Bafang BBS-02/HD vs M600 vs M620 (Ultra)

The 14oz cartridge provides several lifetimes of supply....I have thought a few times of offering to send along the amount needed from my leftover but it would be more hassle and expense than just ordering it from BTI, which is cheaper than Amazon btw.

Here is the link for future reference:

Yeah, why use a grease like sch100 that meets the standard for use in our application when we can use our mechanical engineering degrees and use a product we’ve evaluated for Bafang drive usage

NOT

Yeah, why use a grease like sch100 that meets the standard for use in our application when we can use our mechanical engineering degrees and use a product we’ve evaluated for Bafang drive usage

NOT

I'm using MOBIL SCH100 NLGI #2 now and the motor at times can still be annoyingly loud... though better than when received from Bafang with just a pat of butter lithium grease. Much louder than a BBS* motor.
If you read the literature on the Mobil it's designed as an aviation bearing grease... though can also be used with electrical motors, but not necessarily or specifically designated for a gear box. I'm only partially satisfied with its performance.

Gear boxes often use NLGI #0 which Cornhead grease is. The issue is that cornhead is also thixotropic which thins under load and can possibly spill over into the electronics. But it's this property that I'm guessing is what makes the gears quieter. I've seen many overload it with cornhead and so far that no one has "reported" a failure.
I'm going to try it in a proper amount and protect the electrical with a barrier.
IMHO if it does quiet the motor it's worth the risk as the motor is a joy otherwise.

I've been using Mobilgrease 28 for about 3 years now, maybe more, and wouldn't use anything else. Why? The post above hints at the main reason, it doesn't migrate, it's clay base means it sticks where it is wanted, if i ever have to open any of my motors the grease is ALWAYS A1, like the day i applied it, nice and even, same colour, no emulsification.

A few tips; DON'T pack the motor with grease. Less is more, the reduction in perceived noise is because the packed grease creates an acoustic barrier, yes it lessens the sound a bit but it reduces efficiency and creates an environment where the grease expands under heat and can bust seals and/or force migration. Coat the teeth, a little bit on the cog faces and on BBS' fill the area around the small cog, it gets distributed as you ride and creates a nice even coating (Lekkie replacement bbshd cases have a grease port at that point in order to evenly distribute the grease without having to open the motor)

ALWAYS replace the gasket, use clean hands/gloves for this. Put the gasket over the pins, it eliminates the chance of pinching it and damaging it whilst putting the two halves back together. (GBK sell gaskets)

Finally, just ride, you regreased the motor, it's a little quieter and a bit smoother, if it's still too noisy get chunkier tyres, no one will hear the motor.....

I've been using Mobilgrease 28 for about 3 years now, maybe more, and wouldn't use anything else. Why? The post above hints at the main reason, it doesn't migrate, it's clay base means it sticks where it is wanted, if i ever have to open any of my motors the grease is ALWAYS A1, like the day i applied it, nice and even, same colour, no emulsification.

A few tips; DON'T pack the motor with grease. Less is more, the reduction in perceived noise is because the packed grease creates an acoustic barrier, yes it lessens the sound a bit but it reduces efficiency and creates an environment where the grease expands under heat and can bust seals and/or force migration. Coat the teeth, a little bit on the cog faces and on BBS' fill the area around the small cog, it gets distributed as you ride and creates a nice even coating (Lekkie replacement bbshd cases have a grease port at that point in order to evenly distribute the grease without having to open the motor)

ALWAYS replace the gasket, use clean hands/gloves for this. Put the gasket over the pins, it eliminates the chance of pinching it and damaging it whilst putting the two halves back together. (GBK sell gaskets)

Finally, just ride, you regreased the motor, it's a little quieter and a bit smoother, if it's still too noisy get chunkier tyres, no one will hear the motor....
I've been doing the same for just as long with the SHC100 on the BBS and for that it works well... but not so much as far as noise with the Ultra.
I agree on using the proper amount and even distribution so would avoid using a grease port for that reason... but louder/ less efficient tires is not the answer with the Ultra for me.

Back