Best 28mph Pedelec Urban Bike?

Shaker

I am in the market for an urban/hybrid style, flat bar e-bike. I live in Southern California and will be using it mostly to ride to my local downtown area (3.5 miles one way) and occasionally to work (10 miles one way). There is a slight incline one both routes for a portion of the ride but nothing drastic. I am trying to stay in the budget of $3500 range if possible and find a unit that gives assistance up to 28mph. I have zero experience with ebikes but have countless hours on bikes in general (raced competitively teens/early 20s BMX and put approx. 15 miles a week on a Townie 3)

The units that have caught my attention so far are the Giant Quick E+ and the Trek XM700+. I am by no means locked into one of these two units but they seem to match up to my criteria pretty well. Can anyone comment on either of these two for my purpose or recommend a unit that might fits my needs better?

I am in the market for an urban/hybrid style, flat bar e-bike. I live in Southern California and will be using it mostly to ride to my local downtown area (3.5 miles one way) and occasionally to work (10 miles one way). There is a slight incline one both routes for a portion of the ride but nothing drastic. I am trying to stay in the budget of $3500 range if possible and find a unit that gives assistance up to 28mph. I have zero experience with ebikes but have countless hours on bikes in general (raced competitively teens/early 20s BMX and put approx. 15 miles a week on a Townie 3)

The units that have caught my attention so far are the Giant Quick E+ and the Trek XM700+. I am by no means locked into one of these two units but they seem to match up to my criteria pretty well. Can anyone comment on either of these two for my purpose or recommend a unit that might fits my needs better?

I recently got a 2018 Giant Quick E+ and am very happy with it. I find it very responsive and as fast I would want. It's a stiff bike though so I've added a Body Float suspension seat post and that has greatly increased comfort especially riding over rough, patched streets. I prefer its 2" tires over the narrower tires on the Trek XM700+. Right now I'm just working on getting a suitable rear rack for it.

Bernie... Glad to hear you like your Quick E+.

I would not mind adding a suspension seat post if that helped the ride. The Trek XM700+ has some suspension travel (35mm travel) in the front fork but I do not know if that helps for urban commuting or not. Some urban bikes have short travel forks and some have rigid forks.

I think both would work with the biggest difference between the two are the drive systems. The Giant is using the Yamaha system and the Trek is using the Bosh system. I have read reviews about both but sometimes real world experience is different than what you read. I would prefer a system that provides the most power and makes the pedaling the easiest to get and maintain speed. If I want to workout I will ride one of my standard bikes. I don't know if one system gives you more of an experience of being a passenger vs more of an assisted feel.

Haibike XDURO Trekking S rx is the model I ride, but pretty sure new designation for 2018. I'm a real fan of the Bosch mid drive.

Two recommendations: The Elby by Elby and the Urban by Ohm. Both 28mph speed pedelecs with top notch build quality and both come with full throttles in addition to pedal assist.

Elby is only ELECTRIC ASSIST TO 20 MPH .
By the way , Elby will announce a new lower cost model in a few days at Interbike .

Bernie... Glad to hear you like your Quick E+.

I would not mind adding a suspension seat post if that helped the ride. The Trek XM700+ has some suspension travel (35mm travel) in the front fork but I do not know if that helps for urban commuting or not. Some urban bikes have short travel forks and some have rigid forks.

I think both would work with the biggest difference between the two are the drive systems. The Giant is using the Yamaha system and the Trek is using the Bosh system. I have read reviews about both but sometimes real world experience is different than what you read. I would prefer a system that provides the most power and makes the pedaling the easiest to get and maintain speed. If I want to workout I will ride one of my standard bikes. I don't know if one system gives you more of an experience of being a passenger vs more of an assisted feel.
If you want less work and less sweat, the Giant is the ebike for you since it performs best in the 60-80 RPM cadence.
quick-e-tech.jpg

The Trek (Bosch) is zippier but you also do your part of pedaling faster, more cardio workout, more sweat and more panting.
1982140_2017_A_1_XM700_Plus_Man_BLX_MatteBlackPearl_USkor1

Both are very decent choices. I think a nearby local store that honors warranty service is the more significant factor for your buying decision.

OK...Mark very good to know. There are two bike shops in my town and I have a very good relationship with one of them (they are great) but have never gone to the other one. The LBS that I have a relationship with and know everyone there is a Trek dealer but not a Giant dealer so I have been leaning more toward the Trek for that reason.

I went there yesterday to talk to them about an ebike and they did not have the Trek XM700 but they had a Trek Super Commuter 8s. They let me take the Super Commuter 8s out for about 15 minutes and I thought it was amazing. If they would have had my frame size I probably would have bought it (being caught up in the experience), as I thought it was that good... of course I have nothing to compare it to but as a stand alone test ride it was great. I know the cost is much more than the XM700 ($5K vs $3.5K) but the experience was so good on the Super Commuter it might be worth moving up to that over the XM700. I need to try and find a XM700+ to test ride and see if the Super Commuter 8s is worth the extra $1500.

The only other reason I am leaning toward a Bosh system over the Giant/Yamaha system would be for future battery or parts needs. The way I understand it the Bosh system is fairly generic and used on a lot of bikes. The battery is Bosh and they same battery type is used on many other Ebikes. The concern I might have with the Giant is that if I need a new battery in say 5-7 years from now will I be able to get one? I think Giant is having Samsung make the batteries for them as they are labeled as a Giant brand on their website but Giant is not manufacturing them. I don't know if they will be as common to find in the future especially with the graphics to match the frame (not the end of the world but nice to match). Does anyone else see this as a valid concern or do you feel parts/batteries will be as easy to obtain for the Giant system as a Bosh system?

Check out the Hai bike Urban Plus. Already popular in Europe I hear.Should be coming into U.S. market this yr. I have riden one , and for the price It is a serious commuter. Around $ 3,5oo. For power it uses a Tran ex motor.

17URBAN.JPG
Urban by Ohm Electric Bikes. Tremendous build quality, lots of upgrades, 28mph screamer with full throttle. Solid fenders, great lighting, Shimano Deore XT transmission, TRP Zurich (fantastic) brakes, regenerative braking et. al. You can see more at (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) or go to the Ohm website.

Back