mph the impact would be equivalent to falling 30 ft off of a 3 story building, now tell me that wouldn't injure someone,I have fallen off of one story roofs at least two times and its not fun. The front tire impacting someones ribcage or even the whiplash would be enough to kill someone.

You're not going to make many friends here with posts like this.

Your behavior is one of the things driving the anti e-bike sentiment responsible for bans on many popular trails.

Please confine this type of riding to streets or open areas where others won't feel threatened. Don't spoil the sport for the rest of us!
It is good to know this is a community that cares about e-biking and e-biking safety. I can assure every one of you, the bike paths I am speaking of are wide open, straight as an arrow bike paths with no on/off paths and loads of green grass on either side. I stay well away from any other riders, taking to the grass at times to make sure I am well clear of them. I also take safety seriously. I use the bike's capability as a big part of the enjoyment of e-biking. If there are toddlers or youth on this path, and I can see them 1/2 mile away, I slow my pace way down and come to a crawl when going past them; I am not an idiot. The reference to the "strange" looks is that even when you are 30 feet away from other riders, they are more used to a very casual pace and nothing wrong with that, but I like a spirited ride and being safety conscious at the same time.

Just so y'all know, I don't ride the trails. I leave those for the walkers and peddlers. I ride city streets, county roads, and hug the shoulder on the four-lanes during the off-hours when there's little traffic and I'm not a nuisance. After dark I run TWELVE oscillating red LEDs on the rear, have THREE high output LED headlamps strapped to my forehead (gets so hot I gotta wear a leather helmet to protect my noggin'), eat up chuckholez rather than hog up the travelled portion of the roadway, and like daydreaming that it's 1975 and I'm back at the motocross track riding my 11 to 1 CR bored and ported Honda XL250...
And THAT'S why I need some opinions on puncture-proof tires, as I rode a flat two miles into town just 3 weeks ago (no choice, disabled & can't walk far). What do y'all think of 20” x 4” INNOVA fat tire 60 TPI 20 PSI Snake Skins? I Realize I may need a more aggressive tread but can I get both high TPI, Traction, and the ability to run at 20 pounds to soak up the bumps, all in one tire? Perhaps I should start a new thread with this one, but let's hear some suggestions.
-Ad Nauseum, 1929harleyjd.

If you aren't already, I would look into a tire sealant as a first step (Slime or similar). One that's designed to be used as a preventative, prior to a leak, not an after the fact patch to get you home. If you're like a lot of us, you may find the tires you have are just fine....

Just so y'all know, I don't ride the trails. I leave those for the walkers and peddlers. I ride city streets, county roads, and hug the shoulder on the four-lanes during the off-hours when there's little traffic and I'm not a nuisance. After dark I run TWELVE oscillating red LEDs on the rear, have THREE high output LED headlamps strapped to my forehead (gets so hot I gotta wear a leather helmet to protect my noggin'), eat up chuckholez rather than hog up the travelled portion of the roadway, and like daydreaming that it's 1975 and I'm back at the motocross track riding my 11 to 1 CR bored and ported Honda XL250...
And THAT'S why I need some opinions on puncture-proof tires, as I rode a flat two miles into town just 3 weeks ago (no choice, disabled & can't walk far). What do y'all think of 20” x 4” INNOVA fat tire 60 TPI 20 PSI Snake Skins? I Realize I may need a more aggressive tread but can I get both high TPI, Traction, and the ability to run at 20 pounds to soak up the bumps, all in one tire? Perhaps I should start a new thread with this one, but let's hear some suggestions.
-Ad Nauseum, 1929harleyjd.
Specialized and Schwalbe rate their tires WRT to puncture resistance. Among others, the Specialized Amadillo line gets their highest rating. Shop their sites for something that suits your needs.

Not your specs, I know, but I have 1,300 flat-free miles on a pair of 27.5x2 3" Crossroads Armadillos, a hybrid tire, minimum inflation 25 lb, with Tannus foam inserts for added protection.

Back