Battery safety education - Only you can prevent battery fires!

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
In the wake of the story about latest deadly fire caused by charging multiple bike batteries unattended overnight in NYC, someone suggested an educational thread covering battery and charging safety.

Here we go:

1. Only buy bikes with UL or CE rated batteries and chargers.

2. Only buy UL or CE rated batteries and chargers.

3. Only use the charger engineered specifically for your battery.

4. Never leave your battery on the charger overnight!

5. Use a timer to automatically turn off charging.

What else???

In the wake of the story about latest deadly fire caused by charging multiple bike batteries unattended overnight in NYC, someone suggested an educational thread covering battery and charging safety.

Here we go:

What else???

Don't charge in extremes of temperature?

Don't charge unattended even during the day.

Charge away from flammables with a smoke detector nearby.

Don't leave the battery connected to the charger when it isn't in use.

When not installed on the bike, protect the battery during transport in a shock resistant container.

Never charge a damaged battery.

I always watch my batteries while they charge, but am I likely so see, smell or hear something before it explodes if something goes wrong?
Is there any warning?
I'm thinking the battery and charger would get very hot first...

I'm thinking the battery and charger would get very hot first...

I would hope so and I hope I'd see, hear or smell something first as well?

Should I put thermometers on both or should I just set them on my lap while charging to keep a real close eye on them? 😂

I've got a fire extinguisher 15 feet away, but I've heard that they are useless in a lithium battery 🔥.

I've got a 48V 25ah battery as well.
The biggest bomb you can get.

Hi Everyone, new hear so trying to learn as much as I can. I live in the Phoenix area and right now we are having some 110 to 115 degree weather. I had contacted Magicycle on riding in these conditions as I do quite often, I love the heat. They were really great in their response in saying, and this is their comment, "are people still driving Tesla or other electric cars"? They also said the batteries are desighned similiar to the Tesla batteries in cars. And I also asked them about charging the batteries in my garage which can be quite warm. They said to allow the batteries to sit and rest for 3 to 4 hours before charging and like the electric cars where folks charge them in their hot garages, it was okay to charge the Magicycle battery in the garage where it is quite warm. Can I get your folks opinion on the charging of the batteries in a warm garage? I have thought of bringing them into the house but Magicycle reassured me it was okay to charge them in the garage. Give me your thoughts and thanks for reading this posts.
Ride On

Hi Everyone, new hear so trying to learn as much as I can. I live in the Phoenix area and right now we are having some 110 to 115 degree weather. I had contacted Magicycle on riding in these conditions as I do quite often, I love the heat. They were really great in their response in saying, and this is their comment, "are people still driving Tesla or other electric cars"? They also said the batteries are desighned similiar to the Tesla batteries in cars. And I also asked them about charging the batteries in my garage which can be quite warm. They said to allow the batteries to sit and rest for 3 to 4 hours before charging and like the electric cars where folks charge them in their hot garages, it was okay to charge the Magicycle battery in the garage where it is quite warm. Can I get your folks opinion on the charging of the batteries in a warm garage? I have thought of bringing them into the house but Magicycle reassured me it was okay to charge them in the garage. Give me your thoughts and thanks for reading this posts.
Ride On
I would not charge in a garage when the temps were 110 outside... Don't want to take any chances with battery fires.

Also, doubt bike batteries are the same as EV batteries, but that's just me 😁.

Is Magicycle willing to assume the liability if there is a fire?

I too live in AZ where my garage gets to 110+ degrees so I bring my bike into the house to minimize the chance of the heat damaging batteries, or other heat sensitive components. Whether it preserves anything is a good question. Why take a chance with an expensive piece of equipment when it is so easy to park it in a cooler spot.
I move many heat sensitive things from my garage to a cool spot in the core of my home to keep it out of the searing heat of the garage. It just makes me feel better too.

I agree with all of the points, but it’s a major flaw if bikes cannot be left on a charger indefinitely like EVs and virtually all other electronic devices.

They simply need software logic that puts the charger to sleep after 100% has been reached and not poll the battery again for x hours, or until it is plugged in again. This should not be left to the end user.

I agree with all of the points, but it’s a major flaw if bikes cannot be left on a charger indefinitely like EVs and virtually all other electronic devices.

They simply need software logic that puts the charger to sleep after 100% has been reached and not poll the battery again for x hours, or until it is plugged in again. This should not be left to the end user.

"it’s a major flaw if bikes cannot be left on a charger indefinitely like EVs and virtually all other electronic devices."

I don't believe anyone recommends that l-ion battery EV's or electronic devices be left on chargers indefinitely.

"This should not be left to the end user."
If I own the device to whom should it be left to?

"it’s a major flaw if bikes cannot be left on a charger indefinitely like EVs and virtually all other electronic devices."

I don't believe anyone recommends that l-ion battery EV's or electronic devices be left on chargers indefinitely.

"This should not be left to the end user."
If I own the device to whom should it be left to?
You can leave any EV connected to a charger indefinitely. Any brand, any model. They have built in logic that allows the car to sleep without being pinged by the charger. Imagine how inconvenient that would be if you had to wake up, run out the door and unplug your car at a different time every morning.

It should be left to the software. Not everybody can baby their battery, and mistakes happen. Totally preventable with competent software.

If the e-bike BMS knows to stop charging when the limit is reached, why continuously ping it to check?

I would bet the cheap Chinese battery & charger combinations, which are causing the rash of lithium battery fires, were originally designed to turn off when the battery is fully charged. Electronics, as well as software can fail. Why not unplug to be safe? Even better, use a timer so you won't forget.

My eBike Batterie Charger lies on a Concrete Floor while charging the Batteries. Concrete can act as a heat sink which should help. Office Door is open affording a clear view to the Bike. From listening what some suggested I will also put the Charger on a Timer. ---UC

Here we go:

What else???
This reminds me of the Smokey the Bear slogan, that only I can prevent forest fires. Well, I've been trying mightily ever since I first saw that admonition 70 years ago, but forest fires keep happening. What am I doing wrong?

(Sorry for the snarky comment. Couldn't help myself)

Last edited:
My battery charges in my shed detached from the house. I have a Ring camera that I check charging status. When the bike charger light turns green then I use a smart plug and turn power off to the charger from my phone. Simple alarm on my phone reminds me to check the camera every hour after I get back from a ride. Only had this set up for a couple of days. I guess best case is still remove the charger plug from the wall.

That applies to systems that have battery/motor communication. Matching correct voltage is what’s needed. I think this statement keeps popping because often times riders are clueless as to correct voltage.
I've got a fire extinguisher 15 feet away, but I've heard that they are useless in a lithium battery 🔥.
that’s sadly the case.
You can leave any EV connected to a charger indefinitely. Any brand, any model. They have built in logic that allows the car to sleep without being pinged by the charger. Imagine how inconvenient that would be if you had to wake up, run out the door and unplug your car at a different time every morning.

It should be left to the software. Not everybody can baby their battery, and mistakes happen. Totally preventable with competent software.

If the e-bike BMS knows to stop charging when the limit is reached, why continuously ping it to check?
that’s horrible advice. You’re forgetting about all those cheap budget systems without a sophisticated BMS. Please stop!

That applies to systems that have battery/motor communication. Matching correct voltage is what’s needed. I think this statement keeps popping because often times riders are clueless as to correct voltage.

that’s sadly the case.

that’s horrible advice. You’re forgetting about all those cheap budget systems without a sophisticated BMS. Please stop!
You completely misread my post.

I am not giving that advice, I am saying that we SHOULD have minimum standards that do not require all of these steps.

Would you like to have rely on your downstairs neighbor to dutifully unplug and manage their ebike battery to prevent fires?

Back