Benefits of R&M?

warthor

Region
USA
I am looking for an electric bike to commute to work. I had my eye on the Specialized Vado, but came across R&M on upway (used). I could not find many reviews of these newer models (ebr has many older models reviewed). My question is what makes R&M superior to other brands? I don’t mean this as an insult, I am legitimately considering this brand.
Also, if I don’t live near a R&M dealer can they be serviced at easily by other LBS?

I am looking for an electric bike to commute to work. I had my eye on the Specialized Vado, but came across R&M on upway (used). I could not find many reviews of these newer models (ebr has many older models reviewed). My question is what makes R&M superior to other brands? I don’t mean this as an insult, I am legitimately considering this brand.
Also, if I don’t live near a R&M dealer can they be serviced at easily by other LBS?
you really need a dealer because they have parts that are only on their bikes. I think they have specialized bosch hardware too but that would depend on the bike.

R&M makes pretty high quality bikes. If properly cared for and not grossly abused they will last you a long time.

My own opinion is that most of their bikes seem to fit best into the city commuter niche. In particular if you have a secure place to park and store such an expensive bike.

Most routine work on an R&M can be done by any bike shop, preferably one that can work on Bosch electric drives. My dealer is quite some distance away and once a year or so I have to call them to order some part that is wearing out or broken.

There are a lot of positives. I almost bought one myself. The negatives in my mind were:

1. Cost. At the time, about 2x competing models.
2. Order time. If your bike isn't in stock at your dealer in your preferred configuration, you have to order from the factory. The factory does batches of different lines of bikes on a rotating schedule. You could wait months to get yours, plus shipping time from Germany.
3. Dealer availability. There is one in my major metropolitan area. But just one. On the other hand the LBS I bought my bike from is walking distance from where I work.
4. Variability. "Hand built in Germany" sounds great, but a for a few unlucky people it's emphasis on "hand built". Maybe hand built just before lunch. At a premium price point I would have expected those stories to end with "but R&M took care of me" but that didn't seem to be the case.
5. The Bosch system. Bosch has been in the industry for a long time (by e-bike standards) and they make some of the nicest motors/systems. They just have an attitude that rubs me the wrong way that comes through whenever anyone discusses Bosch motor issues. It's like Bosch thinks you are lucky to get this motor from them, and if they alter the deal, pray they don't alter it further. There are a lot of slight variants in the motor (which you'll have to pick from at order time). Most are probably software differences, but the motors are locked from the factory and your dealer can't just adjust it for you. If a replacement shows up and it's set up wrong, it will have to be physically replaced instead of just reprogrammed. They won't even sell you a replacement (out of warranty) without you agreeing to send the old one back. They're making an ABS system now, which sounds cool, but the idea of moving brakes from a self-service item to a "need a Bosch dealer" item sounds terrible. And in my particular case, there happen to be a few niches (like eMTB) where other brands like Brose are currently making a nicer product.

Which particular R&M model did you have your eye on?

Both Mrs DG and myself have the Nevo3 GT Vario GX bikes and are very pleased with them.

Previously we had Raleigh and Wisper bikes, which were good bikes. However, the difference between them and R&M bikes is significant. Their build quality is excellent and I do like the Bosch system. Very comfortable and easy to ride.

As with any bike, we have had some minor non-Bosch system issues, but this has always been easily resolved by the R&M LBS.

Some of the benefits we like;
  • Solidly built with good build quality
  • Reliable and proven Bosch system
  • Goes anywhere
  • Fairly adjustable to get a comfortable riding position
  • The Gates belt and Enviolo hub make for very easy riding
  • Good lights and brakes

We use them on all terrains and they haven’t let us down yet. All in all, we are very pleased them and use them as often as we can.

DG…

Here are my light-hearted comments on Riese & Muller e-bikes :)

Fancy an iPhone with hardly any dealer/service network, hard to obtain in the preferred configuration, one for which you need to wait for a long time, and very expensive. That would be the R&M. Owners who spent so much money, time and effort to get their "e-bike iPhone" are among the most loyal users. They have never tried an Android phone such as Samsung because the R&M reputation and price is second to Apple. The fact the proprietary e-bike depends on two companies: R&M and Bosch E-Bike (as well as on Rohloff, Enviolo or what not) will not make the R&M owner complain. R&M is simply the best :)

There were two EBR Forum users who were heavy and loyal R&M users who also owned Trek e-bikes. Whenever any of their R&M broke, they had their Trek as a spare. Necessary to mention, Alaskan was the president of the R&M User Club on Facebook. David Berry was just riding his Homages for many thousand kilometres a year. None of them spared the R&M when their R&M e-bikes deserved some bashing. Unfortunately, neither Alaskan nor David Berry are together with us anymore.

@Ben J made an excellent analysis in the post #5. I could see an R&M Roadster in London, and I wondered why that e-bike should be better than my Specialized Vado. Gazelle e-bikes have great following now as well.

Riese & Muller is a respected brand with a great following, especially in the countries where obtaining a classy e-bike is not obvious (Australia, New Zealand for instance). R&M owners will love their e-bikes. But iPhone users love their devices, too :) You may also think of a Tesla that often comes with the body chipped under the paint...

Please do not kill me :)

Last edited:
Thanks all for your thoughtful and fun comments. That definitely is helpful. It sounds as though the bikes are very good (no question), but might not justify the higher price. For example, Gazelle is also very good but much cheaper.

Edit: I don't mean any slight on those who have chosen them either, I simply am more focused on budgets (~4k).

Thanks all for your thoughtful and fun comments. That definitely is helpful. It sounds as though the bikes are very good (no question), but might not justify the higher price. For example, Gazelle is also very good but much cheaper.

Edit: I don't mean any slight on those who have chosen them either, I simply am more focused on budgets (~4k).
no thats practical you can also get a trek or several others like diamond back too.

Enjoy whichever bike you choose.

DG…

I find most R&M folks "graduate" into their bikes. That's to say it's usually a 2nd or 3rd bike for a user versus a first one. Now with the increased pre-owned bikes in the market that still feature the 4th gen Bosch motors there are quite a few options for folks with a tighter budget. Comparing a R&M to any brand can be a challenge when folks just see the $$ amount. The biggest benefit to R&M is they're very customizable and I've probably had the best support from any brand in terms of support after sales. Granted there's usually a 24hr delay in replies due to the time difference, but outside of that their dealer support (and subsequent customer support) is pretty impressive.

Thought I'd share some dealer insight if that's any value!

I'll also share that in terms of pure bang for buck/dollar value, Gazelle is pretty hard to argue with...

Hi Warthor,
if I may, the only critical issue with brands / companies is to understand if they will still be there tomorrow or not.
For the rest, it is more a matter of comparison between models, with their own characteristics, that fit or not your needs / budget.
Global brand opinion of persons who have never riden an e-bike from the considered brand has little interest.
Il my case, I opted for a Delite4 because it offered provided against a huge amount of money a set of characteristics I could not find in other models considered (Moustache, Specialized, Gazelle, Trek, Giant, …)
I would have preferred a less expensive choice, but it appeared not to be on the market.
In any case, a key criteria for me was dealer proximity.
I have experienced during 4 years Van Moof, with a single and compulsory maintenance point on the other side of Paris. Never again.
So make a choice that fits your needs, and be happy with your new bike. ;-)

tI spent over two years saving my $ and researching the new offerings in the eBike world. Having come through many years as a bike mechanic and a series of bikes built up over the years I knew I wanted the best that was available. No fuss. You get what you pay for. My Ti frame Kona ATB sits a lot these days as I decided when I retired it was time to buy the eBike. R&M SC2 just won out. So many valuable features. I removed a lot of chains and chain rings in my previous 50 years. I was sick of chain drives. Enter Gates carbon drive, add in a E-14 Rohloff, dual batteries, large tires, a beefy frame and I was hooked. I can blast up hills day after day, little physical recovery needed and blast down those same hills at 45 mph with confidence. The bike is heavy but it needs to be to perform the way it does. R&M has the experience as an early developer with excellent engineering behind. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Now, four years later, over 5700 miles I can still with confidence say it was the best decision and buy I could have made.

I have ridden an R+M for 4/5 years and I would honestly not buy another one. They are overpriced. Mine came with two design flaws ( both unfixable by R+M ). Where I live there are other bikes (such as Moustache, Norco etc...) available that I would greatly prefer next time. I am a big Bosch fan though.

Last edited:
IMG_6293.jpeg

Just ticked over 11,000km on ride home from work today on my SC2.
I’d give a qualified yes about replacing it with an R&M as there’s certainly not a heap of choice for like for like features in my market.

Back