Bafang BBS02 resistance

I'm struggling to believe there IS some sort of unusual resistance, electrical or mechanical.

OK, assuming there is some sort of unusual resistance, it would seem to me that you could tell mechanical from electrical with simple power on/power off tests? Maybe turn the bike upside down and see if the rear wheel "coasts" differently power on/off? Difficulty to turn the crank power on/off?

OK, assuming there is some sort of unusual resistance, it would seem to me that you could tell mechanical from electrical with simple power on/power off tests? Maybe turn the bike upside down and see if the rear wheel "coasts" differently power on/off? Difficulty to turn the crank power on/off?

It's fine coasting, brakes are not binding, wheel hub is ok.

Coasts fine with power on and off, just under pedal power a lot of resistance from bafang unit. You can feel it with low Pas mode you are going faster than the motor

It's fine coasting, brakes are not binding, wheel hub is ok.

Coasts fine with power on and off, just under pedal power a lot of resistance from bafang unit. You can feel it with low Pas mode you are going faster than the motor
In the bold, struggling with what you are saying. "Faster than the motor"?

"A lot of resistance" as compared to what? A non e-bike equivalent? If that's the case, wondering about your expectations. Do you believe that this conversion should be as easy to pedal as a non powered bike? That comparing the 2 is realistic?

In the bold, struggling with what you are saying. "Faster than the motor"?

"A lot of resistance" as compared to what? A non e-bike equivalent? If that's the case, wondering about your expectations. Do you believe that this conversion should be as easy to pedal as a non powered bike? That comparing the 2 is realistic?

I expect resistance but not so much literally you cannot pedal uphill on pedal power due to massive amount of resistance.

It's not the extra weight I've carried more weight in rucksack, trailer etc.

These newer BBS02's must be different. I can pedal mine in PAS1 (9 level PAS set) all the way to 18 mph smoothly, and then I run out of leg power. With no battery, I've gone several hours on leg power alone, but that was 5 years ago. There were some hills. Doubt I could do that today.

I expect resistance but not so much literally you cannot pedal uphill on pedal power due to massive amount of resistance.

It's not the extra weight I've carried more weight in rucksack, trailer etc.
If you can't feel that "extra" resistance on the flat and level, you need to turn up the power a bit more for the hills.

Speaking from a resistance only standpoint there's no difference from level to hill. For sure, the hill is going to take more power to climb. That's only common sense.

If you can't feel that "extra" resistance on the flat and level, you need to turn up the power a bit more for the hills.

The resistance is there on the flat and level. And on inclines its worse than my fixie that has 46/16 loaded up with 10kg

All done, again. This just keeps going in circles.

All done, again. This just keeps going in circles.
No wonder I became nauseous trying to digest these 4 pages.
FG.puke.gif

Well, I don't doubt you're feeling what you feel, so it must be a defective motor if it's fighting your unpowered pedaling. Maybe someone in your biking circle has another BBS02 you can compare.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same issue. Pedal happily along at p1 on a flat and then suddenly it’s as if the bike motor starts fighting you. The only solution is to jump up a level or two until it stops fighting.

Back